Front-loading Washer/Dryers Recommendations and Stories

contains off-topic and miscellaneous discussions on anything and everything other than audio -- jokes, inspirational articles.

Moderators: audiostar, dante

Re: Front-loading Washer/Dryers Recommendations and Stories

Postby Gau_Ban » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 am

xmusic wrote:How can you rate the electolux unit that you have? did it give you any headache? hehehe

It was on sale so it was the best value front load washing machine when I was shopping around. I bought it around middle of last year so the long-term durability remains to be seen. So far, so good. I was aware of the sealed tub issue when I bought it and I had to take a leap of faith in the electrolux brand.

My sister bought a Whirlpool front load and she had it repaired a few times. But that could be the fault of the maids who tended to overload the machine. As the whitegoodsuk website points out, the capacity of front loads are over-rated because of a quirk in regulations. Yes, you can put 6 or 7 kilos like the machine says but the tub will be too full to wash properly. You can only fill the tub to about 1/2 to 2/3 full.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby xmusic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 am

Gau_Ban wrote:
xmusic wrote:How can you rate the electolux unit that you have? did it give you any headache? hehehe

It was on sale so it was the best value front load washing machine when I was shopping around. I bought it around middle of last year so the long-term durability remains to be seen. So far, so good. I was aware of the sealed tub issue when I bought it and I had to take a leap of faith in the electrolux brand.

My sister bought a Whirlpool front load and she had it repaired a few times. But that could be the fault of the maids who tended to overload the machine. As the whitegoodsuk website points out, the capacity of front loads are over-rated because of a quirk in regulations. Yes, you can put 6 or 7 kilos like the machine says but the tub will be too full to wash properly. You can only fill the tub to about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

thanks to you advice about loading only half or 2/3 of the full capacity... i will do that

finally, i was able to buy LG brand, separate washer and dryer... i will post some pictures and reviews soon
xmusic
Citizen
Citizen

Postby xmusic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 pm

this is what i finally got:

i will post a review soon

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

xmusic
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:56 am

Anyone with a front loading Samsung or LG with Direct Drive Inverter?

Has yours broken down? If so, how much was repairs?

How is the power consumption?

=======

A bit of trivia on who are the players in the Philippine washing machine market and their respective market share.

27% - Sharp http://www.sharp.ph/product/washingmach ... index.html
20% - Panasonic http://www.panasonic.com/ph/consumer/ho ... -auto.html
16% - LG http://www.lg.com/ph/washing-machines/a ... g-machines
11% - Samsung http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/home ... es/filter/

http://www.euromonitor.com/home-laundry ... nes/report
Published May 2015.

=======

Things of note about the market share

- All unmentioned brands occupy 26% of the Philippine washing machine market
- Sharp does not have any inverter or front loading models
- Panasonic has only one front loading model. No inverter models
- LG/Samsung have front loading inverter, top loading inverter and twin tub systems.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:47 am

Those who use inverter washing machine whether front or top loading do you notice a drop in water or power consumption in your next statement?

I was eyeing the 13kg LG WD-1252RD7 front loader but need to reduce my water & power bill by 2,500-3,000/month to get an ROI of 15-18 months.

Per US EPA a typical US household (assume nuclear family)

Note that most US households use a front loading washer that use less water than PH households who use top loading washers that use more water.

Toilet and and clothes washing would probably switch places on the chart within a Philippine context.

I'm upgrading from a 9.0kg 3D TW-9000DX twin tub.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Dear SD-6,

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buyi ... hines.html

Look up the Speed Queen washing machines.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:27 pm

we've been using Maytag front loading washing machine and dryer for 8 yrs without a hitch. I think it is important to note that using the correct detergent - the ones labelled HE makes a huge difference as front loader and top loader washers operate differently.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SD-6 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:15 am

Gau_Ban wrote:Dear SD-6,

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buyi ... hines.html

Look up the Speed Queen washing machines.

I actually saw that and it caused my delay of purchase until I got direct feedback from members of WS and other local Internet forums. The results were overwhelmingly favorable with only 1 negative feedback. All others had no service issues. I was googling inverter front loading washing machines in the US, UK and Indian markets and LG is often named.

