New to Vinyls and would like to learn

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

New to Vinyls and would like to learn

Postby justaramdomdude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Hello WiredState community,

I'm new here and new to the vinyl record world.

I want to buy my first turntable, amp and speakers but I don't know where to start and quite frankly; have no idea what's good and not. (Like I was willing to get the Satchmi Motorino, those that they sell in Astrovision, but something tells me I shouldn't despite it being relatively cheap.)

I was hoping you guys could shed some light into the beautiful world of turntables and Vinyl Records (Is that what you call them? :( ).

And... if I go entry level gear, can I get a good enough set-up within 10k? Or should I save up more?

Apologies if this type of thread has been started before... And thanks in advanced! :)
justaramdomdude

Re: New to Vinyls and would like to learn

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm

justaramdomdude wrote:Hello WiredState community,

I want to buy my first turntable, amp and speakers but I don't know where to start and quite frankly; have no idea what's good and not. (Like I was willing to get the Satchmi Motorino, those that they sell in Astrovision, but something tells me I shouldn't despite it being relatively cheap.)

I was hoping you guys could shed some light into the beautiful world of turntables and Vinyl Records (Is that what you call them? :( ).

And... if I go entry level gear, can I get a good enough set-up within 10k? Or should I save up more?

Apologies if this type of thread has been started before... And thanks in advanced! :)

Welcome to Wired State, Justarandomdude.

My advice is not to rush. Enjoy the ride. Start by exploring the threads and posts under Analog.

Visit the various hardware sellers in the city. Audition, audition, audition.

Then, decide based on what you like and what you can afford.

Would also recommend you check out Jay Taruc's advice in Back in Black which appeared in Sunday Inquirer Mag last Dec.
Last edited by sumnerbrowne on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby pmaligaya » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 pm

justaramdomdude wrote:Hello WiredState community,

Hi. Perhaps a little more than 10k for a good second-hand set-up (vintage turntable-receiver-speaker, better than buying a new Motorino or Crosley).

And also: http://www.thepluralofvinyl.com/images/ ... fvinyl.jpg :)
pmaligaya
Citizen
Citizen

Postby justaramdomdude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Where can I find entry level shops?

Sorry, it's a whole new world I'm entering and not much of my friends have an idea. I have a friend who's into records as well but he has a Motorino.

P.S. What's the difference between the Motorino or Crosley and a Turntable-amp-speaker set up? Is it a really huge difference in sound quality?
justaramdomdude

Postby markymark8386 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Bro. Motorino and crosley are aimed for teens that wants to enter vinyl para masabing cool sila. "Pare, naka vinyl ako" but not knowing the sound quality potential of an LP. Buy a second hand turntable particularly technics. Save up and dont rush.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby romeobabao » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:03 pm

very sound advices from sumnerbrowne,pmaligaya and markymark..... my friend...."do not rush,and do net TRIP over and fall"....getting motorinos and crosley gear not just sounds awful....there is a possibility that it will destroy your album collection in the long run....the difference between the motorinos and crosley sound against the table-phonostage-amp-speaker setup is like comparing the old cassette sound to the BESTturntable(150,000 range of quality) you can get your hands on...or it is literally trying to pass a truck(vinyls amazing sound quality) through a garden hose(motorino) analogy,sayang lang yung vinyl kasi pangit yung player you need a tunnel(the proper setup) for your truck ha ha ...so the cheapest and the best on the low end will be a REGA turntable or the like...but i would advice to buy a vintage table like a TRIO or KENWOOD ,for sound quality and cost (about 6k to 9k from remer or rene rivo),or a technics 1200(you cant go wrong with this,contrary to common belief the technics were made for the audiophile,and just because its so durable and can have its S tonearm replaced with a straight one,it went on to be a DJ favorite)...another 2 things to concentrate on is the cartridge u will use on a table and the phonostage(make a wrong choice and sound quality goes down the drain with mistakes on these 2 also).ditto later with your choice of amp and speakers....same things apply...the analogy is the same with my path at work in the studio ....get a great artist,couple it with a microphone thats appropriate(a reverse of the artists character),get a great preamp thats clear,go straight to tape.....one stuff thats innapropriate is a death sentence.....in your case the wrong purchase adds to your overall expenses...dont rush and trip over financially ha ha ha.... and if possible do NOT skimp on the gear.get the right one for the job you need done.....keep on rocking my friends....
Last edited by romeobabao on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
romeobabao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 pm

romeobabao wrote:very sound advices from sumnerbrowne,pmaligaya and markymark..... my friend...."do not rush,and do net TRIP over and fall"....getting motorinos and crosly gear not just sounds awful....there is a possibility that it will destroy your album collection in the long run....the cheapest and the best on the low end will be a REGA turntable or the like...but i would advice to buy a vintage table like a TRIO or KENWOOD ,for sound quality and cost (about 6k to 9k from remer or rene rivo),or a technics 1200(you cant go wrong with this,contrary to common belief the technics were made for the audiophile,and just because its so durable and can have its S tonearm replaced with a straight one,it went on to be a DJ favorite)...another 2 things to concentrate on is the cartridge u will use on a table and the phonostage(make a wrong choice and sound quality goes down the drain with mistakes on these 2 also).ditto later with your choice of amp and speakers....same things apply...the analogy is the same with my path at work in the studio ....get a great artist,couple it with a microphone thats appropriate(a reverse of the artists character),get a great preamp thats clear,go straight to tape.....one stuff thats innapropriate is a death sentence.....in your case the wrong purchase adds to your overall expenses...dont rush and trip over financially ha ha ha.... and if possible do NOT skimp on the gear.get the right one for the job you need done.....keep on rocking my friends....

Well said fellow wiredstate members, take time to audition because that's the first step to take, then your budget will be next, I myself took a little bit of effort to learn the do's and dont's in my audio journey. You also don't want to waste your hard earned money go down the drain and regret buying portable turntables. Take the long route if you want to enjoy listening, maraming tutulong sayo dito, just ask sensible questions. Technics turntables are good to start auditioning, technics kasi yung akin , hehehe, pero maraming brand ng vintage turntable na pwede mo i-audition, goodluck
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby romeobabao » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:22 pm

tama jun.an addendum also is go for the old pressings first and only buy re issues if the old ones cannot be found ...also treat your records well ,clean them properly and do not USE ...only if possible ,cleaners with alcohol content,it will degrade the vinyl and brittle it as it ages....everyone thinks alcohol dilutes and helps but contrary its used to evaporate all the fluid and it leaves residues(there is no way to get pure and unadulterated alcohol in asia or at least cheap )better use lart du son or if not available just distilled water na lang mas safer.but i am going off tangent now so back to you guys.......more power to you jun the man......rock on....
romeobabao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Buying used is very good advice for a starter system!

Apart from used modern equipment there are still some real bargains to be found in vintage equipment that will also save you money. Providing you are interested in a warm sound, lots of shiny knobs to twiddle and wooden cases.

If you do look into vintage, consider starting with a receiver, you can plug in a TT, no need to buy a preamp or separate phono stage, you can also connect your ipod/mp3 player, CD/DVD player etc.
One sleeper whose price is typically reasonable is the Sony STR7055. Also look for mid 70's Pioneer, Technics etc. for less than US$200 in good working condition. (sorry, i am keeping mine).

Goodmans and Technics speakers as just two examples from the 70's will match these vintage receivers.

Last year i put together a 70's Technics receiver, used unknown age NAD bookshelf speakers, an ipod LOD and a new cheapo DVD player for less than $240. OK it took me around 5 months to find everything to fit my friends budget, but she says it was worth the wait and she gets compliments on the sound.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby bb3 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Mamimili wrote:Buying used is very good advice for a starter system!

. . .snip . . .
One sleeper whose price is typically reasonable is the Sony STR7055. Also look for mid 70's Pioneer, Technics etc. for less than US$200 in good working condition. (sorry, i am keeping mine).

snip . . .

Hey paul,
Absolutely agree there!
The 7055 is truly a sleeper at a very reasonable price.
This receiver is still out of most of vintage collectors' radar unlike the Suis and Marantzs . . .but definitely a contender in terms of musicality.
Wonderful phonostage.
Hook this up with a decent pair of bookshelves, get yourself a reputable vintage TT/cart as mentioned above - and you're good to go!

More on the 7055:
http://bb3blog.wordpress.com/2013/08/17 ... -receiver/
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jundai15 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:58 pm

Having a decent audio set-up, you will truly enjoy your music. :) Pang anti-stress :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 am

bb3 wrote:

. . .snip . . .

snip . . .

Hey paul,
Absolutely agree there!
This receiver is still out of most of vintage collectors' radar unlike the Suis and Marantzs . . .but definitely a contender in terms of musicality.
Wonderful phonostage.
Hook this up with a decent pair of bookshelves, get yourself a reputable vintage TT/cart as mentioned above - and you're good to go!

More on the 7055:

I dont get it, why is it off the radar?
I had not used mine in a while so last week decided it was time to warm it up again, thought i would give it 30 minutes, but 5 hours later it was still singing.
The Sony sounds better than my Pioneer SA606 as it should, but i cannot say my AU70 sounds any better, different, the Sony is warm to the Sansui's "accuracy" (a strange comment i know as SS compared to tube, its a compliment to the Sony).

