Works Twelvehundred (Works1200)

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Re: Works Twelvehundred (Works1200)

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:23 pm

August 2014

Here's one half of the actual SL1200 MK3 I used to practice and have developed my skills as a DJ back in the early 90s. I especially requested the late Angelo Castro, Jr. (ACJ as we call him, who was also like a father to me) to acquire a pair of SL1200 MK2 during his Tokyo, Japan trip in 1991. When he came back a week later, he brought a pair of MK3 instead. I was overwhelmed and surprised, because it was the first time for me to see a black edition 1200. Last month, ACJ's son Angelo Diego Castro brought me this and wanted to have it refurbished. It had been stored for more than a decade and the paint has also been severely damaged. Tonearm and pitch control were also out of proper calibration.

So after working on it, here it is now.

Finished in black metallic polyurethane super gloss paint. Strobe, 33/45 and pitch indicator LEDS have been replaced with super bright white while pop-up lamp was converted to bright white LED. I also applied a special aluminum pitch decal ornament used in the latest model of the SL1200 family, the MK6. Black with gold markings. Platter has been scraped, repainted and re-faced. Tonearm section repainted and re-calibrated. Pivot bearings have also been lubricated. RC cables and connectors replaced with internal grounding. Pitch control cleaned and calibrated. Spindle lubricated and Switch, Start/Stop, 33/45 assembly cleaned.

I'm very certain that ACJ would have been very happy to see the result if he were still alive.

Below are the before and after pics.

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:26 pm

Sept 2014

These decks were sent to me by friend and owner Raymund Ong of Atmospheres Club, Metro Center Hotel, Bohol. He wanted them refurbished because he is passing them on to his son, Fritz Ong.

The decks were repainted three times before. Because when we scraped the paint, there were 4 layers of previous paints over its main diecast frame.

Main diecast frame and tonearm sections are painted in glossy blue metallic finish using polyurethane automotive paint. Rubber base are repainted in matte black. Platter stripped, repainted and re-faced. Strobe LEDs and pitch indicator are fitted with super bright blue while 33/45 and pop-up lamps were fitted with super bright white, RCA cables and connectors replaced with internal ground. Tonearms rebuilt and re-calibrated. One pitch control replaced and both calibrated. Applied new aluminum pitch decal ornaments and installed under platter halo.

Before and after pics below...

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Oct 2014

This deck belong to Brian Cua. It was one of the two 1200s used in Bed Bar in Malate, Manila.

When fire broke in Bed, the firemen sprayed water in the 3rd floor and all of the excessive water flowed straight down in the 1st floor where the DJs booth was located. This turntable and it's pair were submerged and caught the debris from the fire rushed by the water. The pair had been there for quite sometime until the fire investigation was done. Brian asked me if I could still work on them and bring them back to life. So first thing I did was to check if the circuits of the main board was still working. Unfortunately, they were dead and the pitch controls too. It took me more than 2 years to find a surplus working main board. The tonearm section was in real bad shape. Tonearm clips were broken and pivot bearings were corroded with rust.

Main frame was scraped and repainted to super gloss white using polyurethane automotive paint. Same painting procedure with the tonearm section. Pivot bearings were thoroughly cleaned and removed the rust. Bearings were also lubricated and main arm was cleaned. The rubber base were painted to flat black and platter was scraped, repainted to white and refaced. New pitch control was installed as well as the aluminum pitch decal ornament. Strobe, 33/45 and pitch zero indicator were replaced with super bright white LEDs. Pop up lamp was also converted to LED. RCA cables and connectors were also replaced with high quality and durable ones, ground wire eliminated and internally grounded. Pitch knob was also repainted to match the body.

Unfortunately, the other pair was beyond repair. Some parts used in this deck were also salvaged from its partner to keep at least one deck working.

Before and after pictures below...

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Oct 2014

Here's a deck I just finished for Owens Sun.

Main diecast cabinet and tonearm section were repainted in black metallic polyurethane super gloss finish. Rubber base cabinet repainted to flat black as well as tonearm mounting plate. Strobe, 33/45 and pitch indicator LEDS have been replaced with super bright white while pop-up lamp was converted to bright white LED. I also applied a special limited edition aluminum pitch decal ornament used only in the MK4 and MK6 models. Black with gold markings. Platter has been scraped, repainted and re-faced. Tonearm section repainted and re-calibrated. Spindle lubricated and Switch, Start/Stop, 33/45 assembly cleaned. Pivot bearings have also been lubricated. RC cables and connectors replaced with internal grounding. Pitch control cleaned and calibrated.