I could imagine the SQ costs considerably more than the LG to own and run. I was computing ROI from the P42,000 of the 10.5kg LG WD-1480RDS6 and assuming it saves me P500/month from water, electricity and detergent then an ROI of 7 years? Assuming P1000/month savings then 3.5 years? I was hoping for a swift ROI of 12-15 months like the LG inverter split ACs I got.

I do worry about service level as well as SQ does not have significant market share.

I traced our absurd water consumption of 52-71cu.m. for the past 10 months to leaks. Average US household consumes about 5cu.m. of water a month per person. I assume this includes drinking water from the tap unlike here.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:33 am

Speed queen as well as American Homes are manufactured by the same factory in the US.

Unless you are located in the province, service and parts is not a problem. Service is also handled in house as compare to other brands that outsource it to third party.

Maybe not well known in households, but most laundromats here use them as well as whirpool/maytag.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby SD-6 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:10 am

Good to know SQ has proper support. I was looking at how much they cost on Amazon and all front load start at $900 without sales tax.

A former co-worker who used to run a laundry mat told me about Maytag and front loading washers.

Another laundry mat owner told me they use Maytag/Whirpool in their operations.

They considered LG but their load of 16/day would wear out the LG. He uses LG at home.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:22 am

Dear SD-6,

I am kicking myself in the behind because I didn't pay attention to the Speed Queen washing machines when I was out shopping. It was only when I went to a laundry and I saw the SQ machines there that I looked up the brand.

I like their KISS approach and if you look around the web people mention the durability and reliability of the machines. So my deciding factor for purchase is ease of repair; and cost and availability of spare parts. Their home machines, AFAIK, are using the same mechanisms as the commercial machines. They also claim to use metal instead of plastic parts.

It seems like you have your heart set on the LG. I admit I found their washing machines attractive but I had concerns about their long term reliability. I especially watch out for electronic touch panel controls (easily 5k pesos once buttons stop working) and I prefer the rotary dials (more robust, cheaper to repair).

I will happily buy LG refs though. We bought one in the 80's and we replaced it just a few years ago. So we got about 25 years out of it. Compressor had to be replaced once.

http://blog.yaleappliance.com/speed-queen-washers
http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/24 ... -long-post

PS. If I could afford it, I'd get a miele. :-)
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:09 am

I'll answer backwards. ;)

My preferred brand for refrigerators are Panasonic & LG because of inverter. Which model to get would be based on available floor space designated for the refrigerator.

You may want to replace your quarter century LG as it may cost more to power. A new one may pay for itself in less than 24 months in the form of reduced power bills. We original came from a GE.

My choice on LG has more to do with Philippine market share for washing machines, the brand being one of US ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2015 and because, inverter. India and the UK ranks it among the good washing machine brands that are available locally.

I was seriously eyeing the sole Panasonic inverter front loading washing machine but the price was 2x the LG probably because it was made in Japan.

The purpose of the purchase is to reduce my power, water and detergent bills and lessen our dependency on our laundry person.

To partially do this I changed all three 10+ year old ACs in the house to inverter despite 12 months of resistance. This changed my bill from 1974kWh to 1156kWh after 25 days use. ROI is less than 15 months. It would been further reduced to 12 months if I did not follow the Philippine-only practice of over sizing inverter ACs by 0.5hp. Upside with inverter is power consumption would be the same regardless of horsepower in the same room.

I am talking to a LED lighting brand for their industrial products rather than the ones we see off the shelf. Off the shelf LEDs tend to have a less than 10% improvement over CFL and other florescent lights. I am targeting efficiency of 2-3x better than florescent. For example our most efficient fluorescent lamp in our household is 70.8lm/W. I am hoping to get something between 140-210lm/W.

Changing the AC, lights & washing machine hopefully will get me to below 500kWh/month.

As for the water I think it may not be that significant after finding out that we were suffering from embarrassing water leaks. Our household should be consuming 15-20cu.m/month of water while our consumption range is between 52-71cu.m/month.

I computed the water use of the LG to be less than 20cu.m/year or less than P800/year. Assuming 3 full loads a week at 126L per load.

Senior Citizens whose names are on the bill have the perk of 5% SC discount if they consume less than 100kWh/month and less than 30cu.m./month. Google the requirements if this applies to you.

I think if the washing machine lasts at least a decade before being too expensive to repair would be good enough. By 2025 I am sure there will be a model that's more power, water and detergent efficient. And honestly, who doesn't like something shiny and new?

