A tono 300b for a newbie?

fine audio instruments for those who love music. hi-end sound, export-quality, proudly philippine made.

Moderator: TonoMan

A tono 300b for a newbie?

Postby magzzz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:38 pm

Sir, I'm just a newbie here and all I can say, this forum got me influenced into tube I've been reading and learning a lot here very interesting forum. If ever I had a chance to buy a tono 300b how much it will cost.(Hope it still cheap) :oops:
magzzz

Re: A tono 300b for a newbie?

Postby macolive » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:14 am

magzzz wrote:Sir, I'm just a newbie here and all I can say, this forum got me influenced into tube I've been reading and learning a lot here very interesting forum. If ever I had a chance to buy a tono 300b how much it will cost.(Hope it still cheap) :oops:

Hi Magzz.

I had a tono 300b and trust me....for the parts they used, it's a steal! You won't be sorry (until you part with it!). :cry:
macolive
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:26 am

magzzz wrote:Sir, I'm just a newbie here and all I can say, this forum got me influenced into tube I've been reading and learning a lot here very interesting forum. If ever I had a chance to buy a tono 300b how much it will cost.(Hope it still cheap) :oops:

thanks for the interst.

my advice: if you have the right speakers for it, then go for it. otherwise, if you plan to drive less sensitive speakers (less than 90db sensitivity) and like to play rock at ear-splitting level, get a tube push-pull amp instead.

btw, what speakers do you plan to use with the 300b amp (8wpc)? best is to try the amp (and any other amp) with your speakers in your room before making any decision.

good luck.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amandarae » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:10 am

I second what macolive says. The secret is to have a speaker that will match well with the 300B. It took me months to dial up my Brines Fostex MLTL (Fostex 167E) but the effort is well worth it. I love my 300B and so far never even bother to think to let it go. Besides it's made by my brothers back home and that is more than enough for me to think otherwise.

I am in the USA. So many 300B amps to consider but choose to get the Super Tono. At present, I have 3 sets (and counting) of tube amps (Dynaco ST-70, Eico HF-30 monoblocks, Super Tono 300B, and McIntosh MC 60 monoblocks on the way), 3 solid state (Odyssey mono blocks, Threshold Stasis S500, and Mc Intosh 2105 on the way and should be here by Tuesday).

It is so easy to discard the 300B if it does not sound great isn't it? No way! I love the amp and as I mentioned here in the forum before to Vintage Dog (the man), the Super Tono is a permanent fixture in my rack.

Try to audition it if you can in a proper set up then make your own decision. Me, I took a leap of faith to buy the amp and have it ship here without hearing it. I just rely on my gut feeling from seeing what components were use to build the amp and then I pull the trigger. I am glad that I did! Thanks to Francis (Vintage Dog) for giving us (my brother who resides here in the US also have one) the priveledge to buy a pair.

Good Luck!
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Doc Jr 8156 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:43 am

Yup. Consider the speaker first before deciding or it wil be costly. All 5 pairs (speakers) I had have sensitivity of 90db or greater and the Tono 300B drive them all with ease and louder than my listening preference. As Amandarae said, a great amp and worth the effort for both of us for the Tono 300B to be shipped from the Philippines to us here in the U.S. I was actually the one who paved the way and persuave Amandarae to get one too.

Wiredstate people are so easy to deal with and be assured you will get a 1st class amp with the Tono 300B. Francis (vintage dog) will guide you along the way.

Once you got the amp and have the appropriate speaker, Amandarae can help you with tube selections. I'm might be biased because Amandarae is my twin brother but this guy got rare tubes you will not see anywhere and he tried numerous combinations to get the best sounding tube compliment for the 300B. Naks naman sa buil-up! Now Amandarae. lets talk about those Bozak 401's...................

Speakers I 'm using for my 300B:

Bozak CM 200-2
Bozak 301S
JBL e-20 Monitors
Fostex 168EZ Full Loaded Back Horn
Klipsch Forte circa 1981

GODSPEED!
Doc Jr 8156
Citizen
Citizen

Postby generesg » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:22 am

newbie question? i have an existing speaker custom made by another maker on the other site. its specs says that its on 88db. Can i still purchase 300b?

Thanks guys.
generesg

Postby amandarae » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm

generesq,

All I can say for sure is to audition the 300B if you can. 88dB sensitivity does not say much about the speaker. What if at a certain frequency the speaker have some nasty impedance swing? Say 3 to 2 Ohms at 15 khz. I doubt it if the 300B can follow because maybe it is not designed for that.

Doc,

How's the move goin? Let's say that I have a modest tube collection as compared to other people here and keep it like that okay? :wink:
As for the 401's, they are not for sale but you can have it if you know what I mean. They are almost extinct as poachers gets the best out of them nowadays so it is very difficult to find a pair (except that guy who lives far away and never wear shoes that happens to have several types of them). You know what, they sound much sweeter now with the 60's Sprague caps on the crossover. When you have time, we can have a listen.
BTW, the Macs are coming soon.

c-ya!
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Scooter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:20 pm

I just got a Tono 300B and don't know much about them. History? How much were they new? Value used? How will they pair with Khorns?
Scooter

Return to Tono Audio