Entering the Vinyl Collection Hobby

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Entering the Vinyl Collection Hobby

Postby loowees07 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 am

Hi everyone,

I recently had the interest to buy a turntable and start collecting vinyls for some great listening/earfood.
Saw that wiredstate is one of the premier forums to go to for queries and tips on this.

Would just like to ask on what vinyl player is best for someone who's just starting out?
Read some reviews that the Audio Technica AT-LP60 is one of the best for starters.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60- ... B002GYTPAE

How about the Motorino? http://satchmi.com/motorino/
I keep on seeing this player everywhere, yet it has some lack of reviews for me to consider.

Thanks in advance!
loowees07

Re: Entering the Vinyl Collection Hobby

Postby bb3 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 am

I'd stay away from the Motorino.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 am

Hi Luis

If I were you I too would skip the Motorino and maybe try the AT for not much more. I have a sneaking suspicion however that that model too may get you itching for something else sooner rather than later. Instead I would maybe spend the equivalent of 3 maybe 4 LPs at Astro on the turntable first and get something like this because like the AT it already has a phono preamplifier built in.

http://www.amazon.com/TN-300-Analog-Tur ... =turntable

If your amplifier happens to already have a phono pre-amplifier then I would look at something like the Project Debut or Rega RP-1. These will give you long term pleasure. You may not even feel the need to upgrade at all, something you will definitely want to do with the starter tables out there. They leave too much wasted sonic potential by the wayside. They might not be too kind to the LPs either, causing them to wear prematurely.

Enjoy!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Motorino 2 now has an alignable and replaceable Audiotechnica cartridge And has movable counterweight so should be better the the lp60. However, please note that unit off the shelf has a preloaded weight of near to 4 gram. The cartridge recommended vtf is 1.75-2.0 gram.

Agree with Jack to scout for something else.

Locally lok for the denon dp300f or audiotechnica lp120 or lp240 all with onboard phono preamp. Otherwise a lot more to choose from if going with an outboard phono pre.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby loowees07 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:52 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:Motorino 2 now has an alignable and replaceable Audiotechnica cartridge And has movable counterweight so should be better the the lp60. However, please note that unit off the shelf has a preloaded weight of near to 4 gram. The cartridge recommended vtf is 1.75-2.0 gram.

Locally lok for the denon dp300f or audiotechnica lp120 or lp240 all with onboard phono preamp. Otherwise a lot more to choose from if going with an outboard phono pre.

Hi sir, where can someone find a denon dp300f around here?
loowees07

Postby loowees07 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:15 pm

After looking at reviews/talking to friends, looks like my choices are between the Rega RP1 or the AT-LP120.
the AT-LP120 looks like it has a built-in preamp too.

Which is the better choice though?
loowees07

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi seems the 120 is a DD DJ deck. Rule of thumb is that the belt drive RP1 will potentially give you more nuance and less drive/propulsiveness than a DJ deck and vice versa. You can coax added refinement from DJ decks by playing with different mats and trying different cartridges. I guess the answer is "it depends". In this case on both your sonic priorities and musical preferences. I'd hate to make a bold recommendation without knowing either.

In any case, enjoy the hunt! :rock:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby sumnerbrowne » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Excellent decision to sign up with WS.

Sharing lessons I learned the hard way.

https://vkatindoy.wordpress.com/2014/05 ... adventure/

Started with a TEAC GF-350 because I did not know about WS when I was starting out. Realized my folly and invested in a Rega P3 24 which eventually paved the way to a Technics SL 1200 Mark 3 which is what, in retrospect, I should have bought earlier had I known what I wanted sonically.

Good luck!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby muypogi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:06 pm

loowees07 wrote:
TheAnalogSource wrote:Motorino 2 now has an alignable and replaceable Audiotechnica cartridge And has movable counterweight so should be better the the lp60. However, please note that unit off the shelf has a preloaded weight of near to 4 gram. The cartridge recommended vtf is 1.75-2.0 gram.

Hi sir, where can someone find a denon dp300f around here?

Denon DP300F sa Grey Market in White Plains . . . :-)
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby loowees07 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:38 am

^ Thanks for that, will definitely visit this week and check it out.

My choices more or less narrowed down to two TTs, the Rega RP1 or the ATLP120.
I'm eyeing the Rega at around 60%, what's pulling me back are the impending costs for phono amps, and the ATLP120's built in phonoamp can more or less save me from that until I go for an upgrade.

Still going through research though, and ofcourse tips from forums like this. :) Highly appreciate the inputs guys!

Does someone own an ATLP120? The reviews online are stellar but they said the sound quality is not as good as RP1. Is the difference really that far?
loowees07

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 am

You are already hearing from true turntable gurus on WS so I will go on a tangent a bit. Besides, I know nothing of the TT's you ask about. :lol:

What is the rest of your system? Will it be resolving enough to allow you to hear the alleged improvements from an ATLP120 to an RP1? There are two ideas circulating in audio circles. First is "Balanced System," meaning, matching gear in the same performance ballpark so that strengths of one component do not highlight weakness of the others. An alternative philosophy to a Balanced System is "Source First," meaning, getting the best possible source is priority number one.

The right answer is probably somewhere in between and really lies in trying for yourself which leads me to my next point. For me when it comes to buying audio gear (especially analog), it's not just the gear you are buying but also the after-sales service and experience of your dealer. They've sold dozens if not hundreds of analog gear, they've probably tried different combinations of gear and know which works best with the brands they carry. Net, when it comes to analog, I'd weigh how helpful and knowledgeable the dealer is quite heavier than I would for other components.

Hope this helps!
rtsyrtsy

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 am

Chances are you won't hear the difference in turntable sound on an entry system. That is if they bear the same cartridge. most of the diff you'll hear if you compare is the character of the attached cartridge which is different jn every turntable available
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Mamimili » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:47 am

Don't limit yourself to new, go listen to some used equipment, recent and vintage.
Most people here have ran up the upgrade path so take advantage and avoid mistakes. Listen for a few more months and you could easily end up with a better sound for similar prices. Then you can walk the upgrade path....
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:51 am

bb3 wrote:I'd stay away from the Motorino.

me to! very far away!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Return to Analog