Sealed LP: would you open it?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Sealed LP: would you open it?

Postby stereophile » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:53 am

I know some 'collectors' who spend a ton of dough acquiring a rare SEALED LP. They just look at it, coz if they open it, they believe the value of their treasure goes down. Some acquire a second copy (used) to play on their ttable (this still costs some) or a CD copy to preserve the sealed copy. They are so happy looking at the sealed LP and holding it in their hands.

To me, its the music inside the sleeve that matters. I don't see the point of keeping it sealed after spending a ton of dough, and never playing it in your lifetime.

I grew up with LPs. It was always special opening a sealed LP, pulling out crisp sleeves with the fragrance of a 'fresh' LP permeating your nostrils. After gingerly placing the shiny LP on the platter, you carefully cue in the tonearm/cart with your hand (sometimes shaky) and wait in eager anticipation for the first notes to sing...you can't do that with a CD.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Re: Sealed LP: would you open it?

Postby ihatejazz » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:32 am

[quote="stereophile"]I know some 'collectors' who spend a ton of dough acquiring a rare SEALED LP

That is why they are collectors! Times have changed. When LP was king lending out Lps were commonplace because you could always replace it if scratched, warped or lost. But today being able to acquire a sealed copy is somewhat of a treasure find. Not to mention if you are able to find sealed deep groove, mono LP of Jutta Hipp on Blue Note, i.e. This could fetch a mid 4 figure price tag. Would you want to open it and have its value skid by at least half?

But commmon titles or new re-issues that you from acoustic sounds, etc that is a different story. However, there are also some exceptions. Limited issues such as the Royal Ballet and Belafonte at Carnegie Hall issued on 45rpm were $120 when it was released on limited copies. Now it has a value of $500, as an example.
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:45 am

If I am already in that "collector" status, meaning to say the sealed LP is my second copy, maybe I'll keep it sealed. :roll:

Right now, I'm just a mere mortal who has single copies of LPs. :) In this case, I'll open 'em up and play it. :)

But of course, I won't lend 'em. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stereophile » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:23 am

I too am a mere 'mortal' when it comes to my vinyl stash. :( I'd rather get an LP I still don't have than acquire a second copy, unless I really like it and it's dirt cheap! :D It's the music that matters to me.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:28 am

heard Hyperaudio has a stash of sealed LPs for sale. Wonder how much he will sell it to a friend :D
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:33 am

Ihatejazz wrote:heard Hyperaudio has a stash of sealed LPs for sale. Wonder how much he will sell it to a friend :D

May New Wave kaya :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stjohn » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:45 am

:roll: man, software sounds like a toy now...
collect?...and i always thought music was for listening... well then, for these 'collectors' the music in those vinyls doesn't really matter as long as they can get mo'money for it in the future... so what kind of 'music' do they listen to? duplicates? copies?... boggles my mind, but if they enjoy it that way, then it's probably good for their health.

egay
8)
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:26 am

reminds me of friends collecting comics...not sure if they even read them...i know of someone buying those rare marvel comics, which they seal and handle only with gloves..he didn't even read them but i know he made a lot of money reselling those collectibles...good for him...he gets tremendous pleasure owning them,

same with LPs....there are active groups of LP collectors whose objective is really to acquire/own those super rare LPs, not for their sonic value but for their "collectivity", and some for investments...this is no different from antique collectors...you buy those antique vases or plates but not use them...

most LP reissues are sealed and they are cheap...i buy them, open them up and enjoy the music. otoh, i have some very rare LPs that are mint (sealed) and i got them for investments... first pressings, rare decca originals (1950's) of ella, etc..sealed super rare rock album that i've seen prices triple already in the past 5 years...will i open them...nah! i don't even enjoy rock! besides i can always enjoy their cheap reissues or CDs anytime :wink:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Analog