Portable Turntable

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Portable Turntable

Postby mlsaldua » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi po, kinda new here. Actually, I'm just new to this hobby. I have been wanting to try out collecting vinyls for quite a while now. My trip to Europe was the trigger. I mean there are vinyl shops everywhere and I stumbled upon a record by The Civil Wars (I'm a fan). So the last few days of my Euro trip was spent searching for good vinyl buys. Anyway, my problem now is I don't have a turntable so I can listen to all the vinyls I bought. I thought Motorino or Crosley turntables will do but upon reading the reviews from these two brands...I don't think I'll buy them now. I know I shouldn't expect anything from a portable turntable but I just want to listen to my vinyls. And if I do like this hobby, I'll probably buy a more expensive turntable. Anyway, do you have any suggestion on a good portable turntable? Preferable those that can be bought in the Philippines.
mlsaldua

Re: Portable Turntable

Postby pmaligaya » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:29 am

mlsaldua wrote:Hi po, kinda new here. Actually, I'm just new to this hobby. I have been wanting to try out collecting vinyls for quite a while now. My trip to Europe was the trigger. I mean there are vinyl shops everywhere and I stumbled upon a record by The Civil Wars (I'm a fan). So the last few days of my Euro trip was spent searching for good vinyl buys. Anyway, my problem now is I don't have a turntable so I can listen to all the vinyls I bought. I thought Motorino or Crosley turntables will do but upon reading the reviews from these two brands...I don't think I'll buy them now. I know I shouldn't expect anything from a portable turntable but I just want to listen to my vinyls. And if I do like this hobby, I'll probably buy a more expensive turntable. Anyway, do you have any suggestion on a good portable turntable? Preferable those that can be bought in the Philippines.

I found these on olx.com.ph. Every now and then, Tres Kuleros also sells second-hand record players on their Facebook page. However, I strongly suggest that you skip portable record players altogether and just get a vintage turntable (with a replaceable cartridge) that suit your budget from some of the sellers here. You might need a separate amp if there's none built-in. Make sure to test them before buying.

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classi ... entDetails

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classi ... on,4-20,80

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classi ... entDetails
pmaligaya
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:17 am

welcome to wiredstate.

as with pmaligaya, a portable might not be the best idea, at least if that will be your only 'table. try checking if the denon dp 300 is still available. it has a built-in phono stage, so all you need to do is to connect it to your amp. you can even connect it directly to a mini compo as long as the compo has an analog in. the dp 300's phono stage can be disabled should you want to use a separate phono stage.

also an option would be the lower models of rega, but it would require a separate phono stage.

if the itch for a portable remains, try looking for a sound burger.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby mlsaldua » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 am

@pmaligaya and @onedown, thanks for those inputs. Well the reason why I want to get something portable is well...for the portability. AT would be cool and that's already in my wishlist but I have no plans to get it for now. So I'm still on the portable path.

Since Crosley and Motorino is off the list, I'm torn between Vestax or Numark. Any reviews on these two brands? Sound Burger seems cool...but it's hard to find and does it play records other than the 45s?
mlsaldua

Postby northlight » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:20 am

mlsaldua wrote:Since Crosley and Motorino is off the list, I'm torn between Vestax or Numark. Any reviews on these two brands? Sound Burger seems cool...but it's hard to find and does it play records other than the 45s?

Yes, it does. Here's an article that may help you but I am not sure if these models are even available here.

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/take-me-for-a-spin-the-8-best-portable-record-players-around/
northlight
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

mlsaldua,
haven't heard the vestax and numark, so i can't comment. yes, the soundburger can handle both 45s and 33s. problem is, it is out of production. they do turn out from time to time on the net, though.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:46 pm

My suggestion is based on lessons learned when I was starting out. In summary: (1) Don't rush; (2) Audition; (3) Study; (4) Save up; (5) Buy.

My mistake was I went straight to step 5.

More details in the link below.

Good luck!

https://vkatindoy.wordpress.com/?s=kick ... +adventure
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 am

Get the motorino 2. But you need to adjust somethings (weight, alignment) though so to preserve your records longer. you would still get that inner groove distortion and soon wear though because of the shorter arm
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby drewso » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 am

mlsaldua wrote:Hi po, kinda new here. Actually, I'm just new to this hobby. I have been wanting to try out collecting vinyls for quite a while now. My trip to Europe was the trigger. I mean there are vinyl shops everywhere and I stumbled upon a record by The Civil Wars (I'm a fan). So the last few days of my Euro trip was spent searching for good vinyl buys. Anyway, my problem now is I don't have a turntable so I can listen to all the vinyls I bought. I thought Motorino or Crosley turntables will do but upon reading the reviews from these two brands...I don't think I'll buy them now. I know I shouldn't expect anything from a portable turntable but I just want to listen to my vinyls. And if I do like this hobby, I'll probably buy a more expensive turntable. Anyway, do you have any suggestion on a good portable turntable? Preferable those that can be bought in the Philippines.

If you are playing local vinyl albums...the Crosley phono is just right because local records sounds awful. The Crosley sounds like LATA.
drewso

Postby dsoulman73 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:29 pm

drewso wrote:

If you are playing local vinyl albums...the Crosley phono is just right because local records sounds awful. The Crosley sounds like LATA.

drewso batang recto - hindi naman lahat ng local records pangit tumunog...
dsoulman73
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jazzmanoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:58 pm

dsoulman73 wrote:drewso batang recto - hindi naman lahat ng local records pangit tumunog...

+1 on this. I have several opm's with relatively good recording specially those pre PARI pressings. I can say that many of them are even better than some foreign labels.
Jazzmanoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bb3 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:38 am

Jazzmanoy wrote:
+1 on this. I have several opm's with relatively good recording specially those pre PARI pressings. I can say that many of them are even better than some foreign labels.

I couldn't agree more.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 pm

There are portable TTs in surplus stores around MM. In fact, even CDRKIng offers portable turntables in their stores. If you check the motorino, crosleys, et al, they actually have the same player setup. Its just the looks that differ :)

Don't expect that you'll get to hear that vinyl sound when using these portable TTs, unless you are only after the nostalgia of playing the music you grew up with. :)

Have fun :) a number of us here do have portable TTs, some use them in their offices, others naman use them simply because they are too lazy to power on their home systems :P ;) :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby 3jal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 pm

sound burger plays both 45 and 33s but kinda hard to find these days.
try to look for the technics sl10, you won't go wrong with it if you need something portable but still a very good player.
good luck and enjoy your vinyl journey
3jal
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog