Analog? Why not?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Analog? Why not?

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:22 am

Thanks to this very informative forum, quite a number 2-channel enthusiasts have been able to embrace tubes. :) Newbies, as well as long time solid-state users were able to understand the subjective (i say "subjective", so walang pwedeng magalit :D ) advantages of Tube Power. :) Moreover, fears and apprehensions to venture into tubes have somewhat been overcomed. :)

The next step...... :roll:

Maybe, just maybe, (i'm crossing my fingers :) ) through the help of this site, we could also do the same thing about going into analog. :roll:

Maybe we could answer your concerns and fears about going to analog. :roll: We are not claiming that an analog front-end is the best type of source (oh :?: :D ). We just want to help newbies, as well as digital-only users to get more comfortable about analog. :)

So, what are your main concerns :?: Maybe we could help out. :)
Last edited by m_shoe_maker on Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby johnmarc0 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:29 am

mahal masyado benta nyo na lang mesa nyo sakin! mahirap maghanap ng plaka.

JM
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:05 am

Hey JM, lucky you. :) You got your turntable for a friendly price. :)

But the things you mentioned are indeed valid concerns. :(

There are very few brand new turntables (with true blue distributors) that can be purchased here in the country. :( If I'm correct these are:

1. Clearaudio - German made
2. Pro-Ject - Czech made
3. VPI - US made

These range from P12T (tama ba for the entry level Pro-Ject :?: ), up to more than half a million pesoses. :shock: Quite expensive for a newbie. And honestly, quite "a barrier to entry" (corporate ba ang dating :?: :D ) if you ask me. :(

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

There is the 2nd hand market. For starters on a budget, one can try out those Japanese direct drive turntables such as Technics and Denon. These range from P3,000 to P10,000 depending on the model, condition and the seller.

Newbies are better starting with these type of tables as these are easier to set-up, not to mention quite heavy duty for the "unfamiliar" and still heavy hands of newbies.

Direct driven turntables are OK. Heck its still a turntable. :) Don't believe what other snob audiophiles say that the only way to go is belt drive units. :x

Heck, 20 years ago, I started out with a Technics direct drive unit. Now I'm getting one again for a back-up. :)

"Mahirap maghanap ng plaka" :( Sad but true. :( But again there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

There are shops who still sell these round black things called vinyl. :) BEBOP is one of them. He sells all types of music. Some audio stores also sell audiophile recordings for a price.

You could try out long time audiophiles, the veterans. These guys started out when the CD was still a figment of Sony's imagination. :) Surely, these guys have LPs. :) Not only ordinary LPs, but audiophile LPs. If you guys buy XRCDs / SACD / DVDAs etc. etc., you could just imagine what LPs these veterans were buying.

Cheap source vinyl you say :?: OK. Do what I do............ :roll:

Call your lolos, lolas, titos, titas, other relatives, friends (preferably old :D ) and just ask if they still have LPs in their bodegas. Chances are, you will be able get them for free. :) To them its junk, and you are in fact doing them a favor by cleaning out their bodegas. :) If you are the "not oppurtunistic" type, you can even buy it from them for P1, P5 or P10 a piece. :)

Now you know how I was able to source the 200++ LPs that was recently taken by KD. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stereophile » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:20 am

I saw some other brands of DJ ttables to add to your list MSM:
4. Numark- 5th Ave. Park Sq 1
5. Stanton- Tower Glorietta 4
6. Denon DJ-101- 3rd flr. Filinvest (forgot the name of the store)

I haven't heard any of these newer tables perform. The Stanton and Denon DJ-101are clones of the venerable Technics 1200. Direct Drive. The Numark looks ultra-modern.

The Stanton and Denon are over 20K in price. :( I didn't as about the Numark. Has anyone used/tried any of these tables? Please post your feedback.

Still, for a newbie, I'd recommend the secondhand market for starters. Get a direct drive unit. You don't have to worry aboult the belt. Should you not pursue analog after trying, you only got burned for a few K. It would also be easy unloading it. Should you decide to upgrade, you can get a belt driven ttable for comparison.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:19 am

I saw those Numark stuff too. :) Pretty impressive. :) 5th Avenue had this display, complete with 2 turntables and a mixer at the middle. :) A real DJ's delight. :D

Now that's what I'm talking about. There is no better way to promote analog, than to actually bring in more analog stuff, and display them with gusto. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby KD » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:40 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Now you know how I was able to source the 200++ LPs that was recently taken by KD. :)

20 years ago who among us would even consider buying used records? "Laspag na yan. Puro gasgas." Yesterday I took two records at random from the pile of 200++ I got from MSM, gave them a good cleaning and got wonderful sound.

A lot of used records from the 80s are in surprisingly good shape and with today's record cleaning machines, dust and dirt problems are controllable.

What I'm saying is if you're hesitant to consider buying used records, you should reconsider. There's a lot of good music left in those grooves.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:53 am

KD wrote:What I'm saying is if you're hesitant to consider buying used records, you should reconsider. There's a lot of good music left in those grooves.

AMEN to that, bro! :D Congratulations to your new acquisition (REGA Planar 3)! :D :D :D
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:44 pm

I just recently saw the Stanton at Tower Records. :)

It really looks like a Technics 1200 :!: :P

I think its P27T. :(
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stereophile » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:28 pm

YUP. Broke my heart too when I saw the price tag. :( Would you believe that the Stanton does not come with a ttable cover at that price?! :( :( :( (Weren't you wondering why it was naked?) :)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby mylene » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:40 pm

why not analog?

the installation, alignment, and tuning of a turntable is such a hassle, as compared to simply placing rca jacks, and plugging to the outlet of a compact disc player.
looking for records that you like is an additional waste of time, as compared to simply going to your favorite record bar to get those compact discs.
caring for records is another tiresome chore, as compared to simply placing your compact discs on its jewel case until the next time it is played.

might as well buy a compact disc player and have a simple, innocent life?

then again, i ask myself, what is life? life is what we make out of it. definitely, i would like to live life to the fullest. be the best, get the best.
mylene

Postby aero » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:45 am

My own reason why not is simple: most of the stuff I listen to is NOT on vinyl. Maybe this disqualifies me from being an "audiophile" but then again I've never considered myself that. I love listening to music, to well-played instruments, fine arrangements, to the words that make up a song (hence my immense appreciation of female singer-SONGWRITERS (over excellent female vocalists who do not write their own songs)). For good or ill the particular music that I most like exists not on vinyl.

A far second in terms of reasons that is really dependent on the first is the cost implications. I.e., if I had money to spend on gear, but the stuff available on vinyl is stuff I can appreciate but not really love, then I'd rather spend that money on improving my current (digital front-end) setup to better enjoy the music that I DO love (available only on CD).

In sum, I do not doubt the technology and benefits (subjective or otherwise); neither have I had the pleasure of doing comparisons. Simply, most of the music I love and enjoy exists in a format that dictates my current setup.

(Btw, my CD player has a tube output and I use a SET amp.)

aero
aero
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:31 pm

i agree with aero.

and one does not have to go analog to enjoy the "best".

just last night, i dropped by jovy's den a few blocks from where i stay. he has a digital front-end (burmester cd) -> cj preamp -> wavelength 45 amp -> psy speakers...i must admit his system is one of the most analog-sounding system i have ever heard in my audiophile years...nice system jovy!

i don't think he has to go analog to enjoy the music he loves.

why not analog for some folks? well, probably their current system already provides them the 99% they are looking for and getting the extra 1% may not really be worth it...both in time, effort, and money...

afterall, whether you have a CD or analog set-up, tube or ss, one can always derive musical enjoyment within the contraints (system or money) we all have.

"it's all about the music...and the journey to get 'there'..."
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:57 pm

mylene wrote:the installation, alignment, and tuning of a turntable is such a hassle, as compared to simply placing rca jacks, and plugging to the outlet of a compact disc player.
looking for records that you like is an additional waste of time, as compared to simply going to your favorite record bar to get those compact discs.
caring for records is another tiresome chore, as compared to simply placing your compact discs on its jewel case until the next time it is played.

might as well buy a compact disc player and have a simple, innocent life?

You know, you are absolutely right :!:

To hell with my analog set-up :!: :x
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:58 pm

Just kidding. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby botching » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:23 pm

siguro, previous users like me who has since abandoned tt will have an easier time using analog table again than those belonging to younger generations ( dito ako kasama ) who has never heard or been exposed to the sound of an lp spinning on a museum piece looking turntable.
Why not? i'll try analog again, and 99% i'm sure i'll like it, parang dejavu nga, i will hear and remember again how music sounds like 20 years ago! :)
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:37 pm

botching wrote:Why not? i'll try analog again, and 99% i'm sure i'll like it, parang dejavu nga, i will hear and remember again how music sounds like 20 years ago! :)

Complete with ticks and pops. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby arnel90 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:01 pm

even before i was converted into tubes, i already held on to my old man's technics. i knew someday i would still somehow go back to using it just like the good old high school days. true enough, after completing my audio chain, the old TT is now out of hibernation and still sounds good enough for me.
arnel90
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:58 pm

arnel90 wrote:even before i was converted into tubes, i already held on to my old man's technics. i knew someday i would still somehow go back to using it just like the good old high school days. true enough, after completing my audio chain, the old TT is now out of hibernation and still sounds good enough for me.

That's my boy :!: :twisted:

You want to join the most prestigious audio club in the universe :?:

The Technics Admirers and Enthusiasts Club :!: :twisted: Go to the Technics thread and sign in. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby arnel90 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:37 pm

i'll be honored sir, a neo TAE :)
arnel90
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman90a » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:54 pm

wow! bagong TAE :D

di mo pa ba ipapa-arbor sa akin yan para maging TAE na rin ako?
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Analog