The MOST quiet Aircon

contains off-topic and miscellaneous discussions on anything and everything other than audio -- jokes, inspirational articles.

Moderators: audiostar, dante

Re: The MOST quiet Aircon

Postby SD-6 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Tito vintage_dog, LG sells a 19db AC but it is limited to 1.5HP. My aim in the purchase is highest EER followed by lowest indoor operating dB. I hope I am wrong but the two LGs I mentioned may not have the most quiet of indoor operating dB as they did not publish it.

http://www.lg.com/ph/residential-air-co ... g-HS-12IPB
http://www.lg.com/ph/residential-air-co ... g-HS-09IPB

I spoke to my brother about upgrading our window AC but he's putting more priority towards solar panels and net metering.

Keep in mind that the indoor operating dB varies based on fan speed. Low speed fan being the most quiet. As I pointed out to the salesperson I will be operating it at low speed fan when it reached the tempt of 24-25°C.

I made the chart I shared using http://www.mraircon.ph/store.do

Some have pointed out that the online store has outdated models so it is partially helpful.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby John Martin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Koppel is reliable but the fan is noisy.
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SD-6 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 am

John, it was mentioned on another forum that Koppel has a very small after sales support team.

Best prices of the LG Split Inverter 2.0HP AC EER 13.2 (imperial) 13.9 (metric). I assume it excludes installs

37,298 - HS-18IPB
37,000 - HS-18IPI
32,998 - HS-18ISI

I was pointed to a Kolin Split Inverter 2.0HP AC with EER 15.57-10.3 (metric). I assume it excludes installs. Indoor operating sound level of 37db.

37,500 - KSM-20MB1INV
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 am

I called LG Support and asked about the indoor operating sound level and they promised to SMS me back concerning the IPI and ISI. While on the line I asked them about the dealers I am talking to at the moment.

I was told that one of the dealers I am talking to is not on LG's authorized dealer's list. I must apologise that I cannot reveal the name of the dealer here as I do not want to be part of a flamewar or be stalked by the unauthorized dealer. Do not worry I did not link the unauthorized dealer on any of my posts.

When the price is too good to be true call the brand if the dealer is authorized. It will save you headaches in after sales support.

BTW I just found out that there are inverter washing machines and inverter generators. The same as with the refrigerator they promise much lower power consumption. These are crucial seeming power rates are the highest in Asia and we tend to upgrade these appliances every decade or so.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:59 pm

A little ot. I have an LG aircon although not the newer inverter type. It seems that the temp goes up higher before the compressor kicks in as compare to my Panasonic or previous concepcion brands. Thus you feel that the room gets hot then cold again. After a long time, I've finally figure out that you have to set the thermostat to the coolest position so that compressor runs more often and you have a continuous coolness feel in the room.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby carbondated » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Apparently it's called hysteresis. It's the allowance that the thermostat gives before making the air conditioner work hard again to bring the room to the "set" temperature. The newer aircondtioners are programmed will a longer hysteresis to improve their energy efficiency ratings, so the room gets way too hot before the compressor kicks in again. The new inverter air conditioners and the older magibat sa kuryente don't have this problem.
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:52 pm

York :up:
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Quite happy with Panasonic so far. :up:
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SD-6 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:09 am

Coincidentally, a story on LED light efficiency reaching 100 lumens per watt appeared while I was reading my newsfeed. Which brought me to finding out that Cree & Philips are the top 2 LED lighting companies. Sadly Cree appears to have no presence here in the Philippines. I was told by a US-based interior designer that GE is also a great brand for LED.

Below is a timeline on how LED makers were able to improve the lumens per watt of LED lights.

What I learned from my research is that there are 100 lumens per watt LED lights being sold in the Philippines. For example the Philip 10.5w (85w equivalent to incandescent) produces 1055 lumens making its efficiency 100.48lm/W.

Other Philip LED lights vary from 96.55lm/W to 70lm/W.

lm/W is important as it relates to efficiency of the LED light. More light it produces per watt means you will not need to to spend more on power.

