DIY Record Solution Availability in the Philippines

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

DIY Record Solution Availability in the Philippines

Postby jundai15 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:19 am

Hi everyone, sorry to ask about this because, maybe this question was asked many times now. I've been reading some articles especially in Vinylengine on what solutions they use DIY style in cleaning records, the latest article was they use 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner and distlled water, they bathe the records in the soluton combining distilled water and the 2 in 1 shampoo and contioner and after washing, they rinse it double or triple times to get rid and air dry the records. Sound good because a lot to them are getting good reslts in this method. My worry is the residue in the stylus but they say rinsing is the key to avoid residue triple rinsing maybe will do the trick to remove any residue on the record.

In my on way, I've washed records using my Groovmaster Label Protector, in a spray bottle with distlled water and a drop of Joy Dishwahing liquid colored yellow , my process is first wettting the record in tap water and spray the DIY solution at one side at a time, using a artist brush or micro fiber cloth the going in circles and then rinse it enough, the last step in the rinsing process in a "BATCHA" half filled with distilled water and then air dry. I've got good results with this method. My questions is aside from joy dishwahing liquid , meron pa kayang ibang pwede gamitin na available dito satin, yung nakita ko kasi na ginagamit nila sa abroad na dishwashing liquid is color-less, DAWN dishwashing liquid is ginagamit nila, naubusan na ako ng english, but any way any comments will be ok, thanks
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Re: DIY Record Solution Availability in the Philippines

Postby darkest_error » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:40 am

I use the common DIY recipe: 3 parts distilled water and 1 part 99% iso alcohol plus a very small amount of powdered plain detergent. I usually roll soft, non abrasive tissue lengthwise almost the same length as a carbon brush to spread evenly the solution and agitate any residue all across the record surface and another fresh one to wipe off any excess solution and of course the dirt residue. I used tissue paper because they are more absorbent as compared to microfiber. Using microfiber to wipe off excess solution may still leave some residue. When you play the record after cleaning using microfiber, you'll see buildup of dirt on the tip indicating that there are still some left. Parang pinalambot lang ng solution yung dirt and then eventually scraped off by the needle. But with tissue, I can play right away without any residue building up on the needle during playback. This is just my DIY method, purists will still prefer non-alcohol based commercial solutions and really would stay away from alcohol as they affect the vinyl in time according to them. That's why I use minimal alcohol on my solution, probably less than 1 part. I got these ingredients in bambang as 99% iso alcohol is quite difficult to find and quite expensive.
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Try to search for DIY cleaning solutions :) you'll be surprised on the depth of discussion related to this subject :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby superwup » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:24 pm

superwup
Citizen
Citizen

Return to NEWBIE Corner