2 Weeks - Europe

contains off-topic and miscellaneous discussions on anything and everything other than audio -- jokes, inspirational articles.

Moderators: audiostar, dante

2 Weeks - Europe

Postby ChitoC. » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Please help.
Planning to have a 2 week vacation in Europe this summer with my wife and 11 year old son. Our plan is to have a 1 week stay in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence etc.) and another week in Spain, France and Switzerland. We initially agreed that aside from Italy, Switzerland is a must (even if overnight lang kasi mahal). Can we still squeeze Spain and France or just visit one. If just one, what country should we visit? Thanks.
ChitoC.

Re: 2 Weeks - Europe

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 pm

I will not answer the question on how to pack Europe into a couple of weeks. I think that you risk having a very rushed and superficial experience of the old world. You can certainly do it. If I were to do something like this, I would read and prepare a lot beforehand.

However, 2 weeks is more than decent time for 2-3 cities. Again, this is personal opinion as we prefer a more relaxed pace, we prefer to linger in spots we like, we do not mind getting aimlessly lost in some unesco world heritage site old town in case we are unable to execute flawlessly on our itinerary. Speaking of itineraries, check out Frommer's suggested itinerary. It is always my first stop when planning a trip.

I lived in Switzerland. Yes, it is not cheap especially given how strong the franc is. But it is certainly doable. We avoid eating in sit down restaurants. We'd buy French bread or croissants at the corner boulangerie, sausages and cheese on sale at a Migros or Coop, and we're good. Though it is one of those places that scan be seen on a shoestring. Lots of the attractions are not paid--hiking in the alps/glaciers, walking along the awesome lakes, cycling in the vineyards, etc.

Other places like Portugal, Spain, Italy Are easier to visit on a shoestring. If i am not ready for Switzerland, I will save it for till I am so I can experience it's true majesty! The cost of those trains, funiculars, cable sr's, add up pretty quickly. But how can I miss those gorgeous mountain passes? How can I not sit down for a raclette or fondue? And one of my greatest frustrations--why did I not bring home a real cuckoo clock?

Depending on the time of year you are going, some sights are a must, like the tulip blooms in the Netherlands during Spring.

Bon voyage!
rtsyrtsy

Postby dimfer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:24 am

we did Paris - Strasbourg - Munich - Venice - Rome in 11 days and it's on the rush side. If we will do it again, would certainly allow more time in Paris , Venice and Rome. Trip advisor was my best friend when I was planning everything. Based on the little that I learned: the best way to see target cities is to book a city/guided tour (we did all through Expedia) on the earliest opportunity and go back to the areas that you really liked on our own. We paid $135/person for the Vatican tour, it is very well worth it because it includes admission and you skip the very long lineup. The tour guides will also point out a lot of details that you will otherwise miss.

I totally agree with going with a slower phase.

I hope to do the Swiss Highend Audio Show in the future and will try to squeeze in only another 3 cities to spend more time on each city that we hit.

We were very impressed with the European train system and will definitely use it again. If you plan to use it, I suggest you book as early as you have established your itinerary, it could save you money.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:40 am

I would skip France and Switzerland and do Italy then Spain. If you are foodies I would recommend Bilbao - San Sebastian (maybe a quick side trip to Bearitz, France) - Barcelona. If you are more into architecture, Madrid train to Granada quick drive to Seville. I think France is a trip unto itself. IMO it deserves it.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ChitoC. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:45 am

Thank you guys for your suggestions.
ChitoC.

Postby hshrader » Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 am

Bilboa is amazing!
hshrader
Citizen
Citizen