Another thing to consider and often ignored is the color rendering index (CRI). In a nutshell CRIrefers to the ability of the source of light to show the colors of various object as faithfully to natural light that is ideal. There is a scale to it which tops at 100. 100 being natural sunlight.

Ideally lm/W should be 90 or higher, power consumption below 10w, lumens more than 900, 90 or better CRI and more than 25,000 hour life.

So far I've seen LED lights that does all these things locally but exceed 80 CRI and reach 25,000 hour life.

Other brands I may not consider as they are not known to EnergyStar.gov. Yes, there are lots of cheap LEDs out there,

I visited a call center along EDSA a few months back and I was surprised at how good the lighting was in the place especially after I used the call center lights with my SLR.

I look forward to changing all my light fixtures to LEDs.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:02 am

My apologies on being off topic but my assumption is if you are going after a power efficient inverter aircon (other than for the operating sound level) then you will also be interested in all power efficient electrical/electronic equipment as well like LED bulbs and tubes.
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SD-6 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:46 am

A question, if a Room requires 2hp from a conventional AC would it mean we need a 2.5hp inverter AC?
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby John Martin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:02 am

Yes. it will need at least 0.5hp more, 1hp better.
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:22 am

Not really. My office about 40 sqm. Uses 2hp inverter. It use to have a 3 ton unit. Old bedroom about 25 sqm uses a 1.5hp inverter that replaced same capacity.

It takes a longer time to cool though on inverter but once temp is achieved... same na. Experienced that in my music room where I got the most basic panasonic inverter split. However from previously mentioned room, we do not encounter such problem as units have turbo mode function that turns off once desired temp is achieved.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby quarterback » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:27 am

AFAIK, the only reason why we buy expensive inverter type a/c unit is to save on power consumption (electric bill). If you increase the hp rating by 0.5 - 1.0 HP from a normal a/c type unit doesn't it negates the savings?
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gau_Ban » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Any experience with Daikin?
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:33 am

quarterback wrote:AFAIK, the only reason why we buy expensive inverter type a/c unit is to save on power consumption (electric bill). If you increase the hp rating by 0.5 - 1.0 HP from a normal a/c type unit doesn't it negates the savings?

Ka Chito,

i bought a York inverter type aircon for my mom around 2.5 years ago and it has proved to be a very good investment. Cost me a little over 40k but the added cost over a conventional type aircon was offset in a year's time. the room size should dictate how many HP you will need. Cost-wise, i was advised that it's better to get a little more HP than needed rather than an underpowered one that has some difficulty in cooling a room.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby minggoy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:35 pm

any review for the new window type inverter aircons?
im not sure if our condo PMO allows split type aircons
thanks
Last edited by minggoy on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
minggoy

Postby zenaudio » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:39 pm

kabubi wrote:
quarterback wrote:AFAIK, the only reason why we buy expensive inverter type a/c unit is to save on power consumption (electric bill). If you increase the hp rating by 0.5 - 1.0 HP from a normal a/c type unit doesn't it negates the savings?

Cost-wise, i was advised that it's better to get a little more HP than needed rather than an underpowered one that has some difficulty in cooling a room.

Yes on this.
Inverter aircons use variable speed compressor motors that slow down if you don't need full power. That's where the savings come from vs a fixed speed compressor that is "full throttle" when it's on.
If the inverter Aircon is underpowered it will always be in "full on", negating the variable speed advantage. Better to have some allowance for those hot summer days or when the heat load is higher than normal. 8)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bogart » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 pm

My Window Type AC just conked out. I intend to get a Panasonic Split Type Inverter as a replacement. My bedroom is 25sqm. Is 2HP good enough even during summer? Or should I go for the 2.5HP? TIA! :)
Bogart
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:14 pm

From Meralco

A 2HP unit should be good enough, unless it's a sunset facing bedroom with glass walls and very high ceiling...
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to TIME OUT!