FS: Analysis Plus Optical Cables

audio toys from sunny Cebu!

Moderator: fld

FS: Analysis Plus Optical Cables

Postby fld » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:35 pm

Yup, Analysis Plus recently brought out into the market their new optical, or also called as toslink cables. <DVD to Receiver set-up>.

They look hot & they sound very good.

Price is new: P1,750. w/ shipping!!

www.analysis-plus.com/images/othergraph ... icsweb.gif

Regards,
Ferdie
0917-321-2079
Last edited by fld on Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:47 am

Mura yan Ferds ah! A well made Optical is supposedly "better" than coax. The reason early optical cables got a bad rap is becase they were not well constructed.

Given AP's reputation, they wouldn't release an optical cable at this time not unless they believed in the produt. This is great!
mozilla

AP Opticals

Postby fld » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:58 am

Moz,

If you drop by my store when you come to Cebu, you should check out its quality of construction. The size of the cables are as big as the AP Oval One Interconnects. The best part, the connectors are made out of aluminum and are knurled.

Its sounds very good, its really well made and it looks gorgeous!!!!
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

me!

Postby akyatbundok » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:12 am

i want one! paano kukunin?
akyatbundok

to: akyatbundok

Postby fld » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:22 am

just contact me @ 0917-321-2079 for further details .
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:58 pm

Hope to drop by one of these days...
mozilla

Analysis Plus optical cable

Postby akyatbundok » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:48 pm

i received it today... thanks fld!

the quality of the construction is absolutely first rate. this is my first optical cable. i've never really considered toslink before because of the flimsy quality of the ones i usually find in the stores. this one looks just like the picture. got an ixos coaxial for my dvd player w/c cost me 40% more.

can't wait to go home and try it!
akyatbundok

Postby mozilla » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:00 pm

Let us know how it goes....
mozilla

AP optical vs. Ixos 105

Postby akyatbundok » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:58 pm

I briefly had the chance to compare the Analysis Plus optical cable to my Ixos 105 coaxial digital cable. Unfortunately, one of my neighbors complained to the guards about the noise i was making at 11pm in the evening, so i had to lie low for a while. My dvd player has 2 digital outs, one optical and one coaxial, so its easy to do an A/B comparison by switching inputs in my receiver. I think i must have switched at least 20x between the coaxial and optical inputs and the results are...

I honestly could not tell the difference.

Which to me was no surprise. Coming from the IT world, i have a notion that digital cables are supposed to just transfer bits of 1's and 0's. Of course the receiving end should account for transmission errors, which means that the quality of the transmission does not just depend on the cable, but also on the protocol and electronics that transmit and receive the signal. All that the cable needs to do is NOT to drop any signal. Which should be easy enough for such a short distance (1meter).

With analog cables there is probably a difference in sound, but with digital cables, i look for durability and quality of construction. I have an audio-technica interconnect w/c i bought in japan 11 years ago. Other cables have come and gone, but that one is still in use. Looking at the AP it looks like it could last just as long.
akyatbundok

Optical were not to be as good as coaxial

Postby fld » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:17 pm

after an extensive test I also conducted I was surprised that the AP optical toslink cable was just as good as my $150.00 coaxial cable (not mentioning brand). This was a DVD to receiver configuration.

Before this cable came along, I always had to convince customers to buy the coaxial, but now, for a $30.00 price, one can get very good performance out of the toslink cable which most low end receivers have for inputs unlike coaxial inputs which is only found on higher end models.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: AP optical vs. Ixos 105

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:37 pm

akyatbundok wrote:I honestly could not tell the difference.

Which to me was no surprise. Coming from the IT world, i have a notion that digital cables are supposed to just transfer bits of 1's and 0's. Of course the receiving end should account for transmission errors, which means that the quality of the transmission does not just depend on the cable, but also on the protocol and electronics that transmit and receive the signal. All that the cable needs to do is NOT to drop any signal. Which should be easy enough for such a short distance (1meter).

