What is your dream tonearm?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

What is your dream tonearm?

Postby ihatejazz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:45 pm

No holds barred what will you get?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:49 pm

Top of the line Air-Tangent :!: :twisted:

:cry: ang mahal :cry:
Last edited by m_shoe_maker on Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:53 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Top of the line Air-Tangent :!: :twisted:

:cry: and mahal :cry:

What's that? Who is the manufacturer? How mucho? any good?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby johnmarc0 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:54 pm

it doesn't have to sound good, much less cheap, as long as I built it, am a happy camper.

JM
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:05 pm

Ihatejazz wrote:What's that? Who is the manufacturer? How mucho? any good?

Its no good. :P So owners of this junk should give their Air-Tangents to me. :D

Who ever gives me an Air-Tangent will receive a brand new Konka from me. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:39 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Ihatejazz wrote:What's that? Who is the manufacturer? How mucho? any good?

Its no good. :P So owners of this junk should give their Air-Tangents to me. :D

Who ever gives me an Air-Tangent will receive a brand new Konka from me. :D

Done! Since you are such a nice guy I will even get a remote
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup4 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:17 am

Airtangent 10B - US$10,000
Airtangent Reference - US$14,000
(with remote and only 100 pcs were made)

Both arms sound identical and are mechanically the same except that the Reference has a remote and has an LCD display for air pressure and VTA height. VTA can be adjusted from ones listening chair.

Only 2 guys can make your wish come true. Try the local clearaudio dealer, he's got a 10B ( wonder why he's still holding on to it since he's the clearaudio dealer). he he he. setup5 has the reference (#32) but i don't think he's gonna give it for free.
setup4

Postby hypertriode » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:02 am

IT's still the SME 3012/3012R for me installed on either my Thorens 124 or Garrard 301 table mounted on a massive DIY wood plinth (courtesy of SETUP4) with an Ortofon SPU (anybody selling?) connected to a Tamura step-up transformer (will settle with my Denon AU-305 for the meantime).
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby setup2 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:47 am

Setup4, you forget to mention the automatic lift-up after the last track of the record for the Airtangent Reference.

I remember those dream tonearms… I have setup5 to thank for giving me the privilege of handling and help install these dream tonearms in his system then.

When we were finally able to convince setup5 to go analog, he went all the way… he started with the Graham… then the Rockport air-bearing arm… the Airtangent 10B that setup4 mentioned… then the Airtangent Reference… if I remember right, this happened within 1 year!

Setup4 got the 10B when setup5 upgraded to the Reference… he was the one who mastered setting up this finicky arm on a VPI TNT… I consider his methods as one of the best in fine-tuning these tangent arms… he had that arm for quite some time and he was the last hold-out when we were shifting to DIY and SET… he even installed the 10B on a TD124!!! He finally let go of it and it is now with Mr. Clearaudio ‘the analog man’ dealer.

Setup5 has gone the Japanese way, he scored an NOS Garrard 301 in Japan and use it with the Ikeda IT-407 and the Ortofon SPU Royal (the nude version of the Ortofon SPUs)… The Airtangent Reference is still with him and may be resurrected one day…

As for me, I think the Schroder ‘The Reference’ will look nice with my Garrard 301 also placed in the massive plinth similar to what Hypertriode mentioned… maybe with the 12" ebony wood arm wand!
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:51 am

setup4 wrote:Airtangent 10B - US$10,000
Airtangent Reference - US$14,000
(with remote and only 100 pcs were made)

Only 2 guys can make your wish come true. Try the local clearaudio dealer, he's got a 10B ( wonder why he's still holding on to it since he's the clearaudio dealer). he he he. setup5 has the reference (#32) but i don't think he's gonna give it for free.

Yes, you are correct, only 2 guys in the Philippines can make my dream come true when it comes to hi-pressure Air-Tangents. :( But I am simple guy. I'll accept low-pressure Air-Tangents too, which 2 guys in the Phillipines own. :) So, all in all, there are 4 guys who could make my wish come true. :D

BTW, I heard that Mr. Clearaudio is selling his Air Tangent for.............. :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby setup4 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:10 am

Since you mentioned the TOP OF THE LINE Airtangents, what came to my mind was the high pressure models. Unfortunately both models have already ceased production. I know the other 2 low-pressure Airtangents, the 1C also came from mr.clearaudio himself.

