Interior Designer for Music Rooms

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

Interior Designer for Music Rooms

Postby dnk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 pm

My wife is bugging me to hire a professional interior designer to re-design our music room. I did the initial 'design' myself and it was ok, until I ran out of record and equipment storage. I like the idea of a professional doing it for us, but don't like the idea that the 'professional' doesn't have a clue about our hobby. A simple question I ask to check is: why do turntable/equipment racks have only 3 legs instead of 4? As of now, 3 out of 3 answered aesthetics. I have to give these guys credit as their portfolios are very impressive, but when you get suggestions like putting a turntable on top of a stack of drawers, you may have to think twice, or in my case, three times. I have to admit though that I am short of ideas and time to do this by myself.

I am curious if anyone else hired an interior designer for their music room? Who did it and how was it?

Thanks!
dnk
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Interior Designer for Music Rooms

Postby bb3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Definitely not aesthetics. It's easier to level 3 legs than 4 for a TT rack.Notice the 3-point suspension on most TTs?
I know this follows for other equipment rack as well but I feel stability (rather than exact leveling) of 4 legs is more important for amp/preamp racks.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sweetspot » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi I'm Rogel. High end systems like TT's ,Preamps (specially the phono stage) are greatly affected by vibrations.Turntables like gyrodeck have applied this approach, and so many others. Initially,the principle is to equally and easily distribute the weight to eliminate low-resonant frequencies which can cause low-end feedback(rumble).
re:Acoustics, I previously , have designed Music Rooms for Mr.Rod Ranchez, Mr.Lex Amora, Mr.Gerry Alzate, showroom of Watts HiFi, and many others. I hope I could be of service to you. Thank you.

My contact no: 0947-4749295.
Facebook acct.: rogelserrano@facebook.com
sweetspot

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:39 am

A 3-legged rack is to make leveling simple, but a 4-legged rack is more stable. As far as vibrations are concerned, the 3-legged rack, having only 3 points touching the ground, is theoretically less prone to vibrations, but a badly designed 3-legged rack will be more susceptible to vibrations ( mass plays an important factor in stability of the equipment)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

I have aesthetic design work entrusted to Fernando Ng who is both an an Architect and Interior Designer. He helps in physical furniture layouts/occupant's flow of movement, color, material, finish, accessories and don't forget lighting.

Acoustic design work on my room was done by Tracks Acoustics who aside from my room, did Emperor's, Architectural Audio, AVDi, ABS-CBN, GMA-7, TV5 and many more.

I've also done projects with PAD Inc. For stealthy solutions. Their acoustician runs simulations based on construction plans remotely from Japan.

It is best to have the ID and AD work together from pen and paper to finish if the goal is not to have a space that looks too audio centric. In other words not have panels and forests of traps everywhere. In truth hiding or making treatments look inconspicuous really isn't that hard IF they are planned out early and are not simply add ons. To my knowledge there is no local service professional equally adept at both. Even globally the list is extremely short.

Hope this helps.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby superwup » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Track Studio did close but the Engineer responsible for the work at GMA etc is Sir Mike Pedero..higly qualified.

You can contact him by Facebook..

https://www.facebook.com/mikepxfm
superwup
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Yup Tracks is Mike and Mike is Tracks :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby superwup » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 am

Don't forget for the studio the great work of Angie Rozul. :)
superwup
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dnk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

The work we need done is on the interior design part and not much on the acoustics as the room currently sounds OK. Not great but just OK. Main issues to solve are storage space for records and equipment, furniture selection, layout and flow, and probably lighting.

Lets see how it goes. Cheers!
dnk
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:25 am

I am currently working on my music room. The aesthetics were done by Hazel Uy while the acoustics were done by tracks.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:51 pm

How are you Mullard88? It's been too long neighbor!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mullard88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:34 am

I am fine. Thank you. How are you?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Busy again Sam but all in all I'm fine. Let's get together soon!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mullard88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:00 pm

It's good to be busy and I am glad you're fine. Let' schedule something.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:39 pm

indeed :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Nelson de Leon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:13 am

dnk wrote:My wife is bugging me to hire a professional interior designer to re-design our music room. I did the initial 'design' myself and it was ok, until I ran out of record and equipment storage. I like the idea of a professional doing it for us, but don't like the idea that the 'professional' doesn't have a clue about our hobby. A simple question I ask to check is: why do turntable/equipment racks have only 3 legs instead of 4? As of now, 3 out of 3 answered aesthetics. I have to give these guys credit as their portfolios are very impressive, but when you get suggestions like putting a turntable on top of a stack of drawers, you may have to think twice, or in my case, three times. I have to admit though that I am short of ideas and time to do this by myself.

I am curious if anyone else hired an interior designer for their music room? Who did it and how was it?

Thanks!

I do have an architect who is in charge of the aesthetics in my acoustic installs. Maybe we can get in touch.

mullard88 wrote:I am currently working on my music room. The aesthetics were done by Hazel Uy while the acoustics were done by tracks.

Congrats! New house?
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Just renovated my flat to relocate and increase the size of my music room.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:14 pm

mullard88 wrote:Just renovated my flat to relocate and increase the size of my music room.

That's great to hear, Mullard. Hope to hear it soon.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:23 am

Hi Jadis,

It might still take some time. I just discovered one of the stands of the speaker is wobbly. One screw of the stand is missing. Super Mario will try to procure and install the screw. If the stand still does not stabilize, I will have new stands fabricated. I don't know what else to expect as I bring my stuff out of storage.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:09 am

mullard88 wrote:Hi Jadis,

It might still take some time. I just discovered one of the stands of the speaker is wobbly. One screw of the stand is missing. Super Mario will try to procure and install the screw. If the stand still does not stabilize, I will have new stands fabricated. I don't know what else to expect as I bring my stuff out of storage.

Hi Mullard,

Hoping for the best results with your stands.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to NEWBIE Corner