It is possible that some gear/set-up may not be able to resolve the differences beween cables, digital or analog...just as it is possible that 2 distinct cables can sound alike.
rtsyrtsy

Postby akyatbundok » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:53 pm

That's very possible, rtsyrtsy. My gear (and ears?) may not be resolving the subtle differences. As far as satisfaction goes, i'm very happy with this AP cable. My impression of an optical cable before was formed by those thin black cords that sell for around P900. Makes me wonder why optical cables were made like that, when the networking world considers them the king of bandwidth. A 1m fibre-channel cable from IBM costs about 3k (pesos), and they definitely transfer alot more than is required by PCM or DD/DTS. I used to wonder if i could get one of those and rig a DIY toslink... Nahh. This will do for a great price... Thanks Ferdie!! Satisfied suki here... hehe :D :D :D :D
akyatbundok

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:39 am

akyatbundok wrote:As far as satisfaction goes, i'm very happy with this AP cable.

And that is the most important thing.

Just to make it clear, I mentioned that not all gear (and you're right, not all ears) can resolve differences in any audio equipment, not just cables, because what you said about "not hearing differences" between this and that piece of gear/set-up may mislead newbies to conclude that any coax or digital cable will yield no difference.

I was not intending to take potshots at your gear, I have a DVD player -based system, too. Nor do I have any right to question what you hear.

akyatbundok wrote:A 1m fibre-channel cable from IBM costs about 3k (pesos), and they definitely transfer alot more than is required by PCM or DD/DTS. I used to wonder if i could get one of those and rig a DIY toslink... Nahh.

Madugo yata yan. Hindi ka kaya mangailangan ng fiber splicer at bonder niyan? :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby akyatbundok » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:44 am

i took pictures! ganda no? nag practice muna ako ng macro photography (and a little bit of photoshop). onga rtsy, magandang project sana yun pero mukhang mahirap. baka sayang pa yung network cable namin haha. cheers bro, thanks for clearing up my post, i agree with you.

akyatbundok

Postby fld » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:42 am

bump

1 piece left......
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Octaver » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:04 am

1 piece left......[/quote] - got it!

Hi Ferdie,

I was able to audition the optical cable last night until 12MN. I can hardly believe my experience. It's true that digital only reads machines language which is 0's and 1's but pls. not to forget the material Factor.

I test it using my DTS-CD, DVD Movie, DVD-Audio(thru-DTS) and XRCD using my Pioneer DV-655 player as my transport and my Marantz SR-6300 receiver. It's my first time to enjoy 6 channel Audio.

Now i'm thinking of I/C upgrade using Analysis Plus Oval for my two (2) channel gear. Thank you also for the A/S Support.
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audio_Tyro » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:22 am

Congrats June!

Can't wait to hear your jaw drop to the floor when you hear Oval interconnects for your two-channel gear! Btw, if you use a solid state amp, the Oval 1 is among the best you can find. Paired with Oval 12 speaker cables, and boy hoboy! Galing!

May we know the speakers and amps you're using?
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fld » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:40 am

Audio Tyro,

The Oval 1 is darn good interconnect when it bested a $400 interconnect a customer had. No names I will mention!! Its that good.

I've been using the Oval 1 on a Airtight 300b amp and its been great with that amp. Come to think about it, whats an $89 interconnect doing on a $5000++ 300b amp ?

Yeah, its that good!
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Oval 1

Postby Octaver » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:38 pm

Audio Tyro,

I've read your AP Oval 1 I/C review it's really convincing! I'm just newbie with 2 channel audio, I believe it's more exciting but costly hobby. You need to invest for your satisfaction. Below is my initial set-up for 2 channel.

CD PLAYER: SHANLING CD-S100 HDCH PLAYER (Made in China) but its using Burr Brown 1732 DAC
SS Ampli: Pioneer A-307R (Bought in Sing)
Speaker: Klipsch RB-3
Sp. Wire: US Made 12 AWG, OF wire bought in Raon
Interconnect: DIY Generic

I'm planning for an upgrade soon!
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audio_Tyro » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:35 pm

Hi June, newbie in two channel setup eh? Tapos Shanling tubed cd player! Hayup! When I was newbie in two-channel, my cd player was a Denon Discman!!! :lol: You must have good advisor there.

Thanks for your nice words on my review. If I were to recall which of the two (Oval 1 interconnects and Oval 12 speaker cables) gave the biggest impact, I think I'd pick the speaker cables (Oval 12s). But of course, I won't take one off from my system now. Away yan!

I also tried a US$400 interconnects, and I returned it. Hindi ganun ka ganda ang matching compared to the Oval 1, although mas pino pero lifeless na, less liquid pa, parang naging mechanical masyado tunog.
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to >> Sounds N Images <<