MBL and Tannoy System

Post your listening experiences, impressions, reviews of audio systems and equipment.

Moderators: Hyperion, audiostar

MBL and Tannoy System

Postby hearhead » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Got a chance to hear a high end Tannoy and MBL setup. Man, these are tasty!

The two systems were night and day, yet both delivered exquisite sound quality. The Tannoy system was refined and warm, while the MBL boasted a brawny bottom end and expansive sound stage. While the Tannoy system excelled in vocals, the MBL system killed it in complex orchestral passages. There was nothing that both systems couldn't handle with aplomb though.

More info at:

http://hearhead.com/symphony-of-the-sen ... -luxury-2/

hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Re: MBL and Tannoy System

Postby planarribbon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:43 pm

i-sangla ko man ang kaluluwa ko kay ______, di ko pa rin kayang makabili ng ganito. that these setups are being sold in the philippines only goes to show that there is real money being made in our economy. ay, kung sabagay, for the 9 gentlemen featured in today's issue of the PDI, that's pocket change.
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:11 pm

planarribbon wrote:i-sangla ko man ang kaluluwa ko kay ______, di ko pa rin kayang makabili ng ganito. that these setups are being sold in the philippines only goes to show that there is real money being made in our economy. ay, kung sabagay, for the 9 gentlemen featured in today's issue of the PDI, that's pocket change.

:lol:
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Nice review :) 'though in my own experience in hearing a pair of Tannoys, given the correct room setup, I do think that the pair can hold out on its own even with complex orchestral passages :)

@ planar,

hanggang tingin lang talaga tayo hehehe
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby planarribbon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:19 pm

@ jon:

eh, buti ka pa, kaya ng talento mo gumawa ng setup na makakatapat sa mga ito. ako, talagang makikirinig na lang (at maghahanap ng sanglaan).
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Nice review :) 'though in my own experience in hearing a pair of Tannoys, given the correct room setup, I do think that the pair can hold out on its own even with complex orchestral passages :)

@ planar,

The Tannoys were really surprising for a full range and if the showroom was smaller and If it was paired with a different amp parang may ibubuga pa talaga siya.
Pero shock and awe were on the side of the MBLs it easily filled the 300sqm showroom up to the washrooms with non fatiguing sound.

Didn't post the price on the write up because it was so disheartening!

1M++ for the Tannoy System and Almost 3M for the MBL

Hanggang panaginip lang!

:o
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm

hearhead wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:Nice review :) 'though in my own experience in hearing a pair of Tannoys, given the correct room setup, I do think that the pair can hold out on its own even with complex orchestral passages :)

@ planar,

The Tannoys were really surprising for a full range and if the showroom was smaller and If it was paired with a different amp parang may ibubuga pa talaga siya.
Pero shock and awe were on the side of the MBLs it easily filled the 300sqm showroom up to the washrooms with non fatiguing sound.

Didn't post the price on the write up because it was so disheartening!

1M++ for the Tannoy System and Almost 3M for the MBL

Hanggang panaginip lang!

:o

True, given MBL's speaker design it can easily fill up a room that size :)

Kaya DIY nalang ako, di ko rin afford yang system na iyan :o :$ :$ :$
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Oo nga, let's DIY na lang ...... meron baka puwede yun Mark Audio full range drivers into Mini Fonken enclosures ...... parang Tannoy na itsura. For the sound, I think the Mark Audio drivers implemented properly will hold on its own.... 8)
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby planarribbon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:46 pm

hehehehehe. bilib talaga ako sa inyo, mga bro. you DIY guys make it all sound so easy. and secondarily, napaka humble ninyo talaga. most of the engineering and analysis that you'd put in any project would probably be equal to or in excess of what dedicated R&D teams in company labs do. 'di ninyo lang binibilang yung hourly rate for your creativity and expertise, kaya tuloy parang mura yung kinalalabasan ng mga gawa ninyo. kung si henry sy lang ako, i'd gather you all up and make my own world-class audio company.
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:46 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Oo nga, let's DIY na lang ...... meron baka puwede yun Mark Audio full range drivers into Mini Fonken enclosures ...... parang Tannoy na itsura. For the sound, I think the Mark Audio drivers implemented properly will hold on its own.... 8)