If indeed mr.clearaudio is selling his 10B, i can only think of one arm he is going to replace it with...i guess he wants the luxury of adjusting the VTA from his listening chair this time around. correct me if i'm wrong mr.analog man
setup4

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:21 am

setup4 wrote:Since you mentioned the TOP OF THE LINE Airtangents, what came to my mind was the high pressure models. Unfortunately both models have already ceased production. I know the other 2 low-pressure Airtangents, the 1C also came from mr.clearaudio himself.

If indeed mr.clearaudio is selling his 10B, i can only think of one arm he is going to replace it with...i guess he wants the luxury of adjusting the VTA from his listening chair this time around. correct me if i'm wrong mr.analog man

Just goes to show how small the hi-end community, specifically the Analog community is in this country. :roll: These 4 Air Tangents are just being handed over from one top dog to another. :) When will I ever have the chance to own one of these 4 expensive Air Tangents :?: :cry: Such an exclusive brotherhood I must say. :)

Adjusting the VTA in one's listening chair............ now that's what I call class :!: :) Sabay, while sipping freshly brewed coffee. :) Cookies na rin para completo. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:17 pm

SETUP2 wrote:Setup4 got the 10B when setup5 upgraded to the Reference… he was the one who mastered setting up this finicky arm on a VPI TNT… I consider his methods as one of the best in fine-tuning these tangent arms… he had that arm for quite some time and he was the last hold-out when we were shifting to DIY and SET… he even installed the 10B on a TD124!!! He finally let go of it and it is now with Mr. Clearaudio ‘the analog man’ dealer.

Oh, I stand corrected :!: :oops:

Per Mr. Clearaudio, the moniker "the analog man" should not go to him, but to the one and only SETUP2. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:46 pm

To the Air Bearing tonearm experts...... :roll:

What could you say in terms of performance and build quality of the following:

1. Hi Pressure Air Tangents :)
2. Low Pressure Air Tangents :)
3. Rockports :)
4. ET2s :)

To the ex-Air Bearing tonearm users...... :roll:

Why did you revert back to pivoted tonearms :?: Do you believe pivoted arms are better than linear trackers, air bearing models in particular :?: Please explain as I want to be enlightened. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby arnoldc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:10 pm

i want an air tangent for my oracle delphi!!! :D

arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby setup4 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:30 pm

i am no air bearing expert as my 10B was the first and last air bearing tonearm that i have owned. it is a very nicely engineered piece of equipment. the designer claims that no file can damage the bearing itself. maybe we can ask mr.clearaudio for a demo.

as to the reason why i reverted back to pivoted arms.....there was a time that i had 3 t/t setups in my system.

system 1 was a clearaudio signature or koetsu urushi/airtangent 10B/ TNT Jr.

system 2 was an Ortofon SPU Gold Reference/Ikeda IT407-version 1/ Garrard 301 in a laminated MDF plinth.

system 3 was a Denon 103R, fidelity research 64fx, thorens 124 in a laminated MDF plinth.

maybe system 2 just favored my existing setup then or maybe it was the SPU that made the difference.

air bearing, linear or pivoted, at the end of the day, YOUR ears should have the last say in deciding what system do you want to keep and listen to.
setup4

Postby setup4 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:36 pm

i would certainly appreciate any comments from mr.clearaudio himself. he has a much wider experience when it comes to tonearms.
setup4

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:39 pm

setup4 wrote:i would certainly appreciate any comments from mr.clearaudio himself. he has a much wider experience when it comes to tonearms.

Me too :!: :D

m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:22 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
setup4 wrote:i would certainly appreciate any comments from mr.clearaudio himself. he has a much wider experience when it comes to tonearms.

Me too :!: :D

count me too!!!!!
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup4 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:07 pm

hey m shoe maker, a reliable little birdie told me that you both have a unipivot and a linear tracker in your arsenal!!! so what do the unipivot and linear tracker expert have to say in all of this. unipivot or linear tracker ??????
setup4

Next

Return to Analog