Quadrophonic Recordings?

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Quadrophonic Recordings?

Postby Oscillate Wildly » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:45 am

do i need to buy a quadrophonic turntable or just a quadrophonic amp to listen to this pressings?
Oscillate Wildly
Citizen
Citizen

Postby red76 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:15 am

do i need to buy a quadrophonic turntable or just a quadrophonic amp to listen to this pressings?

Hi OW,

First of all welcome to the 'sanctuary' of all things audio in the Philippines..

To answer your question, NO you don't need a auad TT or quad needle etc. to play them. Most Quad pressings if not all are playable in stereo. In those days (mid 70's = poor vinyl) there are many formats of Quadrophonic, so it is not universally playable too for one quad cartridge fits-all type. To tell you the truth, most quad pressings are not up to par in quality vs. original stereo pressings. They are electronically processed after the stereo recording to emulate 'primitive' surround sound that is even more unnatural than todays digital surround sound standards for music.. JMHO so YMMV.

BTW, I like your username... Reminds me of 'The Smiths'. :wink:

red76
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:43 pm

Yup, those were considered "Funny Stereo". :D Kinda odd really. For me, I'd even prefer monophonic recordings than those "processed" stereo stuff. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Oscillate Wildly » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:38 pm

hey thanks red76 and MSM for the info. i guess the quadrophonic sound was just a gimmick then, just like ProLogic??? :P

-louder than bombs
Oscillate Wildly
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog