HELP! recommended mat for thorens 160?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

HELP! recommended mat for thorens 160?

Postby jamants » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:16 pm

analog jedis! can anyone recommend a good mat for thorens 160? can you give me the details as to where i can buy them and the price....thanks
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:39 pm

You could try out Ringmat. :)

http://www.ringmat.com/

I think it sells for around $90. :)

Its available in internet-based stores which specialize in Analog. Try looking at Elusive Disc and Needle Doctor. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ambel » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:18 pm

Here is a cheaper alternative it would require cutting it to a record size. This is the mat
that i'm using right now i have the felt mat, Audioquest sorbothane mat (yikes), and ringmat which is cork based. I have seen this on Ace True value stores these are
use for kithcen shelves liner they are called Grip liner it's kind of rubber cloth net.
ambel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jamants » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:19 pm

thanks shoe and ambel!

$90 is just way too expensive, i think il try the True Value alternative!! :lol:

ambel, can you tell me more about this? can others suggest cheaper alternatives or cheaper products?
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby red76 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:48 pm

Hi jamants,

I'd try ambel's suggestion.. True Value has the mats, I use them but as dining table place mats (no kidding.) It is very similar to this commercial product:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... ephono.htm

The only problem some have encountered is that the mat itself can stick the record when you try changing sides or removing a record from the platter, so YMMV.

I personally use an old mat called Platter Matter, it's a "sticky" rubber mat that some say is similar to AQ sorbothane (but different grade of rubber???). I haven't seen an AQ mat yet so I can't compare. The AQ mat has the bad reputaton of "robbing detail and transients. etc" (overdamped?) from most decks. Others who experiment with a combination of glassplatter/thin cork/thin felt and find it good at damping ringing while not killing the sound.

red76
*recently saw a documentary/concert footage of the late Jerrry Garcia and David Grsiman collaboration on HBO. Cool stuff....*
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tony M » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:51 pm

Hi,

The vinyl liner comes in different color. I have use this in my basis TT as mat. Also,
inside and on top of my CD player cover as protection and resonant control.

Tony M.

:wink: Have fun & enjoy listening :wink:
Tony M

Postby jamants » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:07 pm

red,
hey ive seen those placemats!! is it those soft rubbery plastic things? u think that'll work? damn i missed that jerry garcia documentary, do you remember the title? so i can check the sked out

tony,
is the vinyl lining your referring to the same as what red and ambel is recommending?

thanks all
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby red76 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:12 pm

red,
hey ive seen those placemats!! is it those soft rubbery plastic things? u think that'll work? damn i missed that jerry garcia documentary, do you remember the title? so i can check the sked out

jamants,

Yes they are the soft rubbery mesh type mats that comes in diff colors. I haven't tried 'em so I dunno how they sound. I only use them when it's time for dinner at my flat :lol: You just need to have some crafts skills in cutting a perfect circle and spindle hole.

The title is Grateful Dawg (Jerry=Gratful Dead, David= Dawg) .. Fave track is Friend of the Devil that they sang live acoustic with their group, but a bit interrupted by comments. Bluegrass Old Music meets jazz blues and everything in-between with a few sly comments and sense of humor from Jerry.
I have the Lou Reed docu on vhs (Lou Reed: Rock and Roll Heart), and saw it after Grateful Dawg.. What a stark contrast since Lou (and The Velvet Underground) hated the hippie scene in the West Coast when they toured there in '67 (hippies hated them too). I like both their music though... One of the few people who liked the Velvets was Jim Morrison before he even was in a band when he saw their gig with the FZ and the Mothers of Invention at UCLA. Btw, FZ and Co. hated VU and vice versa even if they had more similarities between them compared to the flower-power groups in that era....

red76
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tony M » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:50 pm

Jamants,

I have not tried the rubbery mat ambel and red is referring. I use the smooth vinly roll
one with the sticky underside. This is very thin. Just tried it for aesthetic purpose only.

Tony M.

:wink: Have fun & enjoy listening :wink:
Tony M

Postby KD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:55 pm

ambel wrote:Here is a cheaper alternative it would require cutting it to a record size.

This might be a stupid question but what tool do you recommend to cut the mat into a reasonably perfect circle?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby jamants » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:59 pm

hey red!

lou reed and velvet, frank zappa and moi, the doors, and the dead are all really differently structured bands. especially the dead and VU, two bands in two different spectrum...since velvet is an any warhol project, its rather [i]upscale and artsy. :lol: and the grateful dead was a touring jam band, that most people can relate to during that time

but the strange thing is, all of these bands have one common appeal, i dont know what it is, but somehow somwhere their music meet....it must be the soul and passion of these musicians..passion for music that is hard to come by nowadays...so sad... :lol:

so be it lou reed, jerry garcia, frank zappa, jim morisson..all i can say is they all $#@!&* ROCK!! :lol:

i need to get those documentaries....thanks for the informative and entertaining post

KD,

i was thinking of a drawing compass and a pair of scissors...i hope that works...

Tony,

where can i get this smooth vinyl roll?

thanks all
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stereophile » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:30 am

KD,
There are circle cutters available at most office supply stores/National Bookstore. If you want to go the el cheapo/less elegant route, buy a scalpel blade #11(not 11 pcs, but model# 11)from a medical supply store/Mercury outlet. Attach it to the pencil side of a regular drawing compass or divide,r by whatever means, and cut away.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Return to Analog