TOTOBOY a newbie

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

TOTOBOY a newbie

Postby totoboyalburo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:21 am

chaps, I am a newbie here and after looking of the set ups you had, mine is just peanuts but I am very happy with it (Yamaha Receiver for an Amp, Cheap Pioneer CD Player, PSB B6, cheap XLO cable). After the audition at listening in style in Shang rila, yes they do sound awesome, that section where the currency change from Peso to USD, and just looking at the set up the only thing I can afford is a "CD"..... then the sales tech took me to the room where there are loads of Sonus & Amps which looks like they were build by aliens and they do sound awesome but it was dwarfed to the ones outside, those big blue eyes with wipers in them that moves, wicked set up. In the end it all boils down to how much your ears can take in terms of cost. My peanut system which sounds brilliant to me, and I enjoyed it a lot, and I spend most of my sunday just listening to 3 or 4 cds without a break. a lot of times I can sleep with the quality of music it plays. Not like those people in the audio shops where they try to compare the sounds of this and that, and after hours of comparing this and that, not a single song was finished. I don't know about you guys, its like in a band where the guitarist just plays intros to all the familiar songs and not a single song is finished. Probably I am a musicphile if there is a word. I do listen to a wide spectrum of music from Beethoven to Metallica depending on my mood and I believe a decent sound quality is very important to me but not too bloody expensive with reference to the blue eyes with wipers where the cables cost more than my car. I might upgrade later in I have the budget, probably a good power amp and pre amp, solid states not tube valves, although they look awesome but it is the music that I listen. I don't look the amps all the time and the music I listen are always a bit more of rock rather than classical and those amps should be preowned so I can afford it. I don't know if I can get a decent sounding amp and pre amp for less than 50k if its preowned? But I am happy that I have found this forum where I can get inputs from you guys and I do hope you won't advise me again to buy those blue eyes with wipers in them, I just couldn't afford it.
totoboyalburo

Re: TOTOBOY a newbie

Postby hearhead » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:26 am

Stick around more.

You'll be surprised how helpful this community of music junkies are.

Gear racism isnt in vogue here. Yup some owners of systems that cost the same as the economy of a small country are here, but you'd be surprised how they actually root for people who can find musical bliss in any stereo system -- unironically.

Its easy to feel small with less expensive gear but whats important is what gets your foot tapping and your head bobbing to the music. Most of the members never lose sight of that fact even when their gear is "otherworldly".

They'll even remind you that in the end we give less credit to that one piece of gear we all have that is more priceless and more beautifully designed than any multimillion peso system:

The Human Ear

So welcome to wiredstate fellow newb, its fun being a newbie here.

God knows im having a blast backreading everything as Im also starting my own audio journey like you.
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:14 am

Welcome Totoboy,

Here at WS the common thing that binds everybody from the head-fi-ers, vintage afficionados, DIYers, HT/MCH fellows, vinyl addicts, tubophiles, big irons, monitor maniacs and big riggers is FUN.

Enjoy!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby darkest_error » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:15 pm

hearhead wrote:
we all have that is more priceless and more beautifully designed than any multimillion peso system:

The Human Ear

Totally agree.. 8) plus lots of DIY's and mixing n matching components make this unique hobby really fun and satisfying. Sometimes even raon parts will do. If you can do some math, go on. If not, experiment using your priceless audio test instrument as what hearhead mentioned: The Human Ear. Just be careful not to get them busted, we only have a pair to enjoy this hobby. ;)
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jonas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:56 pm

the important thing is you are enjoying the music now. I remember when I was still a student it was pure bliss listening to my favorite music through a dictation tape cassette player playing cassette tapes. and I listened to it 8-12 hours a day! I don't get to experience that now even though I have more expensive equipment. so I think music appreciation is mostly your hearing and how your mind responds to it rather than the media and the equipment.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:39 pm

welcome to wiredstate. thanks for sharing your story. here at ws, what matters is the joy a system, including the music, brings to its owner, regardless of the system's price tag.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby joejet » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Warm welcome to you bro.. Basically, Wiredstate guys are damn " Good Guys". You'll feel right at home.
cheers.
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jon_p » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:34 am

Welcome to ws.

Tama sinabi nyo sir...this is and should always be...

FOR THE LOVE OF THE MUSIC.

...and your 50k budget is good.

The most important thing is...kumakanta ka habang nakikinig. :rock:
jon_p
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Why be intimidated???? We're all here for the enjoyment of music :)

And that's the bottom line :)

Welcome to WS :)

BTW, you should hear how a 35K system sounds like ;) :D :D :D :D :D ... you'll be surprised :D :D :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:17 pm

My right foot taps away happily in the car using a $50 Pioneer player! The problem for me is the speeding fines would have purchased a major upgrade!

It's the music that counts, that's why my air guitar's are so cheap :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby totoboyalburo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:06 pm

thanks pep..

waiting for my NAD set and cannot get hold of myself within the past few days............
totoboyalburo

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 pm

WELCOME TO WS !!!

50K will buy an amp, but we don't know if it will drive or even mate with your (future ?) speakers. IMHO speakers will contribute the most bang for the buck when upgrading, just to give you an idea, say you have an amp worth 200K and speakers worth 20K, the "sound quality will be limited due to the speakers, now reverse the cost and drive a 200K speaker with a 20K amp and you would be blown away and still have room for improvement. Also if you first buy the amp, you would now be limited to speakers that can be driven by that amp, start with the speakers and look for an amp that can drive those speakers.

You also mentioned you listen to rock, have you ever considered adding a subwoofer ? (you should :) ) for me a subwoofer is the "Great Equalizer" between those uber expensive large systems vs the small bookshelf speakers, ok not exactly equal, but it sure closes the gap BIGTIME !!!

totoboyalburo wrote: I don't know if I can get a decent sounding amp and pre amp for less than 50k if its preowned?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:38 pm

I use a 1500 php DAC :) and play "Air Drums" we can start an air band, Air "Keyboard"and "Air Bass" na lang :devil:

Mamimili wrote:My right foot taps away happily in the car using a $50 Pioneer player! The problem for me is the speeding fines would have purchased a major upgrade!

It's the music that counts, that's why my air guitar's are so cheap :D
qguy
Master
Master

Postby totoboyalburo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I am waiting for my NAD amps........... cannot sleep in the night
totoboyalburo

Return to NEWBIE Corner