SUPPORT: Tono Audio products

fine audio instruments for those who love music. hi-end sound, export-quality, proudly philippine made.

Moderator: TonoMan

SUPPORT: Tono Audio products

Postby Gabriel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:53 pm

I also got my preamp today. RU9's comments with respec tot build quality and shipping condition hold for me as well. I think the most noticeable change in my system is also the loudness and "slam." Bass is not deeper but is more noticeable. I don't know if this makes sense but that is what I perceived.

However, I noticed something that I PMed Mickey about and would like to get others' inputs. One tube emits a brighter light than the other and the weaker light tube has a black spot on top. Is this normal? Both channels sound equally loud though.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby KD » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:07 pm

Which tube is brighter, the right one?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby Gabriel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:46 pm

Yes. Noticed something else too. When I use the main in of my amp, there is a hum in the left channel with volume set to zero. None in the right channel. But, when I use the CD in, there is no hum. Plus, the sound when using the cd in is noticeably clearer and warmer than when using the main in.
Last edited by Gabriel on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Re: WS Preamp

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:I also got my preamp today. RU9's comments with respec tot build quality and shipping condition hold for me as well. I think the most noticeable change in my system is also the loudness and "slam." Bass is not deeper but is more noticeable. I don't know if this makes sense but that is what I perceived.

However, I noticed something that I PMed Mickey about and would like to get others' inputs. One tube emits a brighter light than the other and the weaker light tube has a black spot on top. Is this normal? Both channels sound equally loud though.

are the tubes identical in structure? sometimes, different brand of tubes have different brightness. try to switch the tubes and observe if the tubes behave the same way...

the tubes are under warranty so don't worry...we can replace them. it is also possible that one tube is defective causing the hum. does hum persist on same channel even after switching the tube?

btw, what amp are you using?
Last edited by vintage_dog on Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:10 pm

Yes sir. The tubes are identical at least that's what the boxes say. Just switched the tubes and the difference in the light emitted persists. And the hum has transferred channels.

I am using a NAD C320BEE.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:13 pm

Gabriel wrote:Yes sir. The tubes are identical at least that's what the boxes say. Just switched the tubes and the difference in the light emitted persists. And the hum has transferred channels.

I am using a NAD C320BEE.

one tube is busted. we'll give you a new pair!

where did you get the unit? if you can come to the wiredstate party tomorrow, we can give you the tubes.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:16 pm

I'm sorry sir but I'm the buyer from Cebu. Can the replacement pair be shipped as well?
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:I'm sorry sir but I'm the buyer from Cebu. Can the replacement pair be shipped as well?

sure. we'll ship it to you free...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:26 pm

Thank you.

BTW, can you suggest warm sounding tubes that I migh use later.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:30 pm

Gabriel wrote:Thank you.

BTW, can you suggest warm sounding tubes that I migh use later.

i don't recommend you do any tube roll at this point...maybe later. that tube is warm enough based on our listening tests and feedback from almost all owners...

can you pls PM me your celfone...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KD » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:10 pm

I notice the same thing as Gabriel has. The right tube glows slightly brighter than the left. Switching the two tubes has no effect. Right still brighter than left. I hear no effect on the sound, though, so I am letting it go.

My bigger problem is this. The wiring to input jacks or the input selector (DPDT) seems to be reversed, ie signal to the left input channel feeds to the right output channel, and vice versa. This is true for Input A and B. Is there an official Wiredstate service center?
KD
Legend
Legend

how many inputs?

Postby rossifumi46 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:27 pm

SIR, how many rca l inputs can the wiredstate tube preamp accomodate? thanx in advance:)
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby KD » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:27 pm

Two sets.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:04 am

KD wrote:I notice the same thing as Gabriel has. The right tube glows slightly brighter than the left. Switching the two tubes has no effect. Right still brighter than left. I hear no effect on the sound, though, so I am letting it go.

My bigger problem is this. The wiring to input jacks or the input selector (DPDT) seems to be reversed, ie signal to the left input channel feeds to the right output channel, and vice versa. This is true for Input A and B. Is there an official Wiredstate service center?

filament brightness could vary from tube to tube, and that is generally normal...

on the possibly reversed RCA output channels, suggest you bring your amp over to where you got it from and give you a new unit.

contact person for maintenance and warranty is "toobs" at wiredstate.
Last edited by vintage_dog on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:02 am

I happened to brush against the volume control while it was set to zero and the channel with the hum registered this. So tried gently tapping the casing and the tapping sound came out on the speaker with the hum. Is this a symptom of the tube problem also or is this a separate one?
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:37 am

Gabriel wrote:I happened to brush against the volume control while it was set to zero and the channel with the hum registered this. So tried gently tapping the casing and the tapping sound came out on the speaker with the hum. Is this a symptom of the tube problem also or is this a separate one?

yes, this is the sympton...this is called microphonics...this is caused by tubes that are mishandled like dropped or rough handled or simply a production defect...

as I shared earlier that will be replaced
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KD » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:19 am

vintage_dog wrote:contact person for maintenance and warranty is "toobs" at wiredstate.

Got it. Thanks.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:29 am

KD wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:contact person for maintenance and warranty is "toobs" at wiredstate.

Got it. Thanks.

we plan to swap your unit with a new one altogether...pls text me at 0917 621 5056 for details. :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:33 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
Gabriel wrote:I happened to brush against the volume control while it was set to zero and the channel with the hum registered this. So tried gently tapping the casing and the tapping sound came out on the speaker with the hum. Is this a symptom of the tube problem also or is this a separate one?

yes, this is the sympton...this is called microphonics...this is caused by tubes that are mishandled like dropped or rough handled or simply a production defect...

as I shared earlier that will be replaced

Thank you. In the meantime, can I continue using the preamp to break in the other components?
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby toobs » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:45 pm

Hi,

Yes, you can continue using your ws preamp to break-in your unit. The tube you got could be very microphonic. As what vintage dog mentioned, you will get a replacement.

For tube gears, a slight hum that you hear in your speakers is normal. You should only hear the hum when you put your ears a few inches from the speaker drivers. But in your sitting position, you should not hear it specially when playing music.

You will be receiving a pair of 6819 tubes that I tested myself in my system. I am using a pair of Klipsh chorus which is a very high sensitive speaker at 101db, the hum i got is still low so this should work ok in your system.

Mickey will ship your new pair of tubes within the week.

ed "toobs"
toobs
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to Tono Audio