phono preamp with the WS tube preamp

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Postby mickey » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:25 pm

You cant Levi. First the gain of a phonostage about 100 times more than the wiredstate preamp. And second The noise of a decent preamp is close to 50% the output of an mm.

Mickey
mickey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:31 pm

levi wrote:I have a question about the preamp. Can I connect my Techics turntable to this preamp?

you need a phonostage. the output of a TT needs equalization (RIAA) which is in a phonostage.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby levi » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:32 pm

What is the cheapest way to have a Phonostage. I want to connect my turntable but I wont be using it very much so I dont want to invest too much. Thanks
levi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:16 am

levi wrote:What is the cheapest way to have a Phonostage. I want to connect my turntable but I wont be using it very much so I dont want to invest too much. Thanks

phonostatges are generally external devices and non-standard in most preamps. the cheapest/budget ones are in the $150-200 range...i just sold my musial fidelity for p4t...try to look for one...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:45 am

levi, there are two things you can do...

1) get a cheap phono stage from Hagerman Technologies - not the tube version! the Bugle phono stage, that Dino Lara also uses. I can assemble it for you, for free (it is solid state, so i miss it, bwahahahahaha)

2) give me your technics and i'll take care of it for you, nyahahahaha!
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:57 am

at $25 a piece, shouldn't we get a few of those locally...plus the signal generator they have...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:41 am

francis, you can also change the RIAA curve of the Bugle... may online calculator sila sa site. baka solusyon sa loading problem mo?

and according to some posts, the Bugle blows away the Musical Fidelity X-LP.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:27 pm

Loading problem :?: Resistor lang katapat niyan. :)

Changing the RIAA curve is more for those other old analog formats during the yester years. :)

If you look at the Dynaco PAS2/3 and other vintage pre-amps and integrated amps, you would notice various phono stage settings like "phono", "tape head", "special". :roll: These are all routed through the phono stage, but have different RIAA curves because the recorded material themselves have different RIAA curves when mastered. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:39 pm

AVDI used to sell cheap NAD phono stages before. :) I think it was the PP1 or PP2 or something. :roll: Not sure if they still have those in stock. :roll: Those were the cheapest brand new phono stages around before. :)

Don't expect DIY phono stages to come out. :( Unlike power amps and line pre-amps which can be done by any technically inclined DIYer, phono stages are harder to execute, primarily because of the requirement to have a good RIAA curve. :) It can be done, but more challenging. :wink:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby levi » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:36 am

arnoldc wrote:levi, there are two things you can do...

1) get a cheap phono stage from Hagerman Technologies - not the tube version! the Bugle phono stage, that Dino Lara also uses. I can assemble it for you, for free (it is solid state, so i miss it, bwahahahahaha)

2) give me your technics and i'll take care of it for you, nyahahahaha!

3) give levi a free XLP :)
levi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bugsy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:24 am

arnoldc wrote:according to some posts, the Bugle blows away the Musical Fidelity X-LP.

Who posted? Would you base a purchase from a post from an obscure person. Most likely the one who posted was the designer himself :D
bugsy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Quiel » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:35 am

i've seen in eBay a phono preamp for $25 :o ! I think the brand is RCA. It looks like a PDA attached to the TT.

Another option is to get a used preamp with Phono. I've seen several posted. I think Joe3rp posted a NAD.

Tubed preamp I would suppose would be more expensive. I've know someone who can build (tho w/o audition on my part) for P6k or so.
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:46 am

bugsy wrote:Who posted? Would you base a purchase from a post from an obscure person. Most likely the one who posted was the designer himself :D

1. i do not base my purchases on what people say,
2. which means i take what they say with a bucket of salt,
3. if you haven't seen my system details, you should know that i'm using musical fidelity x-lp.

now, if you keep an open mind, and let others speak out from their experiences, and take a bucket of salt while you listen (read) them, it won't hurt does it?

Read this with a bucket of Salt

i don't think these guys are "obscure" people (i don't make such comments) and they are not Jim Hagerman.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby XLR_silver » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:28 pm

battery operated sir arnold? can dinolara share with us his impressions? malakas ba sa
baterya?
thanks!
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:07 pm

Kung pa-tipiran na lang, get an old reciever / integrated amp with a phono stage (if you still have one), connect your turntable on the phono input of that receiver, place the selector in phono, connect RCA jacks in this reciever's REC OUT, and connect the other end of the interconnects in your DIY tube pre-amp. :wink:

Pwede na yun. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Return to Analog