Transcriptors' "The Transcriber"

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Transcriptors' "The Transcriber"

Postby setup2 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:58 pm

Some say the Transcriptors are the forefather of the Michell Gyrodec... Have only seen them in pictures and they really look fantastic... here is something from ebay... the last model they made... a not so conventional linear tracker...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=48649

Great pictures... have never seen them in great detail...
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:28 pm

Aesthetically this turntable looks strange. :roll: I love it :!: :) I love weird looking turntables. :)

What's more strange is that its not the arm that moves in relation to the record grooves, but its the entire platter that moves. :) Am I correct on this one :?: :roll:

Pwede ng pang Believe It, Or Not. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby red76 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:56 pm

Transcriptors Ireland gave license to Michell Engineering to manufacture the Hydraulic Reference... But the the ones made by Transcriptors in the mid to late 60's are the ones that are more sought after (popularized in the Kubrick flick, A Clockwork Orange.) Their latter Vestigial Arm is only usable with the then trendy ultra-light tracking cartridges. The original 10" arm that comes with the Reference/Hydraulic Reference is much more suited to a wider variety of cartidges (heavier low compliance.)

This particular model (Transcriber) has the linear trackingl arm mounted under the lid :!: While the platter itself moves across the stationary arm for record tracking (talk about reverse engineering :!: )

Transcriptors is actually still around and released a new "budget" model, the T6:

http://www.transcriptors.co.uk/

red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby setup2 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:40 am

oops, I misunderstood a part of the description made by the seller... It was the last model designed by David Gammon... :oops:

Thanks for the info red76...

I thought that those cones that serve as a platter were a vacuum hold down system...
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog