Things that make you respect/look-up to a fellow Audiophile

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

Things that make you respect/look-up to a fellow Audiophile

Postby Henley » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:04 pm

Years into the hobby, depth of knowledge, convincing power (important, for married audionut :lol: ), etc....
Henley
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:33 am

only one:

PASSION for the hobby
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gau_Ban » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:23 pm

What makes me respect an audiophile? His taste in music. Kung mababaw ang taste mo, sorry ka na lang.

GB
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hyperion » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:20 pm

Gau_Ban

Is it wise to judge one person's decorum through his subjective taste in music? If there is anyone shallow here, it's probably you har har har! :twisted:
Hyperion

Postby scott299d » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:56 am

Gau_Ban wrote:What makes me respect an audiophile? His taste in music. Kung mababaw ang taste mo, sorry ka na lang.

GB

what kind of music do you listen to? could list down 5 to 10 song do you think is your favorite.
scott299d
Citizen
Citizen

Postby johnmarc0 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:41 pm

An audiophile, what ever his musical, equipment and prefferred direction as long as he shows the same amount (or more) of passion as I do he is in my list even if he offers me diametrically opposite opinion. Being self righteous can be difficult to elevate as a virtue.

So technically everyone in this forum have my respect from the start, just like the way I see life, everyone have high marks first time I see them or engage them. Some people just start losing marks as time progress others gain a lot more.

As for the current state of exchanges.....

The error is in the question, to my opinion it is an incorrect manifestation of righteous intention (my apologies to the author).

The question was <"The things that make you respect/lookup to a fellow audiophile" >

If I am not mistaken GB's response meant for the "lookup" part but our interpretation may be in the "respect" part.

Then I just realize maybe we are not communicating coherently, what would do you think guys?
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:48 pm

i interpreted the question as follows:

"ano ang hinahanga-an mo sa isang baliw na audiophile?" or

"bakit mo hinahanga-an and baliw na yan?"

:wink:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Racio » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:31 pm

It would be a fellow audiophile's utter altruism in his knowledge and experiences in this hobby of ours, and the way it infects and entices others to join him in this wild and madcap adventure. And I'm so pleased to say that there are a lot of 'em here in this forum. You know who you are... my hats off to you guys! :wink:
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby johnmarc0 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:16 pm

"what would do you think guys" duh! hehehehehe does that mean that I mean to say somethingelse. Seems like we have an oratorical (or will it be a rhetorical) paradox at hand.

bwahahahahahahah
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

The utmost Audiophile virtue

Postby Audio_Tyro » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:56 pm

I highly respect that audiophile who does not forget that we are all travelling towards the same goal, i.e. sonic heaven, however we may use different "vehicle/s" to get there, obviously NOT via a single "superior" vehicle. So, let's enjoy the journey, in a convoy (or "call boy" ba?). Diba ang saya???
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

things that make you respect/look-up to a fellow audiophile

Postby stjohn » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:37 pm

... his height?. . . :wink:

seriously, i look up to people who share what they know in this hobby. those who are always ready to share their experiences as they threaded this darkside of music-loving (i.e. been-there-done-that; sa dami ng tubig na ininom ko, lunod kana). .. you got a question? he's got the/an answer, not because he knew exactly (the best) but that he is willing to lend a helping hand to those who are still practically groping in finding the proverbial "audio bliss" :)

i believe his (her?) music taste is his business, and wether or not his repertoir is limited to just a specific genre or much varied, should not matter much. . . as long as he knows the danger thereof 8)

i also respect/look up to those who believe that enjoying music does not necessarily entail mega-buck sets (cost=quality=good music), though quality REALLY has a price tag :wink: . . . got a million-dollar setup? pakinig naman!

stay cool!
egay
8)

ps. this sometimes seem like a religion :wink:
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby johnmarc0 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:20 am

And Love Is The Answer :lol:
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:28 pm

I have a broad definition of an audiophile. To me, anyone who gives a damn about how his/her music is reproduced is an audiophile so even those who ask around about the best Home Theater In a Box or best PhP100 hedphone or computer speaker IS an audiophile to me.

Now, what makes me respect an audiophile is their ability to infict others with this passion who will in turn spread the hobby like bushfire (hey, not that kind of bush, uncles Racio & John Marco) to other people (or is "victims" more apt?).

Hyperion earned my respect as I have yet to see him turn anybody down for help with a tweak or two. When he cannot articulate why a tweak works (and damn he articulates well), he'll readily invite you to his abode to hear for yourself. The Audio Physic set-up I learned from him saved me from being forever tied to my headphones when listening at (my very small) home.

