MILF (Marantzs I’d Love to Fondle)

Post your listening experiences, impressions, reviews of audio systems and equipment.

Moderators: Hyperion, audiostar

MILF (Marantzs I’d Love to Fondle)

Postby bb3 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Ok. Call it Hi-end burn out if you will. But I guess my foray into audio has taken a different path.
I have been bitten by the vintage bug the last few years and have acquired a decent collection over that time. One of the units that stand out over the pack is the Marantz Model 2325 receiver.

The Marantz 2325 is a 125 watt receiver and one of the company’s contenders during the “watt wars” of the mid 70’s. Retailing at about $800 when it was introduced in 1974, it would sell for about $3500 at present, counting inflation. I have always lusted for this receiver ever since high school but it was just a dream to own one with my mere student’s allowance. So when a friend tipped me that his uncle had one lying around and for sale, I quickly rushed over to see the unit.

I found the 2325 lying on the floor, dusty and ignored amongst the latest modern HT gear at the uncle’s den. The telltale signs (crackling noise as you adjust the volume, etc..) of neglect was present. Apparently, she hasn’t been used for quite some time.
What a waste! I told myself.
I asked if I could audition the unit for a night and promised to bring her back the following day.

This is her story.

A teenage model in 1976, she must be hitting her fifties by now. Yes, she did age; but gracefully if I may say. She may not have the reed-thin body of twenty something girls but still has the right proportions to catch that second look. I did notice some slight “bulges” here and there but hey, I aint no Robert Redford either.

After about an hour of cleaning the receiver when I got home, I marveled at the cosmetic condition of the 2325. Except for some minute nicks on the sides, the brushed aluminum faceplate seemed flawless. The dial was impeccable. Some scratches on the metal cover of the receiver was evident. But if I get hold of the original wood case in the future, I could bring this unit back to its original glory.

She just wanted to talk,
So I obliged.

This vintage receiver hasn’t been used for a while so I didn’t want to abuse the unit by playing at concert volume levels. I just wanted to check if all functions work and was curious if that legendary “Marantz Sound” could still send goosebumps up my arms.
She didn’t fail me. It was goosebumps galore as I played Ahmad Jamal’s “Wave”. That signature Marantz warmth was still there as I remembered it in High School. Lateral soundstage was unbelievable coming out of the Dynaco A25’s. Jamal’s keyboards were trotting from center to left and back while bass and drum brushes positioned themselves left and right respectively. Busog na busog ang midbass although I would have preferred a little more air on the higher notes of the keyboards. I found depth lacking so I switched to other tracks. Bill Evan’s “You Go To My Head” proved that the 2325 could adequately offer more depth and air. The cymbals were now about 3 feet back and the trumpet solo soared.

A woman her age probably hardly touches any beer. She asked if she could whip up some drinks from the bar and came back with two mean Martinis (shaken, not stirred) :) . As she took the first sip, she inched her dress up a bit and folded her legs up on the couch. Elegant!

Still not wanting to push volume levels up, I decided to put on some lounge (aka elevator music).
Strings on Mantovani’s “Pieces of Dreams” and Billy May’s “Summer Samba” were just heavenly.
I don’t know if it is the supposedly bloated soundstage that Marantz delivers but there is something about listening to these tunes on vintage receivers that somehow match themselves to a T.
Am at a loss for words, so just call it “old school elegance” if you wish.

As she talked, I just looked at her. I could see the start of a few wrinkles on her face. But these somehow seemed to make her more attractive – like comparing natural beauty against the photoshopped cover girls in today’s magazines.
She caught me staring at her and stopped at mid sentence and smiled. I asked her why and she responded by taking off her shoes and asked if I could massage her foot. For a moment, I was taken aback. But then . . .

I obliged.

The 2325 definitely has its flaws. One is the arguably bloated soundstage. Focus may not be as pinpoint because of this. Critics also complain of a midbass hump on this unit. Air around individual instruments is sometimes lacking. It also may not extract the minutest nuance. If you want to count how many foot stomps Belafonte made at the Carnegie Hall or hear the spit as Carol Kidd sings, this is definitely not for you. But if you want to sit back and listen to Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” and unconsciously bob your head as the chorus kicks in or if you want to play air guitar as Santana belts out “Incident At Neschabur”, you might want to read on.
While lacking most of what audiophiles may look for in an amp, the 2325 delivers musicality with flying colors. It’s warmth is midway between tubes and clinical solid state – A Michelle Pfieffer among receivers.

She somehow talked away her burden that past hour or so and asked if we could shift the mood to higher gear.
I placed some records for her to dance to as I sat back and watched her.
She danced as if transported back to her youth. I could sense she was in high spirits.
I was happy seeing her this way because this is the way she ought to be.

Ok, let’s crank up the volume, bring out the axes and put in some good ‘ole classic Rock n Roll because this is where vintage SS gears like the 2325 excels.
Savoy Brown “Tell Mama”, Cold Blood’s “Valdez in the Country”, Stones “Get Off My Cloud” – you get the picture.
The 2325 fed the A25s with ease and more. PRAT was perfect as the 125 watts drove like a 357 Chevy at the Skyway at 3am. The bane of a bloated soundstage that critics complain about is now a boon.
Give me that wall to wall sound when Steve Ray plays that slide. That midbass hump on the 2325 is a blessing when listening to the drum solo(anemic on other systems) on Zep’s “Moby Dick”.
I have never enjoyed listening to “No Time” by the Guess Who as much as I do now that the 2325 is hooked up. The lackluster recordings on Guess Who albums have always been my frustration. The coloration introduced by the receiver now makes it a pleasure to listen to.

