Spherical Stylus - overhang adjustment not critical?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Spherical Stylus - overhang adjustment not critical?

Postby KD » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:15 pm

The Shure M44-7 has been suggested as a cheap (but good) cartridge for an old Technics turntable. I notice from the Shure website that this model has a spherical (round) stylus.

Since the diameter of a spherical stylus is supposed to be constant across any two points in the cross section, does that mean I should not worry too much about aligning the cartridge? I can't adjust VTA and azimuth too much anyway.

Is this a true plug-and-play cartridge?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:47 pm

Whether that Shure spherical is more forgiving or not, I'll still try my best in aligning it as accurately as I can. :)

I believe in giving equal love to all cartridges, be it cheap, or expensive. :)

Even my P350 Shure ME92 cart/stylus was able to "touch base" with my $400 digital tracking force guage. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby KD » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:53 pm

He's a lover, not a fighter.

I was hoping to ask the owner to remove the headshell and bring it over so I could install the cartridge. Didn't want the trouble of having the whole turntable brought to me or, worse, travelling to the location to align it myself.. :(
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:12 am

I agree with MSM that you should still try to align the Shure M447 cart as best as you can. The rounded tip allows you less wear of the record grooves. The flipside of this, is that it doesn't pick up as much detail as compared to an elliptical stylus, and actually picks up more 'surface noise'.

Despite this, the Shure M447 cart is a favorite of mine, especially when looking for a cart to put on a Technics 'table. I'd still align it on the headshell w/c is attached to the 'table.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:32 pm

stereophile wrote: the Shure M447 cart is a favorite of mine, especially when looking for a cart to put on a Technics 'table.

Me too :!:

Thanks to you :!: :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stereophile » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:31 am

MSM wrote:

stereophile wrote:
the Shure M447 cart is a favorite of mine, especially when looking for a cart to put on a Technics 'table.

Me too

Thanks to you

Another convert to the Shure M44-7 cart ! :D
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Return to Analog