Audio-Technica AT-440ML Cartridge...opinions? comments?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Postby corrsty » Thu May 22, 2003 1:07 pm

stjohn wrote:and I'm sure this AT cart will be bettered by the Shure M97x (MM).

Hi egay,

bettered? Have you done any comparisons? I will be very interested on your thoughts. i think they have different characteristics so it would be helpful to know how you came about your conclusions. :)

Thanks.
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stjohn » Fri May 23, 2003 4:04 pm

hi corrsty!

i think they have different characteristics so it would be helpful to know how you came about your conclusions.

it was a knee-jerk reaction.
i haven't done any direct comparison between your AT440ML vs. Shure M97xe... what made me say that is their compliance: AT440ML=10m vs M97xE=20m... for heavy arms, like the DV507MI/II, these numbers are a world of difference :o ... the cantilever structure/design will tell you (on a limited manner) if your cart will be 'springy' or not, and on an imperfect LP surface, with some slight warping on some records - THIS is THE difference! and as i've proven by expereince with other more compliant cartridges with massive arms, the sound repro can be annoying :cry: ..

excuse me if i've given the impression of making an A-B of the 2 carts.

my take.
egay
8)
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby corrsty » Fri May 23, 2003 5:55 pm

Hi egay,

no problems here. :) I do not own one.

I was just hoping to get some more opinions regarding this AT cart. Noam posted some feedback and red76 also gave his take on the AT cart, albeit a different model.

thanks for the info. regarding the compliance. :)
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Analog