SUPPORT: Tono Audio products

fine audio instruments for those who love music. hi-end sound, export-quality, proudly philippine made.

Moderator: TonoMan

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:05 am

on monday, we will send over a new tono preamp for you to use.

please arrange to ship back your unit to us together with all 4 tubes. we will investigate if there is something wrong with the unit.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:29 pm

Thank you very much sir. In the meantime, I will be experimenting with switching interconnects.

Somewhat OT but how is noise caused by appliance motors starting up classified? RFI or EMI? A very reasonably price line conditioner is locally available but it only has RFI filters.

Are tube equipment especially sensitive to noise?
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnel90 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:53 pm

got my replacement unit this morning, thank you very much sir ed.
arnel90
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:18 am

TIPS: the recommended way of powering up audio components:

to turn on, start with the source first, amps last

to turn off, use reverse order

for example:

ON: > CD > DAC > PREAMP > AMP

OFF: > AMP > PREAMP > DAC > CD

allow a few seconds before turning on each component. this will allow the component to stabilize before the signal is passed on to the next component in the chain...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:11 am

After switching interconnects, the right channel suddenly did not emit any sound. I peeked into the preamp with a flashlight and the solder to the rca input for this channel has been disconnected. Can this be repaired by local technician (in Cebu) without voiding the warranty? If yes, is there a specific quality required of the soldering material to be used?
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:43 am

gabriel,

suggest we just ship you a new unit altogether! that solder should not have come-off in the first place!

please send your mailing address via PM to "mickey"...just send that unit after you recieve the replacement.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:32 pm

Thank you sir. I will PM mickey ASAP.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat May 15, 2004 8:04 am

gabriel,

did you get the unit shipped by mickey?

v_d
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Wed May 26, 2004 7:09 am

Sir,

I have not received the replacement up to now. May I suggest that I have the connection repaired by a friend with excellent soldering skills with soldering material to be specified by you? I would really prefer this since this would not only save us the cost of shipping but also spare me from the long break in that would be required of a new unit.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed May 26, 2004 7:14 am

gabriel, per Mickey, the courier coinfirmed someone received the unit on May 15th at the address you gave. It was received by a certain Linda Maravilles.

we are surprised you did not get it and only informed us 10 days later.

please PM us your cell number.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gabriel » Wed May 26, 2004 11:44 am

Sir,

The courier did not deliver it to my department but to another one about three doors away. I did not even know this person to whom the courier delivered the preamp until I called up the office and asked around. This person also did not bother to call my department and inform me. I have also been informed that she went on leave on the 18th.

As to why I posted it only now, I have been following up with our department secretary but she said that no package had arrived for me as yet. As I did not know for sure that you sent it through overnight courier, I entertained the possibility that you used sea freight or some other lengthier mode of delivery. I hope you do not take this as an indicator of bad faith on my part.
Gabriel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed May 26, 2004 12:15 pm

Gabriel wrote: I hope you do not take this as an indicator of bad faith on my part.

of course not :-) i thought it was your residence, not an office. important thing is that it got there.

please let us know if everything is in order with the new preamp.

also, please ship back the problematic preamp and the defective tubes. we want to also know where the loose/cold solders were so we can improve on the next time...

we will pay for the freight of the unit, so you can ship them collect.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Octaver » Fri May 28, 2004 11:03 am

Sir VD,

Just curious, why my pre-amp left side 12au7 tube glow brighter than the left? I've read that's because of the tube itself, but when i interchanged the tube still the leftside will glow brighter. My question: is this affects the audio balanced of my system? I can't really tell but it seems my right channel sounds louder than my left speaker I really don't know if it's true beacause of the locations of the speakers and the room size. Kindly enlightened me regarding this GLOW
Thanks and More Power!
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Fri May 28, 2004 12:00 pm

what makes the tubes glow is the filament. the filament is powered by 12.6V supply (in the tono pre). some tubes' filaments grow brighter than others, but based on what you described, it should be checked (baka higher voltage nung kabila).
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Fri May 28, 2004 3:13 pm

please send over the preamp either to arnold or ed (toobs) and they can check-out teh voltages for you.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oclarem » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi

Sir VD just like to inquire regarding the switch of the Tono preamp I bought. As I remember before whenever you switch it on it also lights up. Since its was placed at my rack and the switch being at the back I never noticed that the light has already not working. The only visual indication that the preamp was on was by that the tubes are lit. May I know how can I restore the light on the switch is there a bulb to replace or the swicth itself needs to be replaced. Thanks and more power.

BTW Im still enjoying the Tono, and I have switched amps 4 times already but the Tono is still with me. More power to you and advanced Merry Christmas to you and to all.
Oclarem

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:16 am

Oclarem wrote:Hi

Sir VD just like to inquire regarding the switch of the Tono preamp I bought. As I remember before whenever you switch it on it also lights up. Since its was placed at my rack and the switch being at the back I never noticed that the light has already not working. The only visual indication that the preamp was on was by that the tubes are lit. May I know how can I restore the light on the switch is there a bulb to replace or the swicth itself needs to be replaced. Thanks and more power.

BTW Im still enjoying the Tono, and I have switched amps 4 times already but the Tono is still with me. More power to you and advanced Merry Christmas to you and to all.

we can have someone replace that lamp or switch for you. actually, unless you really need to have a lamp, better leave it without a lamp. note that most amps do not have a pilot amp. They may actually add some noise and really do not serve an audio-related purpose.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oclarem » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:20 am

vintage_dog wrote:we can have someone replace that lamp or switch for you. actually, unless you really need to have a lamp, better leave it without a lamp. note that most amps do not have a pilot amp. They may actually add some noise and really do not serve an audio-related purpose.

Thank you for the info, will give it a thought if I would still have the pilot lamp restored but for now Im still OK with it even without the lamp.

BTW Sir VD, would you still render the service you offered in the future if I decided to have it replace/restored and where will I bring the preamp.

Thanks and Happy New Year.
Oclarem

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:15 am

Oclarem wrote:...
BTW Sir VD, would you still render the service you offered in the future if I decided to have it replace/restored and where will I bring the preamp.

sure, you may contact ed at 0917-897-0798 for service
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oclarem » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:23 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
sure, you may contact ed at 0917-897-0798 for service

Will keep this is mind. Thanks and more power to you and the WS Team.
Oclarem

Previous

Return to Tono Audio