Sun Audio Group Buy

audio toys from sunny Cebu!

Moderator: fld

Sun Audio Group Buy

Postby fld » Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:31 am

Anyone interested in a group buy for Sun Audio amps ?

Here's the deal. Original Sun SV 2a3 amp Kit with volume pot.MADE IN JAPAN with original Tamura transformers 220/240 Volts. Need to buy this or other Sun Amps/pre-amps as a group to be able to get a very good pricing on them.

Got my sample amp direct from Japan a week ago and out of the box with their stock sovtek tubes I knew there was something special about this amp. I couldnt believe that it drove my 84 db spendor s3/5 to moderately loud spl's. I also tried the 82.5 db LS35a with it and it sounds heavenly!! (from 10 feet listening distance i get a healthy 75 to 80 db, volume attenuator at 8 o clock position) considering that my listening room is 39 feet x 16 feet. Can describe the sound as sweet, detailed, tight and a nice glow in the midrange. Bass for a 3.5 watts is articulate and tuneful!! I wonder what these would do to more efficient speakers.

In a review from stereophile magazine Vol 26.No. 6 (Class A Tube Rating in Stereophile)

3.5w pc ! Underpowered or not, there's a magic about this amp. Gurgled St. The SV2a3 is self-biasing with no loop negative feedback and a sound that's glorious!! Super resolution of low level details. Spacious soundstaging and pinpoint imaging. great bass... harmonic presentation to die for... a lovely liquidity that I can describe only as ravishing, especially with woodwinds and female vocalist. You get the idea ? ST even used the amp to drive the full range 7 feet high $32,900 / pair Triangle Magellan speakers. "The sound was superb--alive, immediate, harmonically right... I heard stunning immediacy. The presentation sounded like music, not like hi fi. Though the amp ran out of power in the bass during loud passages, "microdynamics were handled particularly well. Kit price $1250, assembled $2199.80

A friend of mine who exports horn speakers to the US have compared this amp to his custom made 45/2a3 silver wound Jack Eliano Trannys (US7500) to the Sun SV2a3, the $7500 amp beat it by a small margin but never blew it away. He even compared the SV2a3 to the Fi-x monoblocks, Wright Sounds, Cary, and other custom made amps costing thousands more. He said, the Sun 2a3 is the amp to beat at those price range.

Here's the deal. We need to order 10 units or more to get a special price from Sun Audio. See prices below.

The 2A3 kit form comes with all the tubes (2 pcs 6sn7, 1 pc 5u4, 2 pcs 2a3: all sovtek), tamura transformers (input and output stages), wiring, etc. All you need to do is connect the wires and solder. The tranny's, the sockets,volume pots,capacitors and the major parts is already installed in the amp's chassis. Its basically 80% to 85% done. Real easy and the instructions are quite detailed to finish the job which includes the schematic diagram and the wiring lay out.

The weight of the unit is a hefty 16 kilos. Grey finish. Comes with a volume pot for left and right channel so no need of a pre-amp. Tried a pre-amp and it sounded best when CD is direct to the inputs. The fit and finish is similar to the Air Tight. Its very clean and its solid like a tank! No loose ends!! Tons of things to modify if budget permits but out of the box, wow, its really very good already!!

If you are interested in some other Sun Audio products, pls feel free to contact me and ask for price quotation. We do not have to buy all 6-10 units of the SV2a3, can be a sort or variety of their Sun Amps & Pre-amps.

Prices as follows in KIT FORM all with dual volume pot: (inquire for factory assembled if interested): (first ten people to sign up gets additional 8% discount).

a.) SV 2a3 kit stereo $1050
b.) SV KT88 kit stereo $1050
b.) SV 300b be kit stereo $2170
c.) SV 6V6 SE $680.00
d.) SV-VT 25 Limited $870.00
e.) SVC 500 pre-amp without in / output transformers) $1050
f.) SVC 500 preamp with in / output transformers $1550.00

Pls send Private message or email direct at: fld@mozcom.com or 0917-321-2079 for the payment procedure & other inquiries. Delivery time will be about sometime December. Need to act fast though so can make it with the shipment schedules.

Their webpage is: http://www2.big.or.jp/~sunaudio/

Picture below is an SV25, which the SV 2A3 looks about 99%.

Thanks for looking.

Ferdie
Last edited by fld on Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

It's true they sound great!

Postby Tubedude » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:20 am

Last Sunday afternoon I was treated to hearing a new class A Sun 2A3 amp driving the diminutive BBC mini monitors. This famous near-field speaker has a brutal impedance curve making it a poor choice for low powered SET amps.
The system was set-up along the short (5m?) wall of the Sound N Images showroom, not the world-class listening room. Expecting the worst I was very surprised to hear ~80dB clear, clean music with that sweet SET sound. Over the years I have owned and listened to many different SET amps. George Wright of Wright Sound lives a couple of blocks from my home in Kent Washington. I’ve owned his 2A3 amps and now use his line stage in my system. Anyway my experiences have taught me to keep my ears and mind open but this was certainly not what I expected! Next week I hope to listen to the same amp and speakers after it has more fully broken in.
Sam Telig of Stereophile magazine owns a Sun 2A3 amp as one of his reference units. Now I know why. Trust your ears!
It was very nice meeting Ferdie at Sounds N Images here in Cebu City and listening to some great music..........Regards Dan H
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:15 am

ferdie, you just discovered the sound of single-ended triodes :D congrats!
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Re: Sun Audio Group Buy

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:35 am

fld wrote:Prices as follows in KIT FORM all with dual volume pot: (inquire for factory assembled if interested): (first ten people to sign up gets additional 8% discount).

a.) SV 2a3 kit stereo $1050
b.) SV KT88 kit stereo $1050
b.) SV 300b be kit stereo $2170
c.) SV 6V6 SE $680.00
d.) SV-VT 25 Limited $870.00
e.) SVC 500 pre-amp without in / output transformers) $1050
f.) SVC 500 preamp with in / output transformers $1550.00

Ferdie, thanks for making these products available to Pinoydiophiles! Looks great and am sure they sound superb!

Let me know via PM delivered cost to Alabang net of (very special) discount for this :) :

Francis
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Update

Postby fld » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:33 am

So far three individuals have expressed & have booked on the Sun amps. We need a few more to complete the minimum order requirement so can process the order. 5 more individuals would be great.

Dont miss this rare opportunity.

Thanks for looking.

Ferdie
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:00 pm

Ferds,

Re the faceplate and knobs on the amp above - can we get these from the factory or are they aftermarket parts?
KD
Legend
Legend

Re: Sun Audio Group Buy

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:56 pm

Ferdie, thanks for the update....

can't wait to get the amp!

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fld » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:37 pm

same here, cant wait to get my 6V6 & the Sun phono stage among the others