FURTHER ADVENTURES IN HI-FI by Igan D'bayan

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

FURTHER ADVENTURES IN HI-FI by Igan D'bayan

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 am

And now for an article that puts Bebop on the pedestal he deserves. This well-written piece also cites The Grey Market and Satchmi. But what I liked about the piece the most is its author's encyclopedic grasp of pop and rock music fused with his engaging reminiscences of his kaleidescopic experience with various storage media - from analog to digital to analog. Galing! Thanks, Jen for sharing.

http://www.philstar.com/gadgets/2014/03 ... reo-heaven
Last edited by sumnerbrowne on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Re: FURTHER ADVENTURES IN HI-FI by Igan D'bayan

Postby caavoom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 am

Sir, I think the link is wrong.
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby triggerman128 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:43 am

triggerman128
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 am

caavoom wrote:Sir, I think the link is wrong.

Apologies, Caavoom.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 am

Thank you for the correction. :)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby jonas » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 am

wow, i wish i could write the way he does. and the writer seems to like the same songs and artists i do, hehe. we must be from the same generation.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby triggerman128 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 am

sumnerbrowne wrote:

Thank you for the correction. :)

Welcome Sir! :)
triggerman128
Citizen
Citizen

Postby northlight » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 am

I had fun reading this article. I could relate to many of the things he said. I also remember waking up on Sunday mornings with Matt Monro on the stereo. Then lunch at our Lolo's house with an opera aria on a colored 78rpm disc playing in the background. :) :)
northlight
Citizen
Citizen

Postby takussa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:40 pm

i know hes a friend to some so i hoope i dont offend (peace peace peace po) with my opinion :) after reading this last night, i just had a few opinions i wanted to share (which some might also) to my understanding on some parts of his article. with much respect to the author :rock: i humbly believe we shouldnt criticize the passionate or laugh at the different. but of course i/we understand/cannot deny his reasons and thoughts why. also, respect to those who find convenience in 'terabytes' or like i, (if its any consolation chose vinyl over cdjs and attempted a collection as well) just too cheap to collect. of course i do not deny the quality of vinyl and dream of a piano or jazz or an impossible opm collection and would rather get it abroad. aside from sq and plenty of positive reasons :!: its a growing thing, also evident in a handful of recent movies, but imho not a product of my throwbacking generation of shirts hairstyles movies cars we can own. again the idealistic one always says, its still music in the end :wasntme: . but please dont bash yeezus on my ipod :devil:
takussa
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dsoulman73 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Nice Article... :rock:
dsoulman73
Citizen
Citizen

Postby caavoom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:14 pm

sumnerbrowne wrote:
caavoom wrote:Sir, I think the link is wrong.

Apologies, Caavoom.

No worries, sir. :D

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dieya! » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:26 pm

too much talk for something we all know :x :hai:
dieya!
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pmaligaya » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 pm

"But the others — those with stereo systems virtually developed by NASA engineers, bought with obscene amounts of money, bragged about every chance they get — are a breed apart. Scoff and sneer are what they usually do. They may have the P100k turntables connected to P100k phono preamplifiers connected to P100k tube amplifiers connected to…. But sometimes their musical tastes are suspect. " :clap:
pmaligaya
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:41 pm

northlight wrote:I had fun reading this article. I could relate to many of the things he said. I also remember waking up on Sunday mornings with Matt Monro on the stereo. Then lunch at our Lolo's house with an opera aria on a colored 78rpm disc playing in the background. :) :)

Agree, Northlight. Our elders all had a hand in inducting us to the analog world.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 pm

takussa wrote:i know hes a friend to some so i hoope i dont offend (peace peace peace po) with my opinion :) after reading this last night, i just had a few opinions i wanted to share (which some might also) to my understanding on some parts of his article. with much respect to the author :rock: i humbly believe we shouldnt criticize the passionate or laugh at the different. but of course i/we understand/cannot deny his reasons and thoughts why. also, respect to those who find convenience in 'terabytes' or like i, (if its any consolation chose vinyl over cdjs and attempted a collection as well) just too cheap to collect. of course i do not deny the quality of vinyl and dream of a piano or jazz or an impossible opm collection and would rather get it abroad. aside from sq and plenty of positive reasons :!: its a growing thing, also evident in a handful of recent movies, but imho not a product of my throwbacking generation of shirts hairstyles movies cars we can own. again the idealistic one always says, its still music in the end :wasntme: . but please dont bash yeezus on my ipod :devil:

Thanks, Takussa. I actually listen to MYMP. Felt some discomfort with his input on how he almost Jack Blacked the MYMP fan. The consolation is he did not the way Black's character did in High Fidelity. Overall though, I liked the article for its personal approach to the resurgence of vinyl.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I read a few articles penned by the author and he does really go overboard sometimes but overall he writes very well.

I can feel where he is coming from, as we all felt the same when we rediscovered the warm sound of vinyl .... But at the end of the day, it will still be the music you listen to, in whatever format you get to listen to it

Sent from my Nokia 3200 using tapsilog
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 am

Jon Agner wrote:
I can feel where he is coming from, as we all felt the same when we rediscovered the warm sound of vinyl .... But at the end of the day, it will still be the music you listen to, in whatever format you get to listen to it

Sent from my Nokia 3200 using tapsilog

Well said, Jon. :rock:
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:49 am

Got to admit that his style gets you thinking. In the end, IMO, that's what matters whether I agree or not.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Mamimili » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am

I had to Google M.Y.M.P. :$

I have yet to meet a bragger, have i met the wrong people so far?
I have met many sharers. Maybe i have met the right people.

If i said i went to the Stones concert in Singapore would i be bragging?
Well brag away, the sound was fantastic and the sweet spot was ballroom sized and it was wonder and awe and music and sound and memories and almost tears all rolled into one, possibly my very best further adventure.
Perhaps it would only be bragging if i mentioned the cost of the trip?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:42 am

having now read the rest of the article, i like the way the guy writes!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Next

Return to Analog