Broken needle or TT arm?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Broken needle or TT arm?

Postby muypogi » Sun May 22, 2011 7:52 pm

An equipment malfunction just prematurely ended an analog listening session. Using a cheap, automatic Technics P-mount TT. When I dropped the arm using the auto drop, I heard a nasty sound, followed by silence. The arm would not track, and no sound came from the TT even when I tested it using a stylus brush.

Is it just the needle? If so, anybody have a P-mount cartridge lying around? Bought my current one from the states pa.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Broken needle or TT arm?

Postby KD » Sun May 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Is it a linear tracking arm?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby muypogi » Sun May 22, 2011 8:19 pm

KD wrote:Is it a linear tracking arm?

Nope. Standard straight arm.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm

In that case, I would first suspect the needle/cart rather than the arm. You would need quite a bit of violence to wreck the arm.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 23, 2011 9:39 am

+1 with KD. Your problem is a result of a broken stylus, (its the stylus, moving along the groove of the vinyl, that makes the entire tonearm move ;) ) Replace the stylus with the new one and you are off to go.

HTH.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby edgarryan » Mon May 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Sa akin naman, when my stylus got broken, as in detached from the cantilever, the tonearm still moved. Kaya nga lang, it moved quickly from the rim of the LP to the spindle. Parang walang kagat kaya ganun na lang ang movement nya.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm

edgarryan wrote:Sa akin naman, when my stylus got broken, as in detached from the cantilever, the tonearm still moved. Kaya nga lang, it moved quickly from the rim of the LP to the spindle. Parang walang kagat kaya ganun na lang ang movement nya.

Yes, it can happen both ways, depending on the applied VTF to your cartridge ;)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby muypogi » Mon May 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks guys. Ordered a new cartridge (Grado Green) from the States and should hopefully arrive next week via Johnny Air. Grabe, mas mahal pa yung cart ko kesa sa "vintage" TT ko. . . :D
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Sounds like you just bought an upgrade. Good job. Thanks also for your post, which reminded me that Grado still make P-mounts. I nearly forgot.
KD
Legend
Legend

Re:

Postby muypogi » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 am

KD wrote:Sounds like you just bought an upgrade. Good job. Thanks also for your post, which reminded me that Grado still make P-mounts. I nearly forgot.

Dami pa nga na P-mounts. There was even an Ortofon hi output moving coil P-mount suitable for MM preamps! Thought about buying that but settled on the Grado since the price was 2x the grado. Lets see kung karayom nga lang. . .
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:23 am

Just to update:

TT working again, courtesy of Grado Green P-mount. While my TT setup is primitive, there's something to be said about the plug and play benefit of a P-mount. Just install it and enjoy!

Medyo lean but more detailed yung Grado vs my old Ortofon Digitrac cart. Bibilog kaya? May break in din ba yung TT cart?

Also got a new handy cleaning toy. Medyo mahal at nearly USD50, but very nice rolling cleaning action, handier vs a carbon fiber brush.

muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:03 am

muypogi wrote:Bibilog kaya? May break in din ba yung TT cart?

Meron. Typically 100 hours. But you should hear significant changes even before that.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby edgarryan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:09 pm

I find the Grado Black, which is the most basic version and a step below the Green, to be a fine cart. It does the job, and para sa akin mabilog ang tunog. But for more detail, I like the AT120 better when it comes to MM carts.

Does the Nagaoka roller cleaner leave any residue? Para syang lint remover.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:29 pm

edgarryan wrote:I find the Grado Black, which is the most basic version and a step below the Green, to be a fine cart. It does the job, and para sa akin mabilog ang tunog. But for more detail, I like the AT120 better when it comes to MM carts.

Does the Nagaoka roller cleaner leave any residue? Para syang lint remover.

Baka di pa break-in yung Green ko.

Nope, walang residue yung roller. Iba yung roller niya do katulad ng normal lint remover. Very easy to touch up slightly dirty record.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Analog