Tono Violin - first impressions last

Post your listening experiences, impressions, reviews of audio systems and equipment.

Moderators: Hyperion, audiostar

Postby conspicuous » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:41 pm

marty_e,

i didn't realize you had so many amps! :) did you have time to try it out on the trilogy kt88 amp? did you use only one set of speakers?
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby keith » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:49 pm

Good one Marts. Now all you need is an umbrella ;-)
keith
walastick

Postby marty_e » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:53 pm

conspicuous wrote:marty_e,

i didn't realize you had so many amps! :) did you have time to try it out on the trilogy kt88 amp? did you use only one set of speakers?

Please don't think they were all mine :oops: . I hope I didn't give that impression. Not all the tubes are mine either :cry: . I own the cheap ones - the rest are loaners :D . The number of amps reflect how many houses I've been to to hear their Violin's in their place. Believe me, i've been all over this side of Zapote Rd to hear the Violin in different settings.

I really am a one system guy (not counting HT) and am happy that way.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:00 pm

marty_e wrote:
conspicuous wrote:marty_e,

Please don't think they were all mine :oops: . I hope I didn't give that impression. Not all the tubes are mine either :cry: . I own the cheap ones - the rest are loaners :D . The number of amps reflect how many houses I've been to to hear their Violin's in their place. Believe me, i've been all over this side of Zapote Rd to hear the Violin in different settings.

I really am a one system guy (not counting HT) and am happy that way.

oops, sorry too! :oops: i was speed reading so i guess i did misinterpret original post. :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:05 pm

marty_e, thanks marty :) fascinating, these tubes ;) the important thing is your are happy with what you have achieved.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Audiogeek » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:09 pm

marty_e wrote:tubes per se cannot be reviewed in a vacuum (pardon the pun) but reviewed in context of the equipment it was plugged into at the time.

He he. If only we can hold each tube by our hand, stick it near to our ear, and listen how it sounds. Why not. Anyway, good review.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby BenC » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:44 pm

Hi Amandarae!

That sure was very enlightening for me! ... This brings me to another question, if you don't mind... This "voltage drop" thing being mentioned about different rectifier tubes, are they constant? Meaning, will they in the case of the 5AR4 give a constant drop of 40v when used in the PS? Or is this drop the maximum drop it will give? (Is this "drop" the same as "voltage sag") --- Pasensiya na kasi commerce ang naging kurso ko at di electronics. :oops: Just verifying yung mga nasasagap kong tsismis! :lol:

Cheers,
BenC
BenC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:21 pm

Marts, may umbrella na rin ako :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mva » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:33 am

Akala ko ba pang achay? Match ba with M3?
mva
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:13 am

mva, :lol: :lol: :lol:
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:03 am

:lol: British Racing Green. Bagay sa Jaguar :lol:

LF: 2pcs Imola Red folding umbrella w/ 38" diameter. Pls. PM JackD201 and mva :lol:

Imola Red Tono Violin with BBS footers and Pilot Sport pads hmmm matawagan nga ang Autohaus
JackD201
Immortal

Postby arnoldc » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:11 am

BenC, hindi sya constant. the voltage drop will depend on the current load. normally when we mention a voltage drop it is the "typical" voltage drop under a "typical" load.

pwede ba ko mag commerce? mas dai ata pera dun eh :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby amandarae » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:10 pm

BenC wrote:Hi Amandarae!

That sure was very enlightening for me! ... This brings me to another question, if you don't mind... This "voltage drop" thing being mentioned about different rectifier tubes, are they constant? Meaning, will they in the case of the 5AR4 give a constant drop of 40v when used in the PS? Or is this drop the maximum drop it will give? (Is this "drop" the same as "voltage sag") --- Pasensiya na kasi commerce ang naging kurso ko at di electronics. :oops: Just verifying yung mga nasasagap kong tsismis! :lol:

Cheers,
BenC

mahalo!

