TT with 50Hz motor frequency

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

TT with 50Hz motor frequency

Postby tricker » Tue May 20, 2003 3:47 pm

Hi to all,

Is it possible to use my TT there (Phil), becuase I just bought my rega TT, but the motor frequency is 50Hz, or any other equipment I need, how about any shop doing a modification there, thanks
tricker

Postby corrsty » Tue May 20, 2003 5:33 pm

Hi,

I think you need to change the motor to one that can handle 60Hz. As far as I know, we don't have any Rega distributors/dealers here but if you can get the replacement motor, then I think there are some people who can modify the table for you. Are you going to live here?

Good luck and welcome to Pinoydiophiles.
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby toobs » Tue May 20, 2003 6:14 pm

Hi,

I think Rega only changes the size of the pulley depending on the frequency of the supply. Why not inquire with your local Rega distributor if you can order the pulley from them.

toobs
toobs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue May 20, 2003 6:29 pm

Yup, change the Pulley. :P
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stjohn » Thu May 22, 2003 11:23 am

it's your PSU - change that but check with Rega, else you're going to have terrible, baaaddd, noise problem.

cheers
egay
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:49 pm

If the motor is AC, you could opt buying stuff like VPI's Synchronous Drive System (SDS) or Clearaudio's Accurate Power Generator (APG). :) These units can adjust the speed of your motor even if it has a 50hz or a 60hz pulley. :) In addition, you can easily switch from 33 1/3 to 45 by a flick of the switch in the unit. :) No more playing with the belts. :)

If your motor is DC, which I think the Rega is, you have no choice but to change the pulley to 60hz. :( For the Rega, this is not a simple task. I noticed that the the pulley is glued to the motor's spindle. :evil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:51 pm

msm...thanks for this helpful post!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby setup2 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:14 am

Rega offers an upgrade kit for the motor. If your Rega planar still has the two screws near the pulley (one on in each side of the pulley) then, it still has the old motor mounting. Check out the Rega web site:
http://www.rega.co.uk/html/main.htm.

I think m_shoe_maker is right, or at least on the only Rega Planar 3 that I have handled and repaired for a friend. It was brought to me cause the speed was erratic. I found out that the pulley was loose from the spindle; there was some sort of glue that came off when I pulled it out. The owner got this second hand from the US; don’t know if previous owner had serviced it before. Anyway, I just used Mighty Bond super glue; it became loose again after a year and was brought back to me. This time, I used the Loctite brand, and it has been more that 2 years since I last saw that Rega. I did noticed that his motor was vibrating and a bit noisy, told the owner to get the upgrade kit as I think the motor is starting to go, don't know if he ever did.

Regards,
Joel
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Re: TT with 50Hz motor frequency

Postby ihatejazz » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:01 am

tricker wrote:Hi to all,

Is it possible to use my TT there (Phil), becuase I just bought my rega TT, but the motor frequency is 50Hz, or any other equipment I need, how about any shop doing a modification there, thanks

you either have to look for a 60hz pulley or a 110v motor. We are the only country in the world with 220/60hz. If you're unsuccessful the only way is to file down the pulley till you get the correct speed. You will need a strobe for that. Ask Hyper, I've seen him do this.
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Analog