I'd love to hear that!
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:52 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Oo nga, let's DIY na lang ...... meron baka puwede yun Mark Audio full range drivers into Mini Fonken enclosures ...... parang Tannoy na itsura. For the sound, I think the Mark Audio drivers implemented properly will hold on its own.... 8)

Yung Beyma sana, kung nakapagpapasok ulit si Lin :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:00 pm

planarribbon wrote:hehehehehe. bilib talaga ako sa inyo, mga bro. you DIY guys make it all sound so easy. and secondarily, napaka humble ninyo talaga. most of the engineering and analysis that you'd put in any project would probably be equal to or in excess of what dedicated R&D teams in company labs do. 'di ninyo lang binibilang yung hourly rate for your creativity and expertise, kaya tuloy parang mura yung kinalalabasan ng mga gawa ninyo. kung si henry sy lang ako, i'd gather you all up and make my own world-class audio company.

Actually, magastos din DIY, kasi daming tapon :o :( But the fun with DIY is the perfection :) No holds barred ika nga :) Kung may budget cap ang R&D sa DIY malamang overshoot na ako :$ :$ :$
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby hearhead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm

planarribbon wrote:hehehehehe. bilib talaga ako sa inyo, mga bro. you DIY guys make it all sound so easy. and secondarily, napaka humble ninyo talaga. most of the engineering and analysis that you'd put in any project would probably be equal to or in excess of what dedicated R&D teams in company labs do. 'di ninyo lang binibilang yung hourly rate for your creativity and expertise, kaya tuloy parang mura yung kinalalabasan ng mga gawa ninyo. kung si henry sy lang ako, i'd gather you all up and make my own world-class audio company.

+1

Meron akong mga unposted na articles about DIYers sa audio, will just find the time to write something that'll give em justice.

:D
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby darkest_error » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Jon Agner wrote:

Actually, magastos din DIY, kasi daming tapon :o :( But the fun with DIY is the perfection :) No holds barred ika nga :) Kung may budget cap ang R&D sa DIY malamang overshoot na ako :$ :$ :$

agree. indeed, it is "perfection". iba sa pakiramdam yung pinakikinggan mo ay sariling gawa or setup mo, your DIY output reflects also your attitude. magastos, yes, pero most of the time di na napapansin na magastos na pala because sometimes it never really does matter at all in the first place. may not have spent hundreds of grands for my system, but i know for a fact that i have already spent serious hard earned money for this audio hobby of mine.
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 am

I still smile when I remember the Tannoy Westminster posted for sale at Sulit.com.ph. Gulat na lang ako.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Gau_Ban wrote:I still smile when I remember the Tannoy Westminster posted for sale at Sulit.com.ph. Gulat na lang ako.

May Tannoy York pa at a up for sale sa sulit hehehehe....
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby obsi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Got to spend some time with MBL's big bad boys listening to Aiza Seguerra's CD. Nagbaha yata doon sa drool ko :lol:

obsi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:49 pm

obsi wrote:Got to spend some time with MBL's big bad boys listening to Aiza Seguerra's CD. Nagbaha yata doon sa drool ko :lol:

Uy! Is this at 1 Hifistreet? Parang familiar yung Macbook na white plus we also listened to a jap pressed Aiza CD dun sa Viridian.
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby obsi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Yup at Hifi Street, I want to bring a blanket and pillow to sleep there next time hahaha :D
obsi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:15 pm

obsi wrote:Yup at Hifi Street, I want to bring a blanket and pillow to sleep there next time hahaha :D

Sali ako sa camping na yan, dadala ako ng tent!
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to Equipment Reviews, Listening Impressions