To ad to what arnoldc already mentioned, voltage drop and voltage sag are two different things. The former is normally associated to the decrease of voltage in a conductor when current is flowing, the latter is a state or an occurence normally associated with an anomally or fluctuation in signal strenght.

For the example I stated in the previous post, the 40V drop at 100ma on the 5AR4 can only be a constant(or very close to it) if the current flowing is 100ma because it is a condition as a result of an specified current value. As long as you have 100ma current, then the condition will exist. Of course it could change also. Think of the tube as a single resistor for discussion sake. Since voltage is a result of the product of the current and resistance, assuming that resistance(impedance for ac) is constant, then any change in current reflects a change in voltage.

Sag on the otherhand as I mentioned is a fluctuation which is normally associated to a source of energy. It's value was determined because a deviation occured from a reference at any given time. For example, if the wall outlet gives 220v and while monitoring it you saw an instantaneous dip/change of say 207V for a brief period and then went back to 220V again, then the 13V difference is the sag.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby BenC » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:07 am

Boss Arnold,

Dami pera sa Central Bank! :lol:

Amandarae,

Mahalo! ... Pasensiya na uli at medyo nagkahalo-halo na yung utak ko! :lol: ... Isa pa hong tanong if you don't mind ... If using a 5AR4 in place of a 5Y3 will give a higher B+ voltage (because of the former's lower voltage drop) will adding a resistor after the 5AR4 to achieve the same B+ using a 5Y3 not change the operating points of the circuit?

Cheers,
BenC
BenC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:22 pm

BenC wrote:Boss Arnold,

Dami pera sa Central Bank! :lol:

Amandarae,

Mahalo! ... Pasensiya na uli at medyo nagkahalo-halo na yung utak ko! :lol: ... Isa pa hong tanong if you don't mind ... If using a 5AR4 in place of a 5Y3 will give a higher B+ voltage (because of the former's lower voltage drop) will adding a resistor after the 5AR4 to achieve the same B+ using a 5Y3 not change the operating points of the circuit?

Cheers,
BenC

Bosing, Sobrang OT na tayo dito!!! Baka kiskisin nung moderator yung heels niya, mapunta sa Kansas itong post natin. :lol:

Well, I guess you can do that but need to consider the power rating of the resistor. If it was me, I would do it with a voltage regulator after the rectifier.

Then again, why would you want to do this? There are lots of reliable (and audiophile approved!)5Y3 and 5AR4's on the market. If your electronics calls for a 5Y3, then by all means, use a 5Y3 not a 5AR4! Likewise, if it is designed for a 5AR4, then use a 5AR4. Inter-changing between the two without knowing the consequences in the future is not worth the trouble. But of course, it's your call!

mahalo!
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 pm

oo nga bakit? suspetsa ko yun ang rectifier na meron ka ano? he he :D

OT uli. ala bang thread about tube rectifiers? paki sama na lang ito dun... hindi ako mod dito eh :P
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby BenC » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:22 am

Amandarae,

You're right! Baka di lang Kansas abutin 'tong topic na ito. Next kong pag aralan naman yung voltage regulator! :D

ArnoldC,

Galing mo talaga! Paano mo na laman na puro GZ34 lang rectifier ko! :o ... Nasilip mo siguro sa mahiwagang tubong crystal! :roll: ...Move aside Madame Auring !!! ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mabalos!
BenC
BenC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:25 am

BenC, tube regulators- VR105, VR150 :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Re: Tono Violin - first impressions last

Postby Mamimili » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am

Which came first, the coke bottle or "standard" shape tube envelope?
Whichever was first, why was the shape changed?
There is no technical reason behind my question, just curious, wondering if there is a good reason to try a coke bottle 5Y3 :^)

My Violin has been back on duty for almost a month, so inevitably my thoughts are of tube rolling...
Mamimili
Master
Master

Re: Tono Violin - first impressions last

Postby tony » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:48 am

coke bottle or ST "shouldered tubes" came first and found in bigger consoles,
as time went on the GT or glass tubes emerged, straight glass is easier and cheaper to make.
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Reviews, Listening Impressions