Bugger, i have just been drooling over your woodstocks again, any plans to open an outlet in Malaysia?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 am

Check out Elmer Borlongan and Jay Taruc's pointers.

http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/141183/th ... rite-vinyl

Ultimately, it's about gathering as much data as you can on your first 3 to 6 months. Explore the field.

Someone senior here at WS once pointed out to me that vinyl listening has a wide spectrum. From the entry level to those who want to revive the analog sound of their childhood years to those who want to experience soundstage, layering, etc to those who have the luxury to upgrade every year, etc.

It's also about knowing who you are and what you want. Sa investments ganun din. Me risk-averse. Me risk-savvy.

There are listeners who would be happy with a Crosley or a Motorino. There are those who would want to revive their AKAI and Pioneer from the 70s. There are folks who need a VPI or a Rega for their analog experience. Parang kanta ni FrancisM. Kaleidoscope World. Iba iba lang talaga.

Have fun exploring!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 am

where to start.......

My suggestion is to check if the music you listen to did came out on vinyl, and not be influenced by your friend/s that listen to their music that has been issued on vinyl. That's the first burn out you'll experience, trying to get into something due to the influence of your friends, and realizing later on that its not really what you wanted 8)

I introduced my daughter to the analog sound at a very young age, but she abandoned vinyl when she burned out listening to my music. Now, she's very much into it again as I started buying vinyl that she likes to listen to ( Paramore, Florence and the Machine, Lenka, Taylor Swift, etc .... yes, and I'm enjoying her music as well it's quite similar to the music I listen to when I was still wearing "baston" pants) :)

Portable system (Crosley, Motorino, Target, etc .... ) against a 10K basic TT+AMP+Speakers combo? I have both and it was thru these retro portable TT systems that I was able to introduce my daughters to the analog world... but now, she appreciates her music more on my audio system. Sure, these portable players will introduce you to the vinyl sound, but don't expect these equipment to last that long. So at the end of the day, if you really want to go further down the analog world, you'll need to invest more on a better sounding equipment.... Oh and yes, if you read the WS archives, you'll understand that the most important parts in the audio chain are the Cartridge and the Speakers ;) 8)

Here's the caveat: listening to music from the vinyl is not cheap, as vinyl records are not getting any cheaper nowadays. Likewise, you'll soon realize that there is a lifespan on the cartridge (.... and likewise with the rest of the audio system) and you'll be needing a replacement. So better be ready to invest 8)

Welcome to WS :) :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby bb3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 am

Mamimili wrote:
bb3 wrote:

. . .snip . . .

snip . . .

Hey paul,
Absolutely agree there!
Wonderful phonostage.

More on the 7055:

I dont get it, why is it off the radar?
I had not used mine in a while so last week decided it was time to warm it up again, thought i would give it 30 minutes, but 5 hours later it was still singing.
The Sony sounds better than my Pioneer SA606 as it should, but i cannot say my AU70 sounds any better, different, the Sony is warm to the Sansui's "accuracy" (a strange comment i know as SS compared to tube, its a compliment to the Sony).

Bugger, i have just been drooling over your woodstocks again, any plans to open an outlet in Malaysia?

What I meant was that while vintage collectors are always on the lookout for Sansuis and Marantzs, they tend to bypass good stuff like this receiver. Its diminutive size and simple looks isn’t exactly a collector’s trophy but as to the sound quality. . .
I agree with your observations. It may not have the accuracy of the Sansui AU series but it has that warm tube-like quality as mentioned in the blog.

Hmmm. . . Malaysia?
Send over 2 plane tickets for me and my guy and will build you a rack before you can say “Northern Soul Rules!” ;)
I hear Malaysian hardwood is exquisite!
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 pm

So if interested in vintage, the Sony STR 7055 (thanks Hypertriode) is a good reasonably low priced starter unit that will probably last a very long time :clap:

I used up all my airmiles last year!
I do have 7 large planks of unknown dark Malaysian hardwood waiting to be turned into something...
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby edgarryan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Look for Reymer's posts in the Marketplace and contact him. He usually has good gears at budget prices.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Crimson Flames » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 am

Am in the same boat in a way & still pondering if now's the right time to go back to analog.
Crimson Flames

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:09 am

Crimson Flames wrote:Am in the same boat in a way & still pondering if now's the right time to go back to analog.

any day is the right time
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby justaramdomdude » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks guys! :D

I guess I have to start reading up on hardware and save up.

I was born in the age of the casette tapes and for me it isn't recreating a childhood sound. I wish it were though, I just love the sound of vinyl records.
justaramdomdude

Next

Return to Analog