Initial review - Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier

Post your listening experiences, impressions, reviews of audio systems and equipment.

Moderators: Hyperion, audiostar

Re: Initial review - Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier

Postby polaris » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 am

Dodie wrote:Sir muy im already dead set to get hk990, sir mark gave me a very decent price for this amp. Im planning to get an lsi9 which is rated 4omh & 20-200w amp requirment. Hindi b sir sobra yung hk990 kse sa specs nya up to 300w pag 4ohm? Masisira b speakers sir pag full vol sya? Sensya na sir kse dont know how omhs works on speaker-amp setup. Just basing my thinking sa numbers of the specs.

dodie,

if i may: any speaker will likely toast its voice coil if driven by any amp on full volume, either from being under-driven(too little power) or over( too much amp power)...the 4-8 ohm rating matching is not critical in your case. by the time you near the full volume mark, your ears are likely to give up first.

the 990s are reasonably powerful and should have sufficient power for your lsi9 (is this polk audio?)....the key point to remember is to have enough power, with enough headroom for those louder parts of the music you listen to. like a car, which is comfortable running 120 kph in the expressway, but has enough reserve for those moments you'd like to kick faster by a few moments so you can overtake a car in front of you...

cheers
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:12 am

The HK990 should be more than enough to power any speaker. Like the previous poster, the primary danger is either you damage the speakers when an inadequately powered amp clips, or when you overpower the speaker by cranking up the volume. Just listen at an acceptable level and the speakers should be ok.

Why not try out the B&W 600 series (like the 683) or the CM series (CM7). I've heard the 683 speakers powered by the HK990, and they really bring out the sound of the speaker. . .
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Dodie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 pm

@polaris-thanks sir for the info. @muypogi-will try to audition it sir at avshop. By the way sirs what im planning are bookshelves and 2 sub setup. Medyo ma bass po ang sound preference ko eh. Will that be ok too instead of floorstanders? sir nasubukan nyo na din po b sa tt yung amp? Whats your impresion sir? Any preference too wth regards to cdp? Thanks sir. And also sirs why is that a lot of setup ive seen here use multiple amps? May ss amp tapos may tube amp pa. Para saan po b yung ganung setup? Bkt po kailangan gumamit ng pre amp? Pasensya na sirs sa mga questions, just want to be educated about this hooby before dipping too much into it. Thanks again.
Dodie
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Stagea » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Dodie, the LSi9s are excellent speakers. Just make sure that you have the right stands for them, as the tweeters are mounted pretty low (you need tall stands, or low seats). They can handle quite a bit of power in bursts, so it's unlikely that you'd break them (unless you drive them well into clipping). 2 DSW Pros or DSW Micropros would be excellent with those speakers (or you can look into the LSi15 towers, as they can also output quite some bass).

For amp matching, you can go ahead and try out the HK 990 with them, as it might be to your liking. However, I'd prefer brighter-sounding kit with these speakers (or alternately, brighter sounding speakers for the HK 990). The LSi series speakers have a fairly warm signature, unlike the RTi and TSi series.
Stagea
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Dodie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Stagea wrote:Dodie, the LSi9s are excellent speakers. Just make sure that you have the right stands for them, as the tweeters are mounted pretty low (you need tall stands, or low seats). They can handle quite a bit of power in bursts, so it's unlikely that you'd break them (unless you drive them well into clipping). 2 DSW Pros or DSW Micropros would be excellent with those speakers (or you can look into the LSi15 towers, as they can also output quite some bass).

For amp matching, you can go ahead and try out the HK 990 with them, as it might be to your liking. However, I'd prefer brighter-sounding kit with these speakers (or alternately, brighter sounding speakers for the HK 990). The LSi series speakers have a fairly warm signature, unlike the RTi and TSi series.
many thanks sir for the inputs.
Dodie
Citizen
Citizen

Postby luismorizono » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:45 pm

sir Dodie, did you push through with your plans of getting HK 990? I read that hk 990 is in stereophiles recommended gears. what's your listening impression if i may ask. TIA!

:) Luis
luismorizono
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Equipment Reviews, Listening Impressions