What is your dream tonearm?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Postby arnoldc » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:35 pm

bisto! kala ko ba binenta mo yung linear tracker mo ha msm? :P
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:53 pm

setup4 wrote:hey m shoe maker, a reliable little birdie told me that you both have a unipivot and a linear tracker in your arsenal!!! so what do the unipivot and linear tracker expert have to say in all of this. unipivot or linear tracker ??????

That nasty little birdie of yours is only partly correct. :roll:

Yes, I have right now a unipivot and a linear tracker on my table. :) But the linear tracker is not mine. :( NOT MINE :!: :x hehehehehe. It will just be with me until the next week or so. :( Since I was the middle man for the sale, I get to try it out. :D

Also, its not within the league of the top dogs such as you guys. :roll: its only mechanical, not air bearing. :(
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:05 pm

arnoldc wrote:bisto! kala ko ba binenta mo yung linear tracker mo ha msm? :P

Hey arnoldc, here was what happened...... A few months ago, a buyer bought a "Tangent" (Clearaudio's entry level linear tracker) through me. He told me I can use it for 2 weeks. :) The buyer then got the Tangent. About a month later, this buyer wanted to upgrade to a higher level Clearaudio linear tracker. :shock: He told me to sell the Tangent so he could purchase a higher level arm. Mr. Clearaudio gave an option to have it upgraded to the higher level, plus cash of course. :) The buyer agreed. The Tangent was sent back to Clearaudio Germany in exchange for the "TQI" (Clearaudio's mid-level linear tracker). This TQI will be with me till next week. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby setup2 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:31 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:
SETUP2 wrote:Setup4 got the 10B when setup5 upgraded to the Reference… he was the one who mastered setting up this finicky arm on a VPI TNT… I consider his methods as one of the best in fine-tuning these tangent arms… he had that arm for quite some time and he was the last hold-out when we were shifting to DIY and SET… he even installed the 10B on a TD124!!! He finally let go of it and it is now with Mr. Clearaudio ‘the analog man’ dealer.

Oh, I stand corrected :!: :oops:

Didn't think I was correcting you on anything when I stated the above facts... :o

Per Mr. Clearaudio, the moniker "the analog man" should not go to him, but to the one and only SETUP2. :D

For me, when you say "the analog man"... the first person that comes to my mind is 'Mang Dima'... heard many stories about his love for analog and how good he is in setting up analog rigs... saw him once in action and it confirmed the stories I heard... too bad that I got to meet him in the upswing of the digital revolution then... and I think Mang Dima is not as active anymore in analog...

The next person... will be 'Aris Ilagan'... he set-up my first so called 'audiophile' analog rig... a Thorens TD-125, SME 3009 and a Koetsu Black... he later helped me upgrade to a SME 310 arm... as Mang Dima was slowing down in analog, Aris was the man to go to then in setting up turntable system... he isn't active anymore but his last stint in audio was when he was with Upscale Audio at the old National Bookstore in QC Blvd... he would give the same attention in setting up an entry level Project turntable system as he would give their top of the line model then, the Michell Gyrodec...

Mr. Clearaudio deserves the title for keeping the analog flame alive by bringing in quality turntable systems...

As for me, I'm just an analog lover and don't have the credentials to be "the analog man"... those who entrusted to me their analog rigs are friends and I accepted working on them because if anything goes wrong, any damages can be charged to friendship. :)
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:23 am

SETUP2 wrote:The next person... will be 'Aris Ilagan'...

Yup, his spirit still lives as his Oracle Delphi, which has passed through differrent analog enthusiasts, is now in the hands of one of Pinoydiophiles' moderators. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:25 am

SETUP2 wrote:Mr. Clearaudio deserves the title for keeping the analog flame alive by bringing in quality turntable systems...

Yup, Mr. Clearaudio is D Man :!: :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:38 pm

So, any comments on experts who have used this and that tonearms, with this and that cartridges :?: :D

Anybody :?:

C'mon, dont' be shy. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby arnoldc » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:03 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Yup, his spirit still lives as his Oracle Delphi, which has passed through differrent analog enthusiasts, is now in the hands of one of Pinoydiophiles' moderators. :)

Is that his Oracle Delphi I'm currently using? Kaya pala ganda tumunog! :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:12 pm

arnoldc wrote:Is that his Oracle Delphi I'm currently using? Kaya pala ganda tumunog! :)

Nope. :)

So, that leaves us with...............Oracle Delphi owner and Moderator............... another try. :D

By the way, I have not seen him post lately............. oops, bisto na :!: :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:13 am

arnoldc wrote:bisto! kala ko ba binenta mo yung linear tracker mo ha msm? :P

Binenta nga pero yun proceeds inupgrade sa mas matindi!
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:33 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:By the way, I have not seen him post lately............. oops, bisto na :!: :D

ah si racio :D the oracle delphi mk 3 with unify tonearm :wink:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:30 pm

setup4 wrote:hey m shoe maker, a reliable little birdie told me that you both have a unipivot and a linear tracker in your arsenal!!! so what do the unipivot and linear tracker expert have to say in all of this. unipivot or linear tracker ??????

Ok, but please understand that I'm not, and do not claim to be like Michael "Kulot" Fremer or something when it comes to saying flowery audiophile jargon to describe stuff. :lol:

The comparison between a $1000 Unipivot and a $3000 mechanical Linear Tracker was done using the same turntable, same cartridges (2), same gear, and most of all, same listening room with the same set of ears, MINE. :) I hope you guys don't mind me not mentioning details of the system used. :) I'm no advertiser. :D

When Cartridge A was hooked-up to the Unipivot, then hooked up to the Linear Tracker, the differences were practically the same as when Cartridge B was hooked-up to the Unipivot, then to the Linear Tracker. :P

Findings: :roll:
- Both cartridges exhibited a more punchy bottom end when used with the Linear Tracker. :) I think that is what so-called audiophiles call "authority". :D
- Both cartridges had more smoother, mellow mids when used with the Unipivot. :)
- Both cartridges exhibited practically no inner groove nasties when used with the Linear Tracker. :)

I guess the liquid mids experienced when using the Unipivot was brought about by the fact that the Linear Tracker was still not broken in. :roll:

Hmmmmm....... how does one say it in terms of involvement to the music :?: :roll: Well, let me tell you this when I was listening to the same set of music. With the Linear Tracker, I was stomping my feet to the beat. With the Unipivot, I was more on moving my head left to right, up and down to the beat. :wink: Two different reactions, brought about by the same music. :) Get the picture :?: :wink:

Which is better........ :?: Lets just say, I now want a Linear Tracking tonearm :) ........ but I'll also keep my Unipivot. :) Why :?: Coz my turntable can accommodate not 1, not 2, but 3 tonearm / cartridge combos. :) Yipee :!: :lol:
Last edited by m_shoe_maker on Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:55 pm

arnoldc wrote:ah si racio :D the oracle delphi mk 3 with unify tonearm :wink:

Yup, but the Unify was an upgrade made by racio. :) BTW, where is racio. He is missing in action. :?
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:12 pm

setup4 wrote:i am no air bearing expert as my 10B was the first and last air bearing tonearm that i have owned. it is a very nicely engineered piece of equipment. the designer claims that no file can damage the bearing itself. maybe we can ask mr.clearaudio for a demo.

This would be a fantastic demo Mr. Clearaudio :!: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Previous

Return to Analog