BACK IN BLACK FILES: Diego Mapa

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

BACK IN BLACK FILES: Diego Mapa

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 am

Sharing the full-length interview granted by Diego Mapa of Tarsius, Pedicab and Two Diegos in connection with the Inquirer article entitled BACK IN BLACK. Selfie c/o Diego used with permission.

Thanks to Rene Rivo, Bong Rojales and Marie Jamora for the referral.

Last edited by sumnerbrowne on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Re: BACK IN BLACK FILES: Diego Mapa

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 am

• How and when did you get into the analog music/vinyl records hobby?

Vinyl I was turned on with my Dad's collection at first. And he also bought me my 1st record. A best of Jimi Hendrix record. Then, in high school I would sometimes see a thrift or ukay, buy 1 or 2 and that’s it. Till finally I met music nuts same as my age who were already buying a lot. I was already in college then in the late 90s. Then when I already started earning my own money round early 2000s that's when I picked up the pace to buy more. Then I really got serious around 2008 when I bought almost everyday at thrift stores. Now I’m really crazy about it. I’m also a late bloomer compared to others.

• What do vinyl records give to you as a listener that CDs or MP3s cannot? What do they give you as a musician?

I love all formats. I can't do without any of them. But of course the big sleeve, crackle. Warm sound, personal relationship when dropping a needle, all of that is true. But also when digging a record at thrift, discovering old music that is new to you has a good feeling to it. And not all old music or 45s are on the net. So you still get something surely only some have. Even if the cover is good but the music is bad. I still want it. From anime soundtracks, guilty pleasures, I don't mind having them around.

• How many vinyl albums do you have so far?

Not that many, probably 300-500:)

• What would be your top 3 all-time favourite vinyl albums?

Wow that’s tough! J Dilla - Donuts, Joe Cruz and The Cruzettes - Lahat ng Araw, Parliament - Motor Booty Affair, Blackbuster 6. Dami pa!

• What are the top 3 vinyl albums in your wish list (i.e., hard-to-find)?

Any David Axelrod, Marva Whitney, Quantic, Luiz Bonfa, more Serge Gainsbourg. Please, Advisors. Dami ko pa gusto:)

• Which music genre do you like the most?

Now I like soul, funk, brazillian, disco, post punk, folk. Actually, lahat gusto ko din:)

• Who are your top 3 fave musicians?

a. OPM - can't get enough of-- Joe Cruz and The Cruzettes, Blackbuster, Bong Pinera
b. Foreign - now can't get enough of - Funkadelic, Kool and The Gang, Crown Heights Affair

• Describe your analog set-up:

a. Turntable – brand and model - I have 2 Technics MKII turntables and a Staton mixer
b. Amps – brand and model - amp
Speakers and amp I’m not that prissy. I enjoy connecting my turns to Edifier with subwoofer speakers and I also have Alesis monitor 1 reference amp w speakers when I need more power.

• What is your advice/warning to readers who’d like to get into this hobby?

If you love collecting music it’s highly addictive so take it easy. Quality vs quantity. Tsaka dami pa nakakalat na plaka mahirap ubusin yan:)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am

At the time that this interview was granted, selfies were not as "in" as they are today. I guess Marie's description of indie bands/musicians being forward-looking with regard to vinyl releases applies to other aspects of technology as well, selfies included. Check out Squid 9's album release via USB embedded in a card. Squid 9 is, of course, led by Raimund Marasigan.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby jamants » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:02 am

Dmaps! :rock:
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:43 am

:rock:

Agree, Jay.

Here is snapshot of his vinyl collection.

sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Return to Analog