Plinth Mod.

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Plinth Mod.

Postby tricker » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:54 pm

Hi all,

Is there anyone who modified the plinth of Turntable? I want A real wood and thicker plinth, if Have how much will I spend. My TT is REGA Planar 2

Thank you[/img]
tricker

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:32 pm

Hey tricker, :)

I think we're on the same boat, I would also like to play around with the plinth of my Rega Planar 3. :) As to the type of wood, I do not know what to use yet. :roll: We have to consider resonance and all those geeky stuff from knowledgable geeks... ooops, I mean "experts". :D If possible, I want to have a weird looking plinth design. :P

I also plan to make a motor housing so that the motor would be separated from the plinth. As to the belt, I can source a long one to accommodate the external motor configuration.

Maybe we could make a flywheel ala - VPI TNT. :P

I'll still use the glass platter, but probably get a ringmat. :P

I'll definitely get one of those rega VTA adjusters for flexibility. :P

Ano pa ba :?: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The posibilities are endless. :)

But first, the wood................. :roll: :roll: :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Quiel » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:42 pm

What about fiberglass? Is it a good material? Maybe a combination of hardwood and fiberglass... was thinking glass would be quieter... maybe.
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stjohn » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:52 pm

this is absolutely fun!.. modifying plinths...
there are 2 schools here:
- light and stiff school
- massive school
take your pick.

what you want is to 'control' the noise produced by your system (i.e. motor, arm, etc) so they don't mess the output... note 'control' - you can't completely eliminate noise... then there's airborne noise picked-up by your pick-up/needle/cart...

i am of the 'mass school' because I believe that the only (practical) way to 'control' unwanted noise/resonance is by 'swamping' - drown the resonance into submission by letting the TT's mass 'absorb' them and prevent re-introduction into the system (though newtow tells us otherwise)... mass tends to control this resonance feedback, thus, appears being eliminated and not mess our reproduction.

i think glass ain't the way to go as it 'rings' a lot... fiberglass?? how about carbon fiber composites? many analogists have gone this path,,, but,,,

take a solid, 50mm-thk kamagong or any good hardwood, place your TT on top and hear the difference.,, compare with a massive slate, or even granite,,,

enjoy, good buddy :)
.e.
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:41 pm

Where can I buy Kamagong :?: :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stjohn » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:52 pm

kuya
got mine in quezon... bigat (pwede kang ma-hernia)...
cheap - 17"x4'x2" = P800 (i think) :? , problem is the thickness is not uniform, I reckon if i had to have this planed, the resulting thickness is 1.5"... still OK as I just use it as replacement platform for my rack.

there are other choices of hardwood, which I may also try soon.

greets!
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:10 pm

Quezon :?: I guess that's Quezon Province and not Quezon City. :cry:

What other hardwood would be a good base :?: The one which is readily available in Manila stores :?: All I see in hardware stores are plywood, ply-board, lawanit, etc. :cry: :x :cry: :x :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:30 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Quezon :?: I guess that's Quezon Province and not Quezon City. :cry:

What other hardwood would be a good base :?: The one which is readily available in Manila stores :?: All I see in hardware stores are plywood, ply-board, lawanit, etc. :cry: :x :cry: :x :D

How about trying banana? or kalachuchi?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:23 am

Ihatejazz wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:Quezon :?: I guess that's Quezon Province and not Quezon City. :cry:

Good choices ihatejazz. :D Both are not hardwood, so I guess both will give the turntable some damping and suspension. :D Since the banana type is not solid, and sort of have air in between them, you could consider that to have natural air suspension. :D As to the kalachuchi type, that also has some damping and suspension traits. Kalachuchi has this white liquid type of stuff inside, so you can consider it to have a natural hydraulic suspension. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stjohn » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:39 am

huhummm
you can't use banana because it's too slippery; kalachuci stinks besides being sticky... now if you're the handy type, you can actually weave the banana fiber and make yourself a drive belt,,, to top that, you can use the kalachuchi flowers as offering to the audio gods but only on the 5th hour of the 5th moon of the 11th house,,, or you can place the kalachuchi flowers behind your ears as they help define the highs & the lows, and the left & the right... hold them up high so clean and bright,,, clap them softly 1,2,3,,, :)

back to earth.
kuya, it was from Quezon Province,,, Real to be exact. I go there almost every weekend when I have the time. They've got a lot of hardwoods but i really do not know the 'common names', but i think the scientific name of one is 'tigasus kahoyakus'... walang halong serious.

i've seen a modified rega in Zurich, sporting a pseudo-granite base (actually made of layered/laminated wood, 4" thk)... the glass platter was resting on an acrylic sub-platter and the whole thing was driven by an outboard motor... no arm/cart as this is also outboard and choice of the buyer. nice. sorry, it wasn't working at that time.

modifying TTs could be rewarding.
I have an extra Loth-X and had been wanting to modify as well but time is always an issue. I think we have enough expert machinists around that this project 'could' be worth the effort,,, but the expense & the possible headaches & challenges??? well, that would separate the men from the pretentious.

have a nice color-coding day!
egay
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:13 pm

Ihatejazz wrote:

You can also slice the actual banana fruit and make them into those isolation feet such as surbothane feet. :) Although, you have to do this on a regular basis because the fruit will either rot or be eaten by roaches. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Quiel » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:00 pm

is it a good idea to use stone (like marble or granite slab) for the top plate (where the turntable assy is laid on -- except perhaps the tonearm)? It will be heavy definitely but how will it sound kaya?

Anyone who did venture into this?
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:56 am

Quiel wrote:is it a good idea to use stone (like marble or granite slab) for the top plate (where the turntable assy is laid on -- except perhaps the tonearm)? It will be heavy definitely but how will it sound kaya?

Anyone who did venture into this?

I once saw this Kenwood top of the line turntable before. Its plinth was made of marble of some sort. :roll: It was damn heavy for its size. :) In fact, I think Sensible Audio still has a unit like this for sale. :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Return to Analog