Vinyl grading & notice to LP sellers (Feb 8, 2008)

Trade LPs and CDs here. No pirated materials please

Moderator: TheAnalogSource

Vinyl grading & notice to LP sellers (Feb 8, 2008)

Postby arnoldc » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:19 pm

A moderator's notice have been posted for each regular vinyl sellers in the forum. Here is the text of the notice-

Moderator's Notice:

It has become a practice lately that your grading do not conform to the required grading here at the forum.

Please review and conform the the grading guide here - viewtopic.php?t=4541

I do understand that the sellers would like to be more granular in the grading and I sympathize with you. However, this has become confusing to the buyers.A compromise has been made on the grading levels, we recognize that the previously posted one does not cover some conditions, hence the updated grading.

Finally, everyone makes mistakes in grading. It is easy to use a VG + record as NM (M-) when you are attempting to sell it. This is a problem all dealers and collectors are prone to make and must be aware of. So don’t condemn a dealer for one mistake, but make him/her aware; but, when the mistake is the norm, find someone else to buy your records from.

Please conform to this grading for your new posts from here one.

Thank you and Happy Selling.

For the buyers, please review the upgraded grading system and find out if your sellers complied to what you got.

In addition, we urge you to inform the sellers if a grade is not what it was claimed to be. They're humans, their eyes also degrade :D sometime the light isn't bright enough, sometimes they're sleepy. So make them aware of any discrepancy in the grading and I'm sure they can rectify it.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:42 am

To ensure calibration/consistency of grading of LPs by power sellers at WS, I will start to do random verification of LPs posted for sale and check grading used versus standards.

The threads will be temporarily locked and feedback will be given to sellers.

Over the recent past, I have noticed that some LPs have been mis-graded consistently thus may mislead buyers.

We hope to address that with the cooperation of the sellers.

Thanks for your understanding.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:31 am

All sellers are once again reminded to please ensure:

All LPs/CDs are properly rated based on standard ratings posted at WS. Find them (guidelines) and read them.

LPs are in a condition you yourself would like if you were buying them.
DO NOT sell your junk LPs here. this is not your ukay-ukay forum.

violators will be banned.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:06 am

ATTENTION ALL VINYL SELLERS: YOU ARE NOW REQUIRED TO PLAYGRADE ALL OPEN VINYL YOU SELL COSTING PhP1000 AND UP. VIOLATORS WILL HAVE THEIR THREADS LOCKED UNTIL THEY CONFORM.

Due to the recent influx of multiple sellers, rare and high priced LPs, it is in the best interests of potential buyers that you, the seller playgrade the LPs for sale. We want to avoid misunderstanding between buyers and sellers. Please cooperate so that the flow of the marketplace will go smoothly. Ty
Last edited by stereophile on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby arnoldc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 am

I would just like to express my thought that a play grade is not definitive.

For example, if I play grade on my turntable with the Zyx I can claim 5 ticks/pops both sides. If I play grade using my Transfiguration, I may say 2.

Then I play it on my turntable with AT cartridge and there are dozens of ticks/pops.

So, should the seller also reveal the equipment that was used to play grade it?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:15 am

arnold- No problem with me if you want the sellers to post the gears used to playgrade. What is important to me is that the vinyl is both visual & play graded so that the potential buyer has an idea if it is worthy of his reservation.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 am

I know visual and playgrading can be subjective. It can be helpful when deciding to make a reservation on a vinyl. In the end, it is up the buyer to decide if it is worth his money.

To the Vinyl Sellers- Pls. make the necessary adjustments today. If you cannot playgrade them yet, then pull them out temporarily. Will enforce tomorrow. Ty
Last edited by stereophile on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby arnoldc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:34 am

I would help posting at least what cartridge was used in play grading.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 am

arnoldc wrote:I would help posting at least what cartridge was used in play grading.

Agree. Cart/tonearm/ttable/amp/speakers :?:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby jadis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:42 am

Hi Doc,

Question lang. Does play grading mean playing the entire record? That could take up to an hour of self listening ( not too pleasant if one does not like the record :) ). And also, do we grade how many ticks or pops for one song? There could be ten songs in an LP. The other way is to play grade the first minute of the song, but ticks could still happen in the next few minutes of the cut.

While I find no problem with play grading per se, this is just to fine tune the process.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 am

jadis wrote:Hi Doc,

Question lang. Does play grading mean playing the entire record? That could take up to an hour of self listening ( not too pleasant if one does not like the record :) ). And also, do we grade how many ticks or pops for one song? There could be ten songs in an LP. The other way is to play grade the first minute of the song, but ticks could still happen in the next few minutes of the cut.

While I find no problem with play grading per se, this is just to fine tune the process.

Philip- Unfortunately, this means playgrading BOTH sides. I know it can be tedious, but bear in mind WS does not EARN anything from your sales. This is a courtesy extended by WS to it's fellow members. The moderators are hear to protect the interests of all members.

You just have to mention if the whole side plays quiet, plays with an occasional tick/pop, noisy on this track and so forth. This will help ensure a more accurate grading. Just have a cup of coffee while listening. :wink:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby arnoldc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:54 am

Agree, if we do this, we do this in full. Play grade of one track is useless.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 am

stereophile wrote:
jadis wrote:Hi Doc,

Philip- Unfortunately, this means playgrading BOTH sides. I know it can be tedious, but bear in mind WS does not EARN anything from your sales. This is a courtesy extended by WS to it's fellow members. The moderators are hear to protect the interests of all members.

You just have to mention if the whole side plays quiet, plays with an occasional tick/pop, noisy on this track and so forth. This will help ensure a more accurate grading. Just have a cup of coffee while listening. :wink:

Thanks for clarifying the process, Doc.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks Doc! Will comply...however I can do this only for currently available LPs...for pre-orders, can do this once LPs have arrived...Thanks! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:58 am

Your welcome, Philip. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 am

Superman wrote:Thanks Doc! Will comply...however I can do this only for currently available LPs...for pre-orders, can do this once LPs have arrived...Thanks! :D

I fully understand your predicament. You'll have to wait till they arrive. SEALED LPs are not included, of course.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Superman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 am

stereophile wrote:
Superman wrote:Thanks Doc! Will comply...however I can do this only for currently available LPs...for pre-orders, can do this once LPs have arrived...Thanks! :D

I fully understand your predicament. You'll have to wait till they arrive. SEALED LPs are not included, of course.

Noted, doc...thanks! PM-ed you...regards! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby tenderobject » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:08 pm

ser question lang po..

kung boxed set yung binebenta ko (4lps) do i need to play it kahit na meron akong nakalagay na note na kailngan linisin sa magandang record cleaner yung lps? although mint condition pa den at unplayed yung lps just to make sure lang na preserved yung lps since wala akong record cleaner. kailngan pa den po iplaygrade yun?

salamat mga ser! :)
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby stereophile » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:30 pm

Jeff- Good question. :idea: :D I was waiting for someone to ask me this. Currently, I decided to divide the ASKING PRICE by the NUMBER of LPs. If less than PhP1K per LP, then no need to playgrade. Kung sipagin ka, then the better :!:

I know what you are driving at. Records can be damaged by improper cleaning methods, which is why you prefer to have the buyer do it. As long as the buyer has the option to return it after he playgrades it and deems it subpar, then I see no problem with that arrangement.

Do others feel that boxed sets/double lps over PhP1K have to be playgraded :?: Do post your feedback on this. Your participation in this endeavor is of utmost importance. We all want QUALITY BPs. As to pricing, it's up to you-the buyer to decide if it's worth it. Thanks in advance.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Superman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Boxed set or individual LPs, i think provided TOTAL cost exceeds P1,000 it should be play graded...thanks!
Superman
Master Showman

Next

Return to MARKETPLACE - Software