Vinyl Drying Rack

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

Vinyl Drying Rack

Postby jundai15 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Saan po kaya makakabili ng drying rack para sa 12 inch na plaka? Can you also show if you have a picture of your drying racks para magkaroon ng idea. Thanks po
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Vinyl Drying Rack

Postby zenaudio » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 pm

You can get this (dish rack) in True Value/Ace Hardware or Rustan's. Folds away neatly.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jundai15 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks for the info and image zenaudio, how about for other members, How do you air-dry your records after wet cleaning?
Last edited by jundai15 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby obsi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 pm

jundai15 wrote:Thanks for the infor and image zenaudio, how about for other members, How do you air-dry your records after wet cleaning?

I also use a dish holder, albeit plastic
obsi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:37 pm

obsi wrote:
jundai15 wrote:Thanks for the infor and image zenaudio, how about for other members, How do you air-dry your records after wet cleaning?

Sir kung meron ka picture, can you also post it kung meron lang :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby obsi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 am

jundai15 wrote:
obsi wrote:

Sir kung meron ka picture, can you also post it kung meron lang :)

ok will take a pic tomorrow, it's just the typical dish holder available in true value, ace hardware, etc
obsi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:43 am

Thanks obsi, actually I'm a newbie who just started wet-cleaning vinyl records, using a groovemaster label protector, joy dishwashing and distilled water brew, my only problem is a drying rack, I've seen a drying rack on youtube, looking for rack that the center of the vinyl only touches the dish rack spacer, yung medyo mataas yung spacer yung sa center, :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 am

jundai15 wrote:Saan po kaya makakabili ng drying rack para sa 12 inch na plaka? Can you also show if you have a picture of your drying racks para magkaroon ng idea. Thanks po

Befor I had my RCM I had (and still gave) a Groovmaster.

What I did was to use a blue Microtex microfiber cloth (yung walang balahibo) for drying the records. The microfiber is excellent for drying since it does not leave any residue of what we call himulmol on the LP. I use 2 cloths, 1 for removing the excess water and another one for drying the record. You may need at least 2 pairs depending on the number of records you are cleaning.

For drying, I simply place the LPs on the table to air dry, and use large paper kitchen napkins to absorb any excess water. I flip them over after 10-15 minutes. No need for a dish rack, which can lead to unintended scratches if the LPs tip over or someone accidentally hits the dish rack, which has happened before. :(
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Rush2112 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 am

Mga bossing saan kaya makakabili ng groove master label protector.
Rush2112
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am

Before i had a machine i used a folding wooden dish rack, less chance of damage. My original idea was to cover the slats with felt, but i am lazy. I had also planned to make a frame with wooden hangers, the hanger was to be a simple strip of wood with a small dowel attached to fit the LP center hole.

As i find LP cleaning about as interesting as cutting toe nails, instead of cleaning a lot of LP's at the same time, invest in a small manual vacuum machine (noisy) or a centrifugal cleaner (zero noise), then you can quickly clean and dry a single LP before playing it.
Which is far less of a chore and you do not have to worry about drying storage!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby jundai15 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Rush2112 wrote:Mga bossing saan kaya makakabili ng groove master label protector.

Got it from a seller from pdvd sir
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:45 pm

muypogi wrote:
jundai15 wrote:Saan po kaya makakabili ng drying rack para sa 12 inch na plaka? Can you also show if you have a picture of your drying racks para magkaroon ng idea. Thanks po

Befor I had my RCM I had (and still gave) a Groovmaster.

What I did was to use a blue Microtex microfiber cloth (yung walang balahibo) for drying the records. The microfiber is excellent for drying since it does not leave any residue of what we call himulmol on the LP. I use 2 cloths, 1 for removing the excess water and another one for drying the record. You may need at least 2 pairs depending on the number of records you are cleaning.

For drying, I simply place the LPs on the table to air dry, and use large paper kitchen napkins to absorb any excess water. I flip them over after 10-15 minutes. No need for a dish rack, which can lead to unintended scratches if the LPs tip over or someone accidentally hits the dish rack, which has happened before.

Thanks muypogi for the info, doon nga ako nag-worry about scratches using a dish rack. But due to lack of space sa house, looking for the dish rack with which is greatly spaced in between and yung spacer na sakto sa center ng plaka para dun naka rest yung plaka, but I will still look for more options :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:20 pm

No scratches, it only touches the edge of the LP...

Image Image
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jundai15 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks for the pics sir
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby obsi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 am

isn't chamois better than microfiber for drying kasi it doesn't leave himulmul?
obsi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 am

obsi wrote:isn't chamois better than microfiber for drying kasi it doesn't leave himulmul?

Medyo hesitant ako sumubok ng chamois, parang nakaka gasgas ng plaka, I use microfiber yun para sa lcd, cameras or moble phone, and when i dry the records after washing, hindi ko masyadong dinidiinan to avoid static, yung medthod ko ay pat-dry lang using microfiber, I just try to remove excess water after washing then leave it to air-dry
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 am

Nung first time ako nag wet-cleaning ng plaka, madiin kung pag punas ko kasi makikita mo talaga makintab, pero naisip ko just to make sure na walang himulmol sa grooves, Inulit ko hugasan na lang with pure distilled water , babad method sa isang plastic na palanggana with distilled water then pat-dry and then air dry, medyo O.A. ako , hehehe
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:23 pm

I use a wet&dry vac with a modified nozzle to dry my vinyls :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Jon, even when using a VPI RCM, I still let them dry on the rack. I normally clean a batch of 10-12 anyway, so by the time I'm done with the last one, the first one has been sitting on the rack for quite a while and any residual moisture not sucked by the vacuum would have evaporated. Ready to play! :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:51 pm

zenaudio wrote:Jon, even when using a VPI RCM, I still let them dry on the rack. I normally clean a batch of 10-12 anyway, so by the time I'm done with the last one, the first one has been sitting on the rack for quite a while and any residual moisture not sucked by the vacuum would have evaporated. Ready to play! :)

Nes,

In my case, the suction power of the shop vac is quite strong, kaya dry na kaagad after one pass :).
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to NEWBIE Corner