computer speaker as HT; repair/restore old speaker system

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

computer speaker as HT; repair/restore old speaker system

Postby dodong_brusko » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 am

Hello Wiredstate,

Thank you for accepting my registration request. I am a newbie in this kind of hobby and I would like ask for a big help:

1) I have an Altec Lansing VS3251 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system, which I'll be using as a starter home theater for our room. i'm planning to place the speakers and the wires using the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 setup (rear speakers-90-110 degrees; equilateral triangle placement of main speakers, etc.). would it be possible to have the speakers mounted?

2) I have an old Pioneer stereo system which my dad bought in the 80's. i don't have all the model numbers with me right now (will post it as soon asap, nakatambak pa.), but he bought it as a set (PL-570 turntable, amp, cassette player, AM/FM tuner, 6-disc cd player, equalizer, two 4-way CS-T7000 stander speakers). i consider this my very first audio system, so it's kinda sentimental for me. :)
- this one, however, has major issues, i think:
- first the speakers were flooded, kaya bako-bako na ang kahoy ng speakers. :(
- the last time i used this was like more than 10 years ago. im not sure if they're still usable (especially the turntable, since i was not able to operate it ever)

>> with these mentioned, is there anyone who can help me repair/restore our old system?

appreciate the response. :D
Last edited by dodong_brusko on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodong_brusko

Re: computer speaker as HT; repair/restore old speaker system

Postby Nelson de Leon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:59 pm

For starters, you can make use of what you have. Please check your receiver if it is capable of full HD and if it can decode the basic Dolby digital and DTS codes.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk 4
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dodong_brusko » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 pm

thanks sir nelson for the advise. actually im planning to buy a 5.1 decoder (yung binebenta sa lazada, around 2k ang price) for my receivers. yung inputs kasi nung altec is 3 3.5mm's (center, left, and right), walang optical or HDMI input. do you have any suggestions or recommendations regarding sa decoder? medyo nag-aalangan kasi ako dun sa binebenta sa lazada e. :D
dodong_brusko

Postby Nelson de Leon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:01 am

personally I'd rather advice you to get a modern receiver na. That way you have an amp and decoder capable of decoding the latest. Via HDMI pa ang audio and video so less clutter. Simple set up.
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby t187181 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Hello!

Finally after 2 years, i somewhat completed my setup.

HT:

TV: Sony Bravia 43 inch 4k TV
Audio: Altec Lansing VS3251 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system, with 2.1/5.1 decoder (decided to buy from lazada :))
inputs: mibox android TV, media player, family computer, sky cable HD digibox, and a bluetooth receiver with optical, RCA, aux output (will transfer this eventually to the pioneer sound system)

- the altec has 3 input options: Stereo, 5.1, and Aux. with the 2.1/5.1 decoder in place, i can switch the input to 2.1 (for hi-fi audio), and 5.1 (for HD movies)
- got rid of all low quality audio and video files (mp3, .avi, etc.), then retained flac and mkv files. so far my HT experience is good. :)

HI-FI: (Pioneer PL-570 turntable, amp, cassette player, AM/FM tuner, 6-disc cd player, equalizer, two 4-way CS-T7000 stander speakers)

soon. naghahanap pa ng lugar na palalagyan.

if ever i need to have the old hifi system (Pioneer PL-570 turntable, amp, cassette player, AM/FM tuner, 6-disc cd player, equalizer, two 4-way CS-T7000 stander speakers), meron po ba kayong marerecommend na pioneer service center, or trusted na nagrerepair ng mga hifi equipment in Manila?
t187181

Return to NEWBIE Corner