FrancisS earned my respect after I saw first hand his patience (he dug deep into his vocabulary to describe the Voigt's sound) and generosity (where's that Fisher amp now?) so that others may understand what the hell it is that tube amps, vintage at that, are all about. And let's not forget that this forum we're all reading right now comes from Francis' Wired State.

Pic A earned my respect for his meticulously figuring out my musical preferences and then picking out albums to get me started into classical music, a genre I previously considered the ultimate cure for insomia). I am now as likely to pick out Holly Cole as I am Brahms from my collection.

Rico Severino, Tata Salgado (anyone knows where he is now?) not only preserve my memories of the days I spent in Iloilo/Bacolod eating at Abuy's, Ted's LaPaz Batchoy, Bob's, Palapala, Marina, Breakthrough Villa, etc. but also patiently helped me build my first systems with very limited cash. I can still picture the look on Tata's reaction to my unbelieving expression when he sold me my first over PhP100 per meter speaker cable. I should mention Ferdi in this same breath not only for his patience but also for his true concern to build good systems for customers to the point of recommending other dealers' products!

Rene Rivo and Mang Johnny got me into tubes and now I can't get out. Together with Lito Gelano, they opened a whole new world of pre-owned stuff to this struggling audiophile.

John Marco, Ike T, Ed F, Michael sure sound like they are speaking in tongues to me when they start rattling out those B+, ohms, quarterwaves, etc. terminologies. But they've inspired me to read up on basic electronics and to accumulate tubes (like I told Racio, I'm fast becoming a 12AU7 museum).

I'll use up all of WiredState's storage capacity if I mention each and every Pinoydiophile that has shaped my tastes, knowledge, and gear/set-up. There's Assisi Audio who graciously hosted a pre-amp shootout. There's Racio who unselfishly shared his beloved G's to us who can't even dream of affording them and that Diana Krall ticket (though I'm not sure if he wasactually hitting on me that time!). There's Epoy and Joe3rp who graciously lugged around their CD players so we can hear those not available locally models. There is RaffyO who's trash pre-amp is now my PV11. :D

To the others that I can't write more about, you folks know what your efforts mean. Corrsty, Moz, Rajan, Audio_Tyro, Jason A/Manila, Ambel, Frank M, Edwin J, Yeo, ArnoldC, Arn L, Justjer, Noel D, etc., all of you are key reasons why there are 220 other audio lunatics today who take the time to go through and add to our ramblings on Pinoydiophiles.

Thanks to you all.
rtsyrtsy

Postby Gau_Ban » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:13 pm

[/quote]

what kind of music do you listen to? could list down 5 to 10 song do you think is your favorite.[/quote]

Here are some things I enjoy.

1. Das Lied von der Erde by Gustav Mahler (as well as Symphony no. 2, 5 and 9)
2. Bruckner Symphony No. 9
3. Ravel's Piano concertos
4. Bartok's Concerto for Celesta, Strings and Percussion
5. Bartok's Violin concerto N0. 2
6. Shostokavich Symphony no. 10
7. Orff's Carmina Burana
9. Mozart's "The Magic flute"
10. Brahms Symphones and concertos
11. Beethoven Symphony no. 5,6, 7, 9 and his violin and piano concertos.
12. Prokofiev: Symphone no 1, 5 and 6.

Pare..there are just too many great pieces.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:43 pm

Gau_Ban wrote:Here are some things I enjoy.

1. Das Lied von der Erde by Gustav Mahler (as well as Symphony no. 2, 5 and 9)
2. Bruckner Symphony No. 9
3. Ravel's Piano concertos
4. Bartok's Concerto for Celesta, Strings and Percussion
5. Bartok's Violin concerto N0. 2
6. Shostokavich Symphony no. 10
7. Orff's Carmina Burana
9. Mozart's "The Magic flute"
10. Brahms Symphones and concertos
11. Beethoven Symphony no. 5,6, 7, 9 and his violin and piano concertos.
12. Prokofiev: Symphone no 1, 5 and 6.

I would like to know more about these pieces you mentioned. CAn you share a bit more about what to expect from these pieces? But please do so in the music forum.

Thanks!
rtsyrtsy

Postby Superman » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:10 pm

i agree with bro. vintage_dog...the PASSION for MUSIC!!! :lol:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby JR » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:01 am

Someone who is open-minded to all types of systems, and understands and respects the choices made by fellow audiophiles, whether beginner or veteran.
JR

Postby jetm » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:26 am

What the man said: An Open Mind.
jetm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby aron » Sun May 04, 2003 2:49 pm

for a newbie like me - i think an audiophile is any person who finds time trying to make every cent-worth on his system (irregardless of price and set-up) and more importantly someone who lives with music all throughout life . :)
aron
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu May 08, 2003 5:19 pm

Simple lang requirement ko. Basta walang B.O. and hindi bad breath. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Next

Return to NEWBIE Corner