Topics on Religion and Politics NOT ALLOWED

contains off-topic and miscellaneous discussions on anything and everything other than audio -- jokes, inspirational articles.

Moderators: audiostar, dante

Topics on Religion and Politics NOT ALLOWED

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:10 am

please comply ASAP.

NO NEW TOPICS on POLITICS and RELIGION must be started at WS effective immediately.

All violators will automatically be banned.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kabubi » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:24 am

hello Francis,

hope you wont mind this aside but does the new directive mean that we cant continue on the old threads touching on Politics and Religion? (for example, the ZTE thread).

thank you and here's wishing you and your family a HAPPY EASTER :D

buboy
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 am

Great Decision :!: :!: These sort of topics will only promote animosity & divisiveness not to mention bruised egos 8)

Let's go back to music & audio 8)
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 am

Makes sense.
Peace.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Happy Easter VD! Malaki Easter Eggs diyan galing Ostrich :lol:

Hope the fam is having fun with Ziggyboy.

Nice decision. I come to WS to escape from the often times dreary political life and have had to pull the trigger when some folks tended to be too sweeping. Glad that's over. Call me when you get back. I'm on break na :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby conspicuous » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:50 pm

so we're safe with the "i wanna be like killer mike and KD" threads :?: :D

YIPEE :!: :!: :twisted: :twisted: :wink: :D

HAPPY RESURRECTION DAY Y'ALL :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Le_Stat » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:22 pm

di ko nasubaybayan thread na yun ha. Malamang masama ending.
Le_Stat
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Voltraizer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Happy Easter to All!!
:D
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Good decision. These topics only foments divisiveness contrary to what WS is all about. :) Happy Easter VD :!: :!: :!:
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby trauma » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Sayang.

Now we can't even write and read about the word of our Lord in the "Inspirational Readings" and "Reflections for the Day"

oh well, at least we can still very much ENJOY reading about ergonomic chairs, joke joke jokes and Manila Ocean Park.
keep them coming!!!!
trauma
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:08 pm

i am alright with this
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby Voltraizer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:13 pm

trauma wrote:Sayang.

Now we can't even write and read about the word of our Lord in the "Inspirational Readings" and "Reflections for the Day"

oh well, at least we can still very much ENJOY reading about ergonomic chairs, joke joke jokes and Manila Ocean Park.
keep them coming!!!!

trauma,
take note:
NO NEW TOPICS on POLITICS and RELIGION must be startedat WS effective immediately

it is clear that only new topics on such subject are covered . if you start a new topic on religion and politics,it will automatically be deleted by the moderators.
Last edited by Voltraizer on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rlmaceda » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:15 pm

I support this decision.

Reading different views on religion and politics can be enlightening, but the behavior exhibited during the discussions can also be disheartening. I hope it wasn't brought about by our inability for decent discourse despite our differences.
rlmaceda
Citizen
Citizen

Postby trauma » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Voltraizer wrote:
trauma wrote:Sayang.

keep them coming!!!!

trauma,
take note:
NO NEW TOPICS on POLITICS and RELIGION must be startedat WS effective immediately

it is clear that only new topics on such subject are covered . if you start a new topic on religion and politics,it will automatically be deleted by the moderators.

TRUE. I admit to have missed some "semantics" in that commandment. Then we can still read about our Creator and His Religion after all.
However one sided this may be at least some presence of the Lord can still be found in this site.
trauma
Citizen
Citizen

To Dissent is Justified

Postby teridon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:43 am

to ban the discourse on politics, at a time when the country faces its toughest times insofar as governance is concerned, unquivocally gives the impression that audiophiles and the day jobs we are in ought to be insulated from the business of good governance.

to do such would be the most callous thing ever, especially in the light that whatever it is that may happen in the country today ultimately affects not only our workplaces but the kind of political and moral values next generation of Filipinos, albeit audiophiles, would certainly hold high.

it is for these reasons that i wish to register this opposition for this new policy in WS. let the moderators ban all those who may overstep the boundaries of the passionate discourse, but never ban in a supposedly free and fun forum the articulation of the members' thoughts and concern on an altogether important chapter in the country's history.

we may relish hours on end the vivid soundstages and warmness of our records and our equipment, but nothing should precludes us ever from conclusively determining for ourselves the politics that we ought to believe in. i think we are all mature individuals, professionals and business leaders alike, to be able to temper the comments we declare on matter of politics, in the same manner that we have all been too accommodating and understanding when it comes to a technical discourse on the merits of tubes and transistors.

besides, as audiophiles who are bound by the creed of highest fidelity to the sound and to the music, all the more must this principle be encouraging in demanding the highest fidelity to duty and governance from our leaders.
teridon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:59 am

There are many other forums where you can "discuss" politics, by all means, join those forums.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:29 am

audiostar wrote:Good decision. These topics only foments divisiveness contrary to what WS is all about. :) Happy Easter VD :!: :!: :!:

I fully agree to Val's comments! We usually avoid discussions or conversations with friends or acquaintances here in the US as this creates animosities rather than camaraderie. Of course, the US is a very diverse country with so many religions and politics is based on ideology.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby randybarba » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 am

conspicuous wrote:so we're safe with the "i wanna be like killer mike and KD" threads :?: :D

Agree with Conspi. Mas Ok ito :lol:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: To Dissent is Justified

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:55 am

teridon wrote:to ban the discourse on politics, at a time when the country faces its toughest times insofar as governance is concerned, unquivocally gives the impression that audiophiles and the day jobs we are in ought to be insulated from the business of good governance.

to do such would be the most callous thing ever, especially in the light that whatever it is that may happen in the country today ultimately affects not only our workplaces but the kind of political and moral values next generation of Filipinos, albeit audiophiles, would certainly hold high.

it is for these reasons that i wish to register this opposition for this new policy in WS. let the moderators ban all those who may overstep the boundaries of the passionate discourse, but never ban in a supposedly free and fun forum the articulation of the members' thoughts and concern on an altogether important chapter in the country's history.

we may relish hours on end the vivid soundstages and warmness of our records and our equipment, but nothing should precludes us ever from conclusively determining for ourselves the politics that we ought to believe in. i think we are all mature individuals, professionals and business leaders alike, to be able to temper the comments we declare on matter of politics, in the same manner that we have all been too accommodating and understanding when it comes to a technical discourse on the merits of tubes and transistors.

besides, as audiophiles who are bound by the creed of highest fidelity to the sound and to the music, all the more must this principle be encouraging in demanding the highest fidelity to duty and governance from our leaders.

Point very well made and well taken teridon. I think however that the spirit of the rule is not to suppress the political or religious beliefs of the general membership but rather to insure that no single member impose his own on anybody else.

WS was created for the purpose of providing a forum for a common interest with some latitude for more harmless pursuits. Politics and Religion are by no means common and historically many flame wars have started and ended badly here. As for the limitation of scope to the "not so serious", it isn't anti-democratic as it might first seem. Just as the case in the constitution where proposed laws are limited to one topic, there should be nothing wrong with limiting the scope of the forum to the less volatile subjects of life.

As ArnoldC says although much less gently, there is no shortage of sites and forums dedicated to Political and Religious commentary and many of us are members of one or more of those fora and get things off our chests there. WS is for fun and we moderators do try our best to keep it fun for everybody on a purely voluntary (sic we do this for the love of it and are not employees of WS). Moderating a debate on ZTE or the correct spelling of God's name is no fun. In fact it is tiresome most especially since most of what gets written are some sort of rehash of media soundbites or dogmatic re-interpretations. More importantly however are the TROLLS.

Trolls? Those troublemakers whose only reason for participating in discussions is their need to put someone else down while hiding in the anonymity of cyberspace. While most trolls here have either shaped up or left for good. These two topics attract more trolls.

I support the new policy.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Mamimili » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:01 am

arnoldc wrote:There are many other forums where you can "discuss" politics, by all means, join those forums.

Agree!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Next

Return to TIME OUT!