Dropping the Needle

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Dropping the Needle

Postby Stealth » Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 am

Will it cause damage to the speakers when you drop the needle to the record without muting the system? Is this safe?
Stealth
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Dropping the Needle

Postby usai » Sat May 31, 2014 12:14 pm

Accidentally dropped my needle. 1 speaker toasted :(
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby caavoom » Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Wow... Never heard of this before. Need to practice caution from now on.
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Sat May 31, 2014 3:20 pm

its possible if your dropped your needle hard and at the same time, your volume knob is turned to its max.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Stealth » Sat May 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Jon Agner wrote:its possible if your dropped your needle hard and at the same time, your volume knob is turned to its max.

Hi jon, do u mean that if my volume is just at normal listening level, and i gently drop the needle after placing a new record on the platter,
that's not harmful? Tks.
Stealth
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Sat May 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Stealth wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:its possible if your dropped your needle hard and at the same time, your volume knob is turned to its max.

Hi jon, do u mean that if my volume is just at normal listening level, and i gently drop the needle after placing a new record on the platter,
that's not harmful? Tks.

Well, that's how I do it, I would normally change records w/out bothering to turn down the volume, I haven't had any problems with it. There may be another cause as to why your speakers got toasted.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:32 am

I do not turn down volume while switching records but that is because my power amp has a protection circuit. However on case where I accidentally drop the neddle with a loud thud, you can see the amp goes on protect mode. I can just imagine how it will toast the tweeters without the protections. In fact, good thing also that my speakers have a blow up fuse for each driver.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby darkest_error » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:50 am

That is why getting used to dropping needles as gently as possible should be achieved. As minute flicks (of random magnitude) produced by very small snap between the groove and the stylus tip as they engage/disengage from each other would then be greatly amplified by the amp and produce a loud click and/thud (or kaboom :@ ) on the speaker/s. I sometimes still commit this error therefore need more practice pa and I would not mind lowering down the volume first just to make sure. Well, this would depend on your setup. If the amp's main volume would be at a distance away, then this would call for a more careful engaging/disengaging between the needle and groove. On the contrary the drawback might be, if you lower the volume first, you might not have an idea how good or bad your needle dropping act is. So I suppose for starters like me, lower down a bit before touching that arm so as not to fry those golden little windings. Although cueing devices would be a great help, but being independent from it might be better because not all tables do have that feature. That is, if you really want to learn and master the skill.
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby usai » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:04 am

Volume was set to normal listening level (10-11 o'clock). My 5.25in speaker got toasted because i didn't bother to lower the volume level. Tinamad na :tmi: Ok lang sana if my speakers were 10 or 12 inchers.
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby darkest_error » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 am

Haha, yung katamaran talaga minsan ang nakakasira ng gears! Ako din minsan eh, lalo pag sobrang pagod. I sometimes tend to do sloppy needle drops, and they're not really good. :worried:
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Stealth » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks guys! Nice discussions here.
Stealth
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JATP » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:31 am

i always turn the volume down whenever i switch records so it became a habit, so much so that i do it too whenever i switch cds
JATP
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog