So, I Went Crazy with Shure Carts (and Jico Styluses)

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

So, I Went Crazy with Shure Carts (and Jico Styluses)

Postby zenaudio » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 pm

After Shure announced they would stop producing phono products (read cartridge and stylus), I quickly ordered another M97xe before prices took off.
But I was too late for the M44-7 (and M44G) as prices already doubled, so I decided to take stock of my inventory. :) Found two M44-7 cart bodies and one near mint stylus. Also found a M55E with N55E that I've forgotten.

So maybe these carts will last me a lifetime.

But I needed to match them with stylus so ordered some from Jico Japan.

They came in nice jewel cases. These are diamonds after all. :)

After some testing and mix and matching, found some viable combinations, but this is the one that I'm currently enjoying. M55E body with Jico N55E stylus tracking at 1.70 g.

Sounding quite nice. :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: So, I Went Crazy with Shure Carts (and Jico Styluses)

Postby zenaudio » Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 pm

I've been really enjoying the M55E body (which is similar to a M44 body) with a Jico N55E stylus that I did some more digging (ie, Google).
Found this thread on vinylengine https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=65378&start=45

with the following comment:
"... the original Shure V15 was nothing more than an M44 with a nicer mounting block and a 2x7 elliptical diamond. You can get virtually identical sound/performance today by putting a JICO 3x7 elliptical in any M44 body."

I've never heard the highly regarded V15, so I can't really tell.

"Make it Mine" and "I'm Yours" on vinyl
... superb.

"Dragon Attack" on this

has, well, attack, while letting the warmish tone of Brian May's guitar glide through the weighty and tuneful drum and bass lines.

New or old recordings, pop, jazz, rock -- this is such an all-rounder.

Is it really as good as the V15?
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Nes,

I also did try using another shure stylus on my 44-7 and as discussed in the Vinylengine link you posted, the cart's output is determined by the stylus used :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 am

Thanks, Jon, for sharing.
Yes, that's exactly what I found.
While the M44-7 body with N44-7 stylus was relentless like a pit bull that grabs you by the throat with its thumping high output, the N55E stylus gives a more laid back sound, almost Grado-like lush, like a puppy licking you on the face. :D

Just to add, the Jico N44-7 stylus has the same character as the OEM Shure N44-7 but has a more refined top end especially its control on sibilance. It's a cart/stylus I can live with. :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Analog