BBC report on vinyl

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

BBC report on vinyl

Postby dafos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:53 am

At about 730 today, the BBC reported the revival of vinyl in England. Leading the way are DJ's, several of whom were interviewed and stated that aside from being more fun and cool to spin, vinyl actually SOUNDED BETTER than CD's. The report then shifted to a "hole in the wall" store of used vinyl and the proprietor said that moving stock was never a problem, its replenishing them.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiofilio » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:51 am

Industry reports ( from the US & EU ) indeed confirm the resurgence of ANALOG. This millenium has seen risen sales of turntables and vinyls. Ever noticed the emergence of ultra-expensive turntables from different manufacturers? This is just to prove that vinyl is back and is here to stay!
audiofilio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby macolive » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:05 am

audiofilio wrote:Industry reports ( from the US & EU ) indeed confirm the resurgence of ANALOG. This millenium has seen risen sales of turntables and vinyls. Ever noticed the emergence of ultra-expensive turntables from different manufacturers? This is just to prove that vinyl is back and is here to stay!

Definitely on the rise. But I don't think it will ever become the mass-consumer product it used to be.
macolive
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:30 am

the report did acknowledge that it would never be the primary media of music that it used to be, but just the sight of plants pressing vinyl again being shown on bbc is heartwarming , don't you think?
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby conspicuous » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:19 pm

what's interesting is that there are those collecting the albums who don't even own a record player any more :shock: :lol: the commentator says it's because of the album artwork however it's akin to buying a coaster or place mat :lol:
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby aron » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:58 am

aron
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiofilio » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:35 am

... or acquiring a particular album. say "Kind of Blue" in all versions ie. 180gm, 200gm, 33rpm, in 45rpm, the wrong speed, the corrected version, the six-eye...
audiofilio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:10 pm

I was able to watch this too.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Vinyl Revival reported on BBC

Postby JackD201 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:24 pm

dafos wrote:At about 730 today, the BBC reported the revival of vinyl in England. Leading the way are DJ's, several of whom were interviewed and stated that aside from being more fun and cool to spin, vinyl actually SOUNDED BETTER than CD's. The report then shifted to a "hole in the wall" store of used vinyl and the proprietor said that moving stock was never a problem, its replenishing them.

I must admit that my ratio of DJ singles to LPs is almost 2 to 1. But the ratio of cost between my LP rig to my DJ rig is 20 to 1 :lol:

Wait....why am I laughing? :(
JackD201
Immortal

Re: BBC report on vinyl

Postby polaris » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:40 pm

haha...nice jack... :D

yup definitely not going to be mainstream like it used to be but the resurgence of re-issues is a clear indicator that it is making a niche comeback...i have also obseved younger folks who came into the hobby in the post vinyl era trying it out and eventually giving it up because it's too much work...

my neighborhood vinyl supplier here in toronto is among the city's best and the influx of used vinyl is still very strong from estates usually of the baby boomer generation disposing them...and the owner tells me that the profit is better than used cds.....

so dropping by everyday is a must before going home to chance upon gems... :D
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby redspecial » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:40 pm

I started my record collecting in 1984 (although my grandmother and my father used to buy my 45s when I was 3-10 years old - y'know the occasional Voltes V or Village People single - I started collecting with my own money by that year). And never once did I think to myself vinyl is gonna just disappear in the marketplace. When I saw the first batches of 60s recordings reissued on cd, I thought it looks pretty lame. Parang miniature of the real thing. So I said, "nahhhh, mawawala rin yan."

I was wrong, cds did have a certain longevity and vinyl was on its way out. But I clung on to my previous belief - vinyl won't die. Truth is, it stayed very much in the underground but it was alive. I said we have to give kudos to the DJs, indie rock bands and Jamaica (yes, Jamaica was one of the country that still press records well into the 90s - it is still their most sellable format) who kept it alive.

I was encouraged to find out Pearl Jam's Vitalogy was first released on vinyl before cds and cassettes (now THIS IS a dying format). And then I saw some adverts of Mobile Fidelity that promotes their latest vinyl reissues. And The Beatles' Live At The BBC and Anthology series also issued on vinyl. I know and confident that it will not die.

This news by BBC? Although encouraging, seems like old news to me. Para sa akin, di talaga nawala ang plaka.
redspecial
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:12 pm

What's telling is the use of vinyl in "hip" ads. Even the ad companies are in on it. In a span of half an hour I saw a Nokia ad and a music video by rising teen stars "Paramore". It is definitely cool again. Paradoxically, 45 singles are now being rolled out AFTER digital downloads even in the largest online DJ stores. :@ It used to be the other way around |(
JackD201
Immortal

Postby conspicuous » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:55 pm

redspecial wrote:...cassettes (now THIS IS a dying format)...

i have an older car i don't want to get rid off yet just because it has a cassette player 8) i have dozens of chromium dioxide tape compilations of records (LPs) and cds i lovingly and patiently put together in the 70s to 80s that i love driving to 8) :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:06 pm

conspicuous wrote:
redspecial wrote:...cassettes (now THIS IS a dying format)...

i have an older car i don't want to get rid off yet just because it has a cassette player 8) i have dozens of chromium dioxide tape compilations of records (LPs) and cds i lovingly and patiently put together in the 70s to 80s that i love driving to 8) :)

Mael,

Same with me :) I still use my old 80's Hiace van and still use the cassette player :) Quite fun to drive while listening to an old cassettte deck :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jtgf1966 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:53 pm

it's not only seen on "hip ads"...even blank cdr designs now look like records; i suppose this is aimed at music "burners" as a come on ie:melody and emtec (formerly basf) :)
jtgf1966
Citizen
Citizen

Postby John Martin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 am

Heard from someone that Columbia Records have started pressing again in commercial quantities starting this 2009...can someone validate.
Last edited by John Martin on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 am

checked out their site, there doesnt seem to be any news that Columbia has made any steps that will make us vinyl addicts happy :(

nice to see you posting again, Mr Speaker! :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby audioko » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 am

I also heard that capital records have started pressing vynil again :)
audioko

Re:

Postby bitoye » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:06 pm

conspicuous wrote:what's interesting is that there are those collecting the albums who don't even own a record player any more :shock: :lol: the commentator says it's because of the album artwork however it's akin to buying a coaster or place mat :lol:

I've seen some movie buffs buying Laserdiscs of some classic films who don't own a LD player. When i told them they could get a LD player cheap and it's like setting up a vhs player w/o the need for a full hd flatscreen which is flooding the market today, i still can't convince them to own one. There really is something with vinyl. It's timeless but better to have a vinly player of course.
bitoye
Citizen
Citizen

Re:

Postby donfloyd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 pm

conspicuous wrote:what's interesting is that there are those collecting the albums who don't even own a record player any more :shock: :lol: the commentator says it's because of the album artwork however it's akin to buying a coaster or place mat :lol:

i couldn't agree with you more, i don't own a record player right now and yet i'm crzay about vinyl. It's more than just the great sound that comes out of it, it's about the artwork too and owning an LP of your favourite band is really wonderful.
donfloyd

Next

Return to Analog