fremer reviews the trans phoenix s and more...

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

fremer reviews the trans phoenix s and more...

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 am

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/transfiguration-phoenix-mc-cartridge-same-name-different-game

kinda agree with everything on the review but what caught my attention is the question and answer on the analog setup cost ratio which i requoted below.
my views exactly differing to those who spend a lot on gears while using only an entry level cartridge. imho, Phono cartridge should be viewed as a component and not an accessory or a consumable.

Paul Boudreau's picture
Impossible Question?
Submitted by Paul Boudreau on Fri, 2014-02-21 18:48.

I realize this is a horribly general question and so probably best answered on a case-by-case basis, plus it's kind of off topic, but I'll ask it anyway: What do you think is a good budgetary ratio for buying a turntable/arm + cartridge, assuming that the 'table and arm come as a package? I've previously assumed that it would be something like 80/20 but given your comment that much of the improvement these days is occurring with cartridges (I hope I'm not misrepresenting your views), might it be something closer to 50/50, for example a VPI Traveler and a Grado Reference 1 (both $1500-ish)? Perhaps that wouldn't work at the highest price range since I imagine that the most-expensive 'table is far more costly than the most-expensive cartridge.

Thanks much.

Paul

Michael Fremer's answer

Since the transducer is likely to contribute most to the final sound, assuming the tonearm in question can properly handle it, I'd put as much as possible into the cartridge just as I would into the speakers assuming the amplifier can do the job.

The Traveler's arm, like those from Rega and some from Pro-Ject, are very capable arms. In fact, you can get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and be confident that a cartridge costing 4X as much will be compatible and produce very good results, though I'm not suggesting doing that because you won't get your full money's worth.

I'd say in the low to medium price range, cartridge should cost should be at least equal to the turntable's (assuming properly priced, not overpriced cartridges). I'd put without hesitation an Ortofon Black into a Traveler or lower priced Rega or Pro-Ject—as long as you're willing to properly set SRA. That's more difficult with the Rega of course....

taken from analogplanet. catridge review
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Return to Analog