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Nov. 13, 2014

Here's a pair I just finished. One is for a friend while the other one is mine to keep. Both of the decks' main diecast frame, tonearm sections, pitch knobs, and platters are finished in polyurethane automotive paint topped with super glossy clear coat. I especially had the green color mixed as close to verde ithaca, a Lamborghini signature color. The only difference between the two is the pitch decal ornament. Silver with black markings and black with gold markings. Storbe LEDs have been replaced with super bright white. 33/45 & pitch indicator LEDs are fitted with green and pop up lamps are converted to LEDs super white. RCA cables and connectors replaced and ground wire modified. Tonearms rebuilt and calibrated to factory setting. Switch assembly and main board cleaned. Spindle lubricated as well as pivot bearings of the tonearms. One of the turntable's broken tonearm pivot housing was also replaced due to a crack seen in one of the pictures.

Lastly, I installed an under-platter halo on one unit.

Before refurbishment pics are also posted.

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:52 am

Nice decal bro. From a rebuilder point of view , it is like our seal of assurance for quality of work. Owners should be proud to have it on.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby JoeyGS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:08 am

Great work!
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicadraus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:50 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:Nice decal bro. From a rebuilder point of view , it is like our seal of assurance for quality of work. Owners should be proud to have it on.

Thanks sir Noli! :)

JoeyGS wrote:Great work!

Thanks sir Joey! :)
Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Yatake Tombi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Sir, saan ang location niyo..planning to restore mine.
Yatake Tombi

Postby Nicadraus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Yatake Tombi wrote:Sir, saan ang location niyo..planning to restore mine.

PM sent.
Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 am

Wow, yung ang masasabi ko, mabuti na lang nandyan, rene, noli and angelo, kayong mga nag re-restore ng technics. Kung naging sl1200 mk2 yung turntable ko , kaso sl1600 mk2 yung sakin, pa-repaint ko rin sana, any thoughts on sl1600 mk2 master angelo?
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:21 pm

jundai15 wrote:Wow, yung ang masasabi ko, mabuti na lang nandyan, rene, noli and angelo, kayong mga nag re-restore ng technics. Kung naging sl1200 mk2 yung turntable ko , kaso sl1600 mk2 yung sakin, pa-repaint ko rin sana, any thoughts on sl1600 mk2 master angelo?

Can do naman sir. :)
Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Professa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 am

Hi do you no were I can get gold pitch nobs for my deck please,,
Professa

Postby Mamimili » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Professa wrote:Hi do you no were I can get gold pitch nobs for my deck please,,

Hin Huat (not sure of the spelling)
Sim Lim Square, Singapore.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Jan 2015

Main diecast frames and tonearms sections repainted to 1210's original color (very dark flat gray, not black). Rubber base repainted to matte black. Strobe LEDs replaced with bright red. 33/45 and pop-up lamps fitted with super bright white LEDs while pitch indicator LEDs replaced to red. Tonearms rebuilt and calibrated to factory setting. Pitch controls cleaned and calibrated. RCA cables and connectors replaced as well as aluminum pitch decal ornaments (black). Platter re-faced (3 step) and repainetd to matte black.

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:24 pm

Jan 2015

Main diecast frames, tonearm sections and platters are repainted in glossy metallic orange using polyurethane automotive paint. Decks came without pop-up lamps so I provided a pair and converted to LED in super bright white. Strobe, 33/45 are also replaced with super bright white LEDs while pitch indicator LEDs were replaced with red. Installed new aluminum pitch decal ornament (silver). Tonearms rebulit and calibrated to factory setting. Lubricated pivot bearings of the tonerarms and spindle. Provided original pitch knobs because one was missing while the other was not original. Replaced RCA cable and connectors with internal ground modification. Pitch controls cleaned and calibrated. Installed new tonearms clip rests. Rubber base also repainted.

Before and after pics below.

Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby northwardnimbus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:14 am

ang astig! giving hope to unloved technics everywhere =)
northwardnimbus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nicadraus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:51 pm

northwardnimbus wrote:ang astig! giving hope to unloved technics everywhere =)

Thanks! :)
Nicadraus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:34 am

Agree. Hope you can advertise your shop location and if you sell restored Technics 1200s.

Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 am

Hey Nicadraus, i just smacked myself in the head, my apologies for my dumb post above!
I thought i was being helpful and just realized what i did. I love your work by the way.....
Mamimili
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Analog