Tribia Filipiniana

contains off-topic and miscellaneous discussions on anything and everything other than audio -- jokes, inspirational articles.

Moderators: audiostar, dante

Postby pigdog » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:05 am

i guess they need to take cold showers after they make them condoms! hehehehe
pinoy_usa8 wrote:TRIVIA: do you know how they make rubber gloves in China ?
Workers deep their hands into melted latex, then air-dry them.
Now guess how they make condoms?
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby triokenwood » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
WireTrain wrote:
bb3 wrote:not really trivia but more of a qiestion.

EDSA Epifanio De los Santos Avenue:
why is the most famous thoroughfare in the country named after this guy?
i think he's a writer. but aside from that, what's his claim to fame?

another EDSA question...

How many lanes does EDSA have?

Depends on what area of EDSA you are. But in my recollection, used to be a 8 lane highway back in the 70's. Public Works removed the island separating the public transport and private lane, making it a 10- lane highway. The expanded it to 12 lanes in some areas in the 90's by reducing the pedestrian walkway on both sides..... now back to 10 and 8 lanes after BF/MMDA brought back the island separators 8)

Used to be called Highway 54 (54 meters, which I think it is the total width of the two lanes). How it became EDSA is the subject of an article in Panorama magazine a couple of months back--I cannot exactly recall (signs of Alz.... he he he). The article was written by EDSA's great granddaughter.
triokenwood
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bruno » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:54 am

Who were the main characters of the children's book "Come and Play"?
bruno
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:28 am

i dont know this one! maybe i am too old or i left manila by then :o
pigdog
Master
Master

Re: Tribia Filipiniana

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Nice to see this thread is still alive and well. On Bruno's question I can make a guess on random memory but is it the pair of Pik pak bum and Tik tak tok? If not can you give us the answer to refresh our memory tia. :)
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:37 pm

SoLiDtUbEs wrote:Nice to see this thread is still alive and well. On Bruno's question I can make a guess on random memory but is it the pair of Pik pak bum and Tik tak tok? If not can you give us the answer to refresh our memory tia. :)

hey welcome back havnt heard from you in a long time :)
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 am

pigdog wrote:
SoLiDtUbEs wrote:Nice to see this thread is still alive and well. On Bruno's question I can make a guess on random memory but is it the pair of Pik pak bum and Tik tak tok? If not can you give us the answer to refresh our memory tia. :)

hey welcome back havnt heard from you in a long time :)

Thanks Sir matagal na nga you were still starting on Fanatic last I heard ngayon Master na hehe best regards!

-S-
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:55 am

time flies doesn't it! hope all is well with you :)
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby pigdog » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am

time flies doesn't it! hope all is well with you :)
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Mon May 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Sir,

Nice avatar you got there. Here's a few trivia on the fab four. Among them who married the most women? And who is the famous musician who married George Harrison's former wife? And who was involved with Petula Clark of "Downtown" and "Don't sleep in the subway "fame? Try not to use your search engine ok hehe that's cheating. :D

Best regards!

-S-
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Eric Clapton is correct .. you know the girl's name?

Patti Boyd the songs Layla and Wonderful Tonight were written for her by Eric.

SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Wed May 06, 2009 5:34 pm

going back to the subject of Philippine History,
lets see if anyone can figure out who was interned at the North cemetery in la loma. He was a member of the US House of Representative was a contender for the democratic party nomination for president in 1920 and serve a key position in the Philippines during the US Administration.

see if anyone can identify this:
and who was the american commander that was sent to engage the group behind this flag

and here is an easy one, he served a key position in the philippines during the early years of American Administration, he was extremely popular with the Filipinos and eventually got elected as US president with the blessing of Theodore Roosevelt, later on was appointed as US Chief Justice
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Wed May 06, 2009 5:47 pm

francis harrison

can't see pix. looks like the host is blocked by our firewall.

william taft
onedown
Master
Master

Postby pigdog » Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm

you got it right on the first and third question, the attached picture should be a real challenge! as this is the first time i enocuntered this image
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby pigdog » Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm

here's a tragic yet juicy one, this was considered one of the open secrets going around manila and washington on the 1930's
lets see if anyone can uncover the story of "Dimples" as this should be very very interesting, and worth a schmaltzy hollywood treatment!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby setup2 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:14 pm

pigdog wrote:g

see if anyone can identify this:
and who was the american commander that was sent to engage the group behind this flag

The flag of the Moro or The Sultanate of Sulu...
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Akala ko logo ni Manny Pacquiao :D
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 pm

ok since nobody was able to figure out who "Dimples" is, this is how it goes.

"Dimples" otherwise known as Elizabeth Cooper also known as Isabel Rosario Cooper (from IMDB.com) was a mestiza actress, her father was scottish and her mother, filipino-chinese. "Dimples" is known for her vivacious character and her beauty. she was credited for being the first Filipina actress to be involved in a kissing scene. but apart from her carreer in philippine cinema, Dimples was also the mistress of Gen Douglas Macarthur. she met him when she was only 16 years old with Gen Macarthur already in his 50's, who was already married and has a son. When Gen Macarthur was sent back to Washington, he brought Dimples along and set her up in an apartment. it was around the late 30's when Gen Macarthur got himself embroiled in a legal tussel with gossip columnist Drew Pearson (who threatened to summon Dimples) that gen Macarthur was forced to dump Dimples. He was said to have paid her USD15,000 alledgedly delivered my Macarthur's adjutant a certain Col. Dwight Eisenhower. Dimples never left the us as per Macarthurs requests, instead she head west to california were she setup a hair salon, and eventually went back to manila to appear in some later films. to date she had around 5 films to her name. because of the breakup with Gen Macarthur, dimples went through depression and eventually took her own life in 1960, were she overdosed on sleeping pills. she died in the US
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby setup2 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:37 pm

pigdog wrote:going back to the subject of Philippine History,
lets see if anyone can figure out who was interned at the North cemetery in la loma. He was a member of the US House of Representative was a contender for the democratic party nomination for president in 1920 and serve a key position in the Philippines during the US Administration.

We became the neighbor of F.B. Harrison at the North Cemetery for some time, My late father bought the rights to a lot that we will later find out, part of Harrison's plot... The old family mausoleum was so deep in the heart of the North Cemetery so it was moved to a plot nearer the main gate... We only found out that it was part of Harrison's plot years after the move, I believe it was to celebrate 25 years of his death, the American Ambassador together with the Mayor of Manila came to lay a wreath and our mausoleum was somewhat blocking Harrison's grave... I think the mayor was irked and conducted an investigation... We presented all the documents showing everything was legal with city hall approval... They offered to move us and we agreed but later on they decided instead to move Harrison to a better site...
setup2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Wed May 06, 2009 11:47 pm

That was a very interesting bit of information Joel!
pigdog
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to TIME OUT!