SHURE cartridges -- related question

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

SHURE cartridges -- related question

Postby Quiel » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:32 pm

Any general comments on this brand when it comes to cartridges and styli? Seem to be abundant in supply locally.

What will happen if the phono unit has minimum of 3-gram tracking force and you use a cart with .75 - 1.5 TF?
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:17 pm

Shure has been in the business for years. :P The ones available locally are cheap and are good enough for starters. :)

I don't quite understand the phrase you mentioned "phono unit has a minimum of 3 gram tracking force". :?

When adjusting a newly installed cartridge, you normally have to set the tonearm/cartridge at 0 gram tracking force - a situation wherein the tonearm/cartridge combo is "floating", or both ends of the arm are perfectly parallel to the platter. After achieving this "floating" (0 gram tracking force) set-up, you then adjust to the cartridge's recommended tracking force.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Quiel » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:38 pm

Acc to the manual, my TT allows only 3-gr min. of TF. Was also confirmed over Web by a cartridge vendor when i gave him tonearm and TT model. It appears to me then that i am limited to high value cartridges -- not much to play around into lower values, which I also believe are better sound, perhaps?

Thanks!
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:26 pm

Hmmmmm........ that's strange :?

Is your tonearm some sort of servo-driven linear tracker, as found on some Japanese turntables :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby stjohn » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:09 pm

quiel
quite strange, indeed... aren't you referring to capacitance?
I agree with MSM, but let me add:
- you add the weight of your cartridge (with the stylus, of course) to the arm and THEN balance the arm, get your stylus force monitor, and set your TF...

now... if your arm DO say that it has limits in its TF adjustment, you're stuck (though I haven't encountered anything like it in my limited audio life)... please verify... BTW, what arm/tonearm are you referring to?

greets
egay
8)
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog