Newbie : abdeleon

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

Newbie : abdeleon

Postby abdeleon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:40 am

Hi everyone, I'm abdeleon and a newbie. I heard of this forum from philippine watch club where I'm also a relatively new member too. I have been an audio fan ever since but what made me join the forum pronto is to seek expert advice from the maestros here. My 20 year old son approached me asking for an audio setup for his dec 10 bday gift.He is asking for rega rp1 turn table, amplifier of denon brand and infinity book shelf speakers ( brand new coz he expects old man to pa). These may help :
1. Will install in an approx 20 m2 room
2. He is into rock and classical
3. Future digital add-ons capable
4. Suggestions for pre-owned okay
5. Max I can go for this is 40-50k
All your advice will be deeply appreciated. TIA!!!!
abdeleon

Re: Newbie : abdeleon

Postby JackD201 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 pm

abd Jr looks like he's done his homework! :)

My only piece of advice is to get proper stands for the speakers and to not be afraid to experiment with placement. I don't see your son having any problems. It's you that has to be careful Dad. Your LPs might find their way to his room!

Enjoy the bonding experience. I'm sure it will be priceless. I think it's going to be a few years until my boy asks me for his own turntable but I can imagine the smile on my face when that days comes! :clap:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby abdeleon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Sir JackD201, I really appreciate your advice...Means so much to me Sir....Thanks again!
abdeleon

Postby JackD201 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:44 pm

I should be the one thanking you! Your post set the tone for the day. A good vibes day for sure! :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:15 am

I'd take this opportunity and go audition with my kid, if I were in your position.

I'm not really aware of all the audio pushers...err...dealers--daming bago since I was last actively auditioning and shopping. My usual haunts are Rene Rivo near Cash and Carry, Listening In Style/Listening Room and AVDI in Megamall/Shang. Makati Cinema Square has a bunch of options with vinyl too at Bebop. You can indulge both your watch and audio hobies at Architechtural Audio in Greenbelt.

I don't know these guys but they've been posting some interesting deals on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hifi.choice.7?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

My eyes lit up when my daughter told me she want a headphone for Christmas. I was ready to hand her down my HD600 so I can get myself an Audeze but then she added that she wants her new headphones to be in a dazzling color. :rock: I continue to hope that by dazzling color, she means the bad-ass wood finishes of Grado but I'd rather not raise expectations that high!

I pray you have tons of fun!
rtsyrtsy

Postby abdeleon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Sir rtsyrtsy thanks so much for your suggestions. I have visited so far 2 audio pushers/dealers in MCS and the maestro in Calatagan St., Palanan. I should say I could be drawn into this thing/hobby/passion/vice more than my son hehehe. Plan to check out the megamall and shang loop you mentioned before I narrow down my choices for audition with my son. So far, it's still just me doing the leg work, but may I say I'm already enjoying the short audio experience and I expect more fun when my son join in. Thanks again sir!
abdeleon

Postby abdeleon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Update : bought my son's audio hardware from Sir Rene Rivo...what an awesome guy. Thanks all for the help, son got birthday gift and very happy!!!! Now asking for vinyl records. ...I guess more spending for me:(
abdeleon

Postby hypertriode » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks abdeleon! You're an awesome guy (and father) yourself too! Your son rocks! :-)
Here's what father & son took home:
The classic Pioneer A-400X
The instant classic Rega RP-1
A nice pair of vintage Onkyo D-200II bookshelf speakers &
A matching pair of Sabre stands

Glad to be of help, enjoy the music! 8)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby onedown » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:22 am

abdeleon wrote:Update : bought my son's audio hardware from Sir Rene Rivo...what an awesome guy. Thanks all for the help, son got birthday gift and very happy!!!! Now asking for vinyl records. ...I guess more spending for me:(

thanks for the update. with a new system, abd jr will probably opt to spend more time at home. time to visit the marketplace for vinyl shopping.
:D
onedown
Master
Master

Postby abdeleon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks everyone....Sir Rene, help me with the search for a pre loved cd player please, syempre sir yong affordable hehehe tight budget here. :D
abdeleon

Postby abdeleon » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:17 am

Sir Rene thanks again for the cd player!
abdeleon

Postby hypertriode » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:35 pm

:up:
hypertriode
Grand Master

Return to NEWBIE Corner