NEW ADVICE TO NON-STICKY SELLERS

Trade LPs and CDs here. No pirated materials please

Moderator: TheAnalogSource

Re: NEW ADVICE ON MULTIPLE THREAD & OTHER CONCERNS - 9/10/08

Postby tenderobject » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:55 am

bb3 wrote:
Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I remember one reason for the implementation of this rule was sort of a voluntary fund raising thing for the forum. I’m all for that intention. But when the means to that goal denies members of experiencing a wider range of music due to the limited selections, I suppose the original architects of this rule might rethink and revise.

ako'y sumasangayon..
tenderobject
Master
Master

Re: NEW ADVICE ON MULTIPLE THREAD & OTHER CONCERNS - 9/10/08

Postby 99khan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:55 am

bb3 wrote:Have been seriously thinking about this rule for some time now. And though I admit I saw nothing wrong at first, recent developments have made me think otherwise.
With my moderator's hat aside, here are just some of my thoughts.

Before. when any member could freely sell LPs/CDs regardless of quantity, the software section gave members/buyers the benefit and advantage of purchasing from a larger playing field with more genres and titles to choose from. I believe this rule has curtailed these choices thus depriving present members of one of the original objectives of Wiredstate. Also, this thread was one of the most dynamic sections in the forum, enticing more members to log in regularly and in the process, joining the other sections/threads as well.

As a seller, I still have around 20 boxes of LPs (local lang nga) to dispose of. But posting 5 at a time can be a pain and is not as attractive to the buyers as, say, having 50-100 titles to choose from. This 5 LP rule just ain’t worth the time and effort for me.

As a buyer, I feel I surely am missing out on some titles that are now languishing in some bodega or worse, have been sold elsewhere because of this rule. Sayang.

I also want to point out that while posting in the marketplace software section is primarily to sell, sometimes that is NOT the only reason. When DiscExchange was still operational a few years ago, I used to post our new releases/sale here at WS a week before we announce it the public. I wanted our members to get first shot at the choices. Meron kasi kaming mga non-WS customers na kung bumili ay by the tens of thousands of pesos per visit. Choice titles would have been gobbled up by these guys in a blink, leaving WS with latak. Some of the older members would remember this because even before the day of the sale, I would give them the discounted price na. It may have been a bad business decision then but one I have never regretted up to now. It was because of this that I was able to share to some members the sonics of The Nylons or the insight of Buffalo Springfield.

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I remember one reason for the implementation of this rule was sort of a voluntary fund raising thing for the forum. I’m all for that intention. But when the means to that goal denies members of experiencing a wider range of music due to the limited selections, I suppose the original architects of this rule might rethink and revise.

Guys, music appreciation is a never-ending learning process. One can never say na kumpleto na ang collection niya. Surely you will bump into something new that will tickle your fancy or something old you may have forgotten. How else would I have found out that “Another Time, Another Place” was a Hugo Montenegro number from the Good Vibrations album if not posted by one of our ex-sellers.
Being one of the music section mods, I feel strongly about this.
Panay Patricia Barber at Amanda McBroom na lang ba ang paguusapan natin dito, when the whole gamut from Abba to Zappa is there for the taking and discovering.

Ok, so how will this sit with those sellers who paid for the privilege of posting more than 5 titles? I have no ready answers for this.
But as one fellow member aptly said to me a while ago, “Why not reward the few who contributed to the fund instead of punishing those that didn’t”

Not a few may be sharing this sentiment.

Gentlemen and ladies,

If you can please allow me to express my humble opinion...

I agree with bb3 100%. WS seller rules should be revisited.

You will not be able to sell individual records from a box set, will you? Take the Linda Rondstandt 3-LP set or the Reader's Digest sets. Do you think there will be a buyer out there that would only buy 1 LP from a set? It would also make no sense for a seller to break a 5-LP box set, am I right? LET BOX SETS BE COUNTED AS ONE TITLE. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?

I think sometimes we nitpick on some very trivial things. This is a hobby. I do not believe that many sellers in WS sell to become rich. Sure, for some, this is a business. For others, they just want to dispose of unwanted stuff. Whether they make a profit or not is up to them. What is important is that the hobby is kept alive and more choices are offered to the community.

I personally stopped selling last March because I ran out of things to post. But I resumed posting last October after a 7-month hiatus and have abided with the 5 LP limit for non-sticky sellers. People know me by now and I know some people's taste to know who likes what. Posting in WS does not only benefit the seller. It benefits buyers just as much...and the hobby is the ultimate winner.

I know moderators have the best of intentions. I am only a small fry in this vast ocean we call Wired State. But we are all in synch in making the forum and hobby work. For many people 3K is nothing. Some even donated twice that amount. Some say you cannot put a price tag to the camaraderie and friendships established here. True. But for others, 3K is a lot of money. Or maybe the rationale of imposing it does not make sense to them. So we don’t extend them the “privilege” of selling more? They lose, prospective buyers lose, and the hobby is the ultimate loser.

Please consider loosening up the belt a bit. Surely, there’s more room for improvement and accomodation.

In closing, thank you for this community. As I have said it many times over, we are blessed to have a forum where we can express and share our views, experiences, opinions, agreements and disagreements, sharing the joy of audio and music. There's plenty of things here for everyone. Let's keep it positive and moving forward.

If at the end of the day, existing rules stay...so be it. More Power to WS!
99khan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: NEW ADVICE ON MULTIPLE THREAD & OTHER CONCERNS - Dec 2008

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 am

BUMP FOR NEW ADVICE TO NON-STICKY SELLERS
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Re: NEW ADVICE TO NON-STICKY SELLERS- Dec 2008

Postby Vinylhead » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:31 pm

oo nga naman. may katwiran sila. cant wait till i hit 50!
Vinylhead
Citizen
Citizen

Re: NEW ADVICE TO NON-STICKY SELLERS

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:21 am

new guidelines will be issued soon. 5 lp limit temporarily lifted for non-regular sellers. 50 minimum posts rule still applies...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to MARKETPLACE - Software