Newbie's 1st Voigt Pipe

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

Newbie's 1st Voigt Pipe

Postby T-Rex » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:08 pm

My first encounter with the voigt pipe (6’ triangle) was about 2 years ago when my friend made his first pair of voigt pipes. The way it sounded in a spacious garden simply got my attention. After learning that it was a DIY project and low cost at that, I thought of making one for myself back then. My friend gave me the design already but work (Yes, WORK that thing that you have to attend to in order to save money to sustain one’s hobby) got in the way.

I recently got hooked into HTs and with work NOT getting in the way (since have no work), I finally found time to build by myself my first voight pipe (6’ triangle). With no real carpentry experience and with only a regular saw, hammer, jig-saw, electric sander, and electric drill as main tools it was a miracle for me to have finished the pair (which I now consider as my highest trophy – at 6’) no matter how crude it ended. THANKS to my friend I was lucky that he shared his tips (what materials to use, where to buy, etc.) that saved me time and money.

Since RS-1354A are no where to be found/bought anymore then I settled for what ever available (here in Manila) RS full range driver that comes closest in specs to the 1354A. Combined with the voigt it sounded great to my ears.

Feeling ko ngayon napag iwanan yung Mission m73i speakers ko that I am considering to sell my Mission speaker set (m73i, m7ci, m7ds) to buy a tube amp [Any advice?]. The voigt was clearly dynamic, had better sound staging, imaging and higher efficiency. Lamang ng mga 5-8 db against the m73i. With the Voigt, pinpointing where the sound or performer is had become easier and a habit now. Its bass was natural and just right for me (something I felt the mission speakers lacked ).

Setting aside my first encounter with the voigt pipes, I am interetested to know the history of the much talked about “ike’s voigt”.
- Would be great to hear its history – how did it really start, what led to the modification, inspiration, snags, etc..
- May I know what other drivers compliment the design. (preferably low cost drivers and something that will hopefully complement the triangle voigt)
- Any chance that the design will be shareware like the triangles?

Cheers :)

T-Rex
T-Rex
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Newbie's 1st Voigt Pipe

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:10 pm

T-Rex wrote:
Since RS-1354A are no where to be found/bought anymore then I settled for what ever available (here in Manila) RS full range driver that comes closest in specs to the 1354A. Combined with the voigt it sounded great to my ears.

what RS driver did you use?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FASTBACK » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:57 am

T-Rex

Can you share the design of the voigt pipe

Thanks
FASTBACK
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:06 am

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby T-Rex » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:11 pm

Vintage_Dog,

Its the 1265. However, I still believe that the 1354A still has the edge.

Fastback,

I used www.melhuish.org/audio/diy12.htm

:wink:
T-Rex
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:07 am

there are two voigts at home - one using a RS 1285 driver and the other one is a RS 1297. yes, the RS 1354 seem to have the edge on overall tonal balance and dynamics.

we also had good results with a sony 4.5". we will use these in ike's design.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:17 am

yo guys, benc just finished a 7' Voigt :shock:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby mozilla » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:20 am

Last I heard the 6' version daw sounded better than the 7' prototype.
mozilla

Postby arnoldc » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:48 am

i don't think so :wink: i think ben had some magic in the seven... in fact he was inviting me to bring my 2A3 to drive his seven.

also got me thinking, the radio shack 5 1/4" driver is intended for car audio, and most car audio speakers have high sensitivity, hmmm... car audio for your home? maybe that's the magic.

which reminds me, i have an un-used pair Kenwood KFC-1675 92dB speakers which i stripped off my CR-V in favor of a pair of JBLs. May i should make a 12 Voigt... :D 12 INCHES!!! he he he
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Return to NEWBIE Corner