YOUR FAVORITE VINTAGE/CLASSIC MM CARTRIDGE

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Re: YOUR FAVORITE VINTAGE/CLASSIC MM CARTRIDGE

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:16 pm

michael corleone wrote:

pack the denon and send it here so the grace will not be lonely anymore :)

@edrich....thats MY GRACE F8E :devil: :devil: :devil:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby corrsty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Pang gwapings lang Grace!!!
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Squirrelnutzipper wrote:Nothing's changed bro, they still have your name on them. And I still get to keep one of each ;)

Oh, not my point. Stylus is for you, Master!

Oh, thank you kind sir! :)

Azden and Andante. Wow, rare birds again! Haven't come across the former yet but i believe Andante was made by Sumiko? Do tell us how these two sound bro :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm

hypertriode wrote:
Squirrelnutzipper wrote:Nothing's changed bro, they still have your name on them. And I still get to keep one of each ;)

Oh, not my point. Stylus is for you, Master!

Oh, thank you kind sir! :)

Azden and Andante. Wow, rare birds again! Haven't come across the former yet but i believe Andante was made by Sumiko? Do tell us how these two sound bro :)

Hard to say at this point. But, they are both more involving to me than the Denon DL103D into Partridges I am using. They are both very open and pleasing, with the Azden being perhaps a little more powerful in the bass area. The Andante is probably a Sumiko cart. I bought it NOS for 150 USD. The funny thing is I bought two NOS Azdens, each for only 60 USD, and it is definitely a cartridge with the potential to outclass cartridges costing 10 to 30 times more. Time will tell. I really think it is time to revisit these vintage MMs.

This is hardly big news, as JE and some others found a lot of merit to older equipment. I am currently servicing a really rare broadcast turntable, a Russco Mark V, of which purpotedly less than 500 were built. It has a belt drive to intermediate shaft to idler arrangement, like the TD124. However, unlike the somewhat cheesey Thorens motor, this motor is a big and heavy Japanese made DC Hall effect unit with exquisite build quality and bearings.
I guess the lesson is that there is some really great vintage stuff out there with huge potential for not much money. All we need to do is keep an open mind, eyes peeled and experiment a little. After all, that is the fun of all this!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby michael corleone » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:54 pm

TAS wrote:
michael corleone wrote:

The video might convince TAS to bring back my Denon to life with his long lost love, Grace ;( Buy back ko na :devil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
michael corleone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby corrsty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Lalong maganda siguro boses ni Dino kapag Grace ginamit na cart........
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:07 pm

michael corleone wrote:
TAS wrote:
michael corleone wrote:

The video might convince TAS to bring back my Denon to life with his long lost love, Grace ;( Buy back ko na :devil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ASA KA PA!!! :)

Seriously if i we're MC i'd really be banging my head on the wall! :(
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:57 pm

hindi eto match sa system mo...kaya nga inunload mo eh.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheAnalogSource

Postby AUDIO8 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm

TAS wrote:hindi eto match sa system mo...kaya nga inunload mo eh.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc TAS can I request an audition of the grace cart you're keeping on your vault :?: :?: :?:
AUDIO8
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:27 am

AUDIO8 wrote:
TAS wrote:hindi eto match sa system mo...kaya nga inunload mo eh.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc TAS can I request an audition of the grace cart you're keeping on your vault :?: :?: :?:

:?: :?: :?: hhhhmmm.....hindi kaya ambush eto :devil: :devil: :devil: joke lang...sure ted...friday ok...long time no yingying na ah :lol: :lol: :lol:

para hindi OT....

although not so vintage...i also love the shure 97 not the current production 97xe model...these are entry level carts that came with entry level tables and are usually rebadged by the tt manufacturer...whats good about this model is that current stylus such as n447 or n55 will fit perfectly...
TheAnalogSource

Postby corrsty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi mga guru(rang) :D How does the Stanton 881 sound? Hope to read some opinions/insights. Thanks
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Grace Ruby F9
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby hypertriode » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:00 pm

pigdog wrote:Grace Ruby F9

tell us more, tell us more! is it love at first listen? :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby setup1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm

*WARNING*
Not for the faint hearted, VTF = 3 grams or over and for medium to high mass tonearms only!
All have conical stylii except the Grado.
L---->R
Denon DL102 (Hi-output MC - mono but with vertical compliance), Stanton V500, Stanton "classic" 500, GE RPX (variable reluctance - mono)

L---->R
Shure SC35C, Shure M7D, Shure M3D, Grado GTE + with ZTE stylus (elliptical, conical Grado stylus no longer available)

More info on how to use these cactus needles in crowbars. :lol:

Happy listening!
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby corrsty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 pm

setup1 wrote:*WARNING*
Not for the faint hearted, VTF = 3 grams or over and for medium to high mass tonearms only!
All have conical stylii except the Grado.
L---->R
Denon DL102 (Hi-output MC - mono but with vertical compliance), Stanton V500, Stanton "classic" 500, GE RPX (variable reluctance - mono)

Happy listening!

Hi JE,
Will the GE RPX (variable reluctance - mono) work with the stock SL1200mk2?
Thanks!
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BobT » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 pm

grace f-9 cart (even though stylus not original or sound-smith upgrade)
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:55 pm

corrsty wrote:Hi JE,Will the GE RPX (variable reluctance - mono) work with the stock SL1200mk2? Thanks!

Some people here have used the DL102 on SL1200 with good results. I have no experience with the SL1200 but even if the RPX is heavier than the DL102 I think it is worth trying and with a bit of imagination it could work.
A few ideas:
1. Avoid heavy audiophile grade head shells like Orsonic or Sumiko MS12. Heavy head shell + heavy cartridge in a low to medium mass tonearm defies logic.
2. IIRC, a few years back my co-mod Brian Clark at Lenco Lovers modified a cheap "skeletal" IEC mount head shell (eBay BIN for less than $10, might even be available in Raon) to mount an RPX on his SME 3012.
3. If this cart/shell combo still cannot be balanced by the stock tonearm, you may either add ballast to the counterweight or use the CW to apply the VTF. Digital scale will be helpful.
4. I set VTF in my Gray clone/RPX at 4-5 grams. 3 grams is too low for the RPX, it will mis track and please no stereo LPs, both RPX and the later VRII do not have vertical compliance.
5. Keep in mind a high VTF/conical stylus is kinder to LPs than a mis tracking/mis aligned low VTF/complex profile stylus.

Lenco Lovers does not exist anymore however Brian's pics may have been backed up and preserved at Lenco Heaven. I haven't visited that site in a while and Brian is no longer there. But snoop around, you might still find his old posts in the mono section.

Hope this helps!
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby corrsty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

setup1 wrote:
Some people here have used the DL102 on SL1200 with good results. I have no experience with the SL1200 but even if the RPX is heavier than the DL102 I think it is worth trying and with a bit of imagination it could work.
A few ideas:
1. Avoid heavy audiophile grade head shells like Orsonic or Sumiko MS12. Heavy head shell + heavy cartridge in a low to medium mass tonearm defies logic.
2. IIRC, a few years back my co-mod Brian Clark at Lenco Lovers modified a cheap "skeletal" IEC mount head shell (eBay BIN for less than $10, might even be available in Raon) to mount an RPX on his SME 3012.
3. If this cart/shell combo still cannot be balanced by the stock tonearm, you may either add ballast to the counterweight or use the CW to apply the VTF. Digital scale will be helpful.
4. I set VTF in my Gray clone/RPX at 4-5 grams. 3 grams is too low for the RPX, it will mis track and please no stereo LPs, both RPX and the later VRII do not have vertical compliance.
5. Keep in mind a high VTF/conical stylus is kinder to LPs than a mis tracking/mis aligned low VTF/complex profile stylus.

Lenco Lovers does not exist anymore however Brian's pics may have been backed up and preserved at Lenco Heaven. I haven't visited that site in a while and Brian is no longer there. But snoop around, you might still find his old posts in the mono section.

Hope this helps!

Thanks JE for the pointers. Based on guideline no. 4, the DL102 option will better suit someone who does not have that many mono records :)
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 pm

havent had time to listen to them....

SHURE V15s
type II, type III-G, type 4
sayang nabenta ko ng un type iii plain before the photo :(

SHURE M97 not the new production xe type.

TheAnalogSource

Postby Bagets » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:33 pm

STANTON 681eee on a vintage L&G/ Luxman P-41 TT
Bagets
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Analog