Forbe's wealthiest Filipino families are in the energy industry. They may be on to something especially the Philippine is currently at par with Japan in terms of power rates.

I do agree that a durable, simple and reliable machine is good to have especially if you are not the primary operator. But I question how much is the initial cost of purchase and operating cost for a period of at least 1 decade. Which brings me back to the P42,000 price tag of the LG. This would not be a problem if i was the one doing the laundry but I have someone who can do the operation for me.

Finally read this link https://www.bijlibachao.com/appliances/ ... guide.html as it explains the washing practices between India and western countries like the US & UK. Many may be surprised that Philippine washing practices are much closer to Indians as the practice is cold water.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:20 am

Haven't bought the washer yet but want to share some good news about the water bill after having the leaky faucets replaced and leaky toilets retrofitted.

Water
Mon cu.m
Nov 66
Dec 52
Jan 50
Feb 52
Mar 57
Apr 71
May 71
Jun 56
Jul 59 <= replaced mis-sized toilet flapper
Aug 52
Sept 43 <= fixed leaks mid-month
Oct 30

Still targeting 15cu.m./month. Translates to below P500.00
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 pm

Anyone using a 15KG LG F4015RN4VC?

SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 am

For those looking for an LG front loading All-In-One Washer/Dryer here are the models being sold at stores.

I am sharing these information as LG's website is very unhelpful when it comes to filtering and sorting their machines whether they are dedicated dryers, dedicated washers or All-In-One Washer/Dryer.

These are arranged from the oldest to newest models.

Links to the model number points to the owner's manual.

Kilogram weights correspond to how much clothes it can accommodate per wash or per dry.

Cash on delivery prices are sourced from https://www.olx.ph/

13kg washer/7kg dryer WD-1252RD7 P45,390
8kg washer/4kg dryer WD-1496VDT P33,500
15kg washer/9kg dryer F4015RN4VC P48,300
10.5kg washer/7kg dryer F1450HPRB P40,750

Other machines on the site are dedicated washers or dedicated dryers.

I decided on a front loading All-In-One Washer/Dryer for the following reasons

- least amount of water used per wash
- least amount of power used per wash
- least amount of detergent used per wash
- convenience when helper is unavailable for whatever reason

I chose LG for the following reasons

- good experience with their inverter split AC and their OLED TV.
- the brands winning awards on washing machines in other countries
- market share in the All-In-One Washer/Dryer segment

Washing Machine Buying Guide

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buying-g ... ying-guide

It appears I should have gone with the 8kg washer/4kg dryer WD-1496VDT. >_<

I called P&G +632 894 3955 and Unilver's +632 588 8800 hotline and they told me that they do not market "high-efficiency detergent" locally. They both instead market it as front loading washing machine detergent and these are Ariel Power Gel and Breeze.

LG's installer recommends Ariel detergent.

Delivery of my washer&dryer was prompt with LG's installers coming to the house 20 hours after the laundry machine arrived.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 am

Anyone own a steam generator iron like those sold by Philips Philippines?
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:14 am

Alternatively anyone using a steam press?

SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:31 pm

New all-in-one front loading washer&dryer and washer was just posted on the LG PH website this week. No price yet on olx.ph

LG F2721HTWV
* 21kg washer/12kg dyer.
* Good enough for 12-14 persons at 1.75-1.5kg of laundry per person.
* PDF Manual

LG F1408NC3L
* 8kg washer-only.
* Good enough for 4-5 persons at 1.75-1.5kg of laundry per person.
* PDF Manual

I like the aesthetic of the both models as they are late 2016 models.

Still happy with my mid-2016 model though. :)
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby darkest_error » Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi, I'm searching for the best value front loading washing machine and my attention seems to lean towards LG 10.5kg washer/7kg dryer F1450HPRB. Any thoughts? It's a bit expensive for me but if its worth it then i'ma go get one. The capacity is large enough for me and my family. It has 100% drying which is good but I dont think i'll be using it that often, but nice to have just in case. Very few mechanical buttons, almost all are touch activated unlike other LG models. Lastly it looks good because its black in color. Any thoughts??
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 pm

May 2017 is 304kWh lower than May 2016.

I wonder if this has to do with my replacing the broken down twintub washer & spinner with an all-in-one inverter front loading washer & dryer.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to TIME OUT!