PRE-AMP: Tono pre (12au7)

fine audio instruments for those who love music. hi-end sound, export-quality, proudly philippine made.

Moderator: TonoMan

tono

Postby titan » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:24 am

Thanks arnoldc
titan
Citizen
Citizen

Re: tono pre amp

Postby iceman90a » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:28 am

titan wrote:Hey guys,

Just a question on the use of the tono pre amp. Can I connect the pre-amp to the phono stage of an integrated amp similar to connection using the cd input? I have not tried this yet since I need confirmation if its ok. Thanks.

what you can do is connect the turntable to the phono input of the integrated amp, then connect the tape out of the integrated to the input of the tono preamp :)

we've done this before and it works
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bullet » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:30 pm

Yipeeee.. My TONO pre-amp arrived last night here in K.S.A. after it's long journey.

I'm so excited......

Will post a feedback by tom. since I'm in the middle of shifting to another office location.

It seems that a heavy part is moving inside the chassis when I lift it and turn its on its side. Is this normal?
bullet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:26 pm

bullet wrote:It seems that a heavy part is moving inside the chassis when I lift it and turn its on its side. Is this normal?

no, it's not normal. nothing should be moving inside. can you open the preamp from under the chassis and check if something is loose, etc.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bullet » Fri May 07, 2004 12:45 am

Sir V_D,

Wiredstate site has been blocked in our office that's why I was not able to log in for the past week. I made the connections and both tubes seems to be OK and there is only a faint glow in both tubes.

All inputs are working as well as the output and volume control.

It has now a log in time of 14 hours.

All I can say...... details.. details... slam.. slam.... Boy oh boy, Norah Jones became larger than life and my JBL LX 2004 never sounded this good before.

No distortion and no hum audible even with the pre amp at 2 o'clock.

I'll just contact you through e-mail for my other inquiries.

I'll try to open it this week end to check on that moving part.
bullet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Killer Mike » Fri May 07, 2004 10:42 am

Bullet,

If Wiredstate has been blocked, go to this link and download the JAP anonymity & privacy software.

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

Cheers :D
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby bullet » Tue May 18, 2004 10:29 pm

Thanks Bro. Mike.

I'll try it.
bullet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bullet » Tue May 18, 2004 10:42 pm

I found the culprit. One screw holding the AC trabsformer is entirely missing and the other screw is very loose.

I'm trying to find some replacement screws to hold the trafo to the chassis.
bullet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby purple heart » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:02 pm

Will the preamp fair well with my rotel power amp? Thanks.
purple heart

Postby RU9 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:44 am

[quote="purple heart"]Will the preamp fair well with my rotel power amp? Thanks.[/quote]

Try the Rotel amp with the Tono pre-amp first before buying. My set-up, Tono pre-amp+Rotel RB03 amp sounds good BUT the volume level can only be set at 9:00 o'clock max. The amp will be overdriven past that mark.
RU9
Citizen
Citizen

Postby levi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Hi Vintage, Any chance you will make a new preamp with added features? Phono stage, More inputs, bigger chassis or even tube rectified? Thanks

Levi
levi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:49 am

The Tono preamp will remain as is. Within it's price range, it is quite unbeatable.

As announced earlier, we will soon be selling our production to the USA, thus we are disposing off all 2004 inventories. 11 units sold after the fair, and we have about 5 more left with 220v and the new handsome brassplate added on. All for a giveaway price of p8,800t (was p12,800 without the brassplate)!

After the untis are gone, this preamp will be a classic/collector's item :-) and will cost much much more in the USA....

Watch-out for the review/feature at Vacuum Tube Valley magazine (USA)... the owner/publisher of VTV in now a proud owner of the Tono 300b amp and Tono preamp!!!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KEN2 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:43 pm

Sir advise needed...

I have a HT setup and interested/thinking of getting a tube preamp; presently receiver pre outs(L,R&C) are connected to amps -(375mV for 50W into 8ohms,20Kohms impendance - dont know about this figures just took if from the amps manual). Dont have separate set of speaker for audio only setup. I'm eyeing TONO preamp but dont know if it's ok to match it with my amps...and how to connect it using the same set of speaker for both audio and HT operation ? I'm a newbee on tubes...

TIA
KEN2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:20 pm

Boss Francis, please reserve one for me. I'm reserving in behalf of Mr Romeo Tiu. Thanks!
dogears
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:25 pm

KEN2 wrote:Sir advise needed...

I have a HT setup and interested/thinking of getting a tube preamp; presently receiver pre outs(L,R&C) are connected to amps -(375mV for 50W into 8ohms,20Kohms impendance - dont know about this figures just took if from the amps manual). Dont have separate set of speaker for audio only setup. I'm eyeing TONO preamp but dont know if it's ok to match it with my amps...and how to connect it using the same set of speaker for both audio and HT operation ? I'm a newbee on tubes...

TIA

we can lend you a unit to try out with your set-up. just send me a PM (private message) and we'll help you set-up...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:26 pm

dogears wrote:Boss Francis, please reserve one for me. I'm reserving in behalf of Mr Romeo Tiu. Thanks!

done. i think he'll be home mid-december
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rom » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:53 pm

Sir Francis,

Thank you!

Cheers
rom
rom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby boombastig » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:44 pm

vintage_dog wrote:The Tono preamp will remain as is. Within it's price range, it is quite unbeatable.

As announced earlier, we will soon be selling our production to the USA, thus we are disposing off all 2004 inventories. 11 units sold after the fair, and we have about 5 more left with 220v and the new handsome brassplate added on. All for a giveaway price of p8,800t (was p12,800 without the brassplate)!

After the untis are gone, this preamp will be a classic/collector's item :-) and will cost much much more in the USA....

Watch-out for the review/feature at Vacuum Tube Valley magazine (USA)... the owner/publisher of VTV in now a proud owner of the Tono 300b amp and Tono preamp!!!

Can you reserve one for me? Will send you pm.
boombastig
Citizen
Citizen

Postby KEN2 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:05 pm

Advise needed...

Sir, I have a HT setup and interested/thinking of getting a TONO tube preamp; presently receiver pre outs(L,R&C) are connected to 3 power amps -(375mV for 50W into 8ohms,20Kohms impendance - dont know about this figures just took if from the amps manual). I'm eyeing TONO preamp but dont know if it's ok to match it with my power amps... I'm a newbee. Dont have yet set of seperate speaker for audio only setup

TIA
KEN2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:18 pm

TIA, do you have 3 separate power amps for your HT set-up? you will need only one set of amps to drive your 2 front speakers. If you are to use a preamp (like TOno), you will have to bypass the preamp section of your HT/receiver and connect the Tono to the amps. What receiver do you have?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Tono Audio