So why does it sound good on these early 70’srecordings? Robert (rvc) and I have a theory.
Producers/emgineers of these records probably tuned their ears to stereo equipment such as the 2325 and mix/mastered the sound accordingly. Steve Hoffman confesses listening to his recordings then on
a receiver (forgot the brand/model) similar to the 2325.

She took a breather after about an hour of dancing. As she walked back to where I was sitting, I thanked her for a wonderful night. She took both my hands and looked me in the eyes. I could notice the start of a tear building up in the corner of her eye. I had the sudden urge to shrug away all pretense and give her a hug.

I held back.

She: Thanks too for tonight.
Me: Do you want another massage?
She: I’ll take a raincheck.
Me: No prob.
She: Ok, here’s what. Next time you give me that massage, I’ll have something for you too.
Me: Really? Mind if I ask what that may be?
She: Basta, wait nalang. I’m sure you’ll like it. . . (and with a naughty smile) I’m sure you want it . . .

Wow! I felt an unexpected rush of multiple emotions building up.
I know that we all, at one time or another, have had our fantasies of our own Mrs. Robinsons.
So do I do a Dustin now?
Naaaah! Too presumptious of me.
So when she asked if I could take her back home, reluctantly. . .

I obliged.

We hear music. In fact, as audiophiles, we listen to music. But how often do we really feel the music?

Stormy Monday – Allman Brothers band. Decent recording on the 2325 , but nothing to really write home about.
Suitable imaging with Dicky Betts on right, Greg on keyboards up center and Duane just behind Greg towards the left.
Depth? Two layers, three at most. Veiled? A little. Timbre? Can’t say. Highs and lows?
Could benefit from a little extension.
But was it musical? Did I feel it? Definitely!
Bett’s almost jazz-like rhythm seemed like a musical contradiction against Duane’s raw blues riffs.
At adequate volume levels, one could almost feel Duane’s intentional distorted slide playing on his Sunburst Les Paul as tribute to the title.
This is unlike his clean almost violin-like sound found in “Melissa”, E. Reed”, Layla” etc..
As the song progresses to the jazzy/swing segment, one could also sense, Greg’s buoyancy. Hindi nanggigil sa keyboard, Ang bilis ng bitaw.

It was past 3am by then so I decided to call it a day.

As we walked out towards the door, I thanked her again.

Me: Hey, hope we could do this again some other time.
(Slowly, she turned back to face me)
She: You know what? I think I’d like that massage right now. . .

Do I oblige?

End of part 1

--------------------------------------
Dedicated to Pic Anonuevo.
My mentor, my friend.
He taught me how to listen.
Farewell buddy! Thanks for lending me your ear.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: MILF (Marantzs I’d Love to Fondle)

Postby Bagets » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Wow, thank you for this post sir :) Sir Pic must be smiling now. Decided to dust off my old Kef speakers and hook up the NADs-- Back to the future and looking forward to part 2 and beyond.
Bagets
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 am

Darn, I miss the times when you used to post a lot Boy. Get the hint?

MORE! MORE! MORE! :clap: :clap: :clap:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby quarterback » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 am

a vintage post from boy b! :clap: :clap: :clap:

please hurry up with part 2. :D
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Now I hope that part 2 would not be that far behind :clap: :clap: :clap: :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby northwardnimbus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:31 pm

yay! parang penthouse. bitin!
northwardnimbus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby harvey_a_vasquez » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:38 pm

hehe nice post sir... im eagerly waiting for the part 2
harvey_a_vasquez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Sir, are you boy bustamante whose into vintage Sansui receivers? Your post is phenomenal and titillating! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby enzolm » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for the great read, Boy. Something to look forward to in WS.

Pic would have loved to read this.

Warmest regards.
enzolm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby knoxv » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:40 pm

sir, nice post! very interesting. i will be following this thread. i have the younger sister, the 2285.
knoxv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby docsialu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Ang galing nyo magsulat sir :clap: :clap: :clap:
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hypertriode » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

naalala ko tuloy yung Marantz 2265/Marantz 6300/AR-48S ko way back late 70's Boy! :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby rvc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 am

partner,

a friend introduces his lady to a friend. i'm waiting. maybe we can take her out sometime. a threesome, perhaps? :devil:

is it the winston or the coffee? is it the recording, or our ageing ears? but once you get lost in the company of a lady such as that, all else goes out the window and i know she must be special.

and yes. to pic, cheers. well written, my friend.
rvc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

A literary masterpiece in the making. It's posts like this that makes logging in to wiredstate worthwhile. :bow: :bow: :bow:
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 am

Many thanks for all your compliments!
Marami palang alagad si Dustin Hoffman dito. :)

I started this piece about 2 years ago and never really got around to finish it. In fact, I almost forgot about it already. When I heard the news about the passing away of Pic, something tugged me to attack the keyboards of my PC and finally wrap up the review.

I had to pull out the 2325 out of hibernation, hooked it up to the Dynacos ( I was using a pair of Epicure L100 then) just to confirm what I wrote earlier.

Before I end, I feel that introductions are in order.
Meet “Mrs. Robinson”
with original WC31 wood case

So there you have it . . .

Ok, ok, so you want to know what happened then.
To diffuse the anxiety, here’s part 2.
I’ll make it brief.

After that fateful “massage”, Mrs. Robinson never left the house and we have been making beautiful music eversince.
I still give her massages once in a while, but more often than not, I fondle her knobs.

HOY! Treble at Bass knobs ang ibig kong sabihin dito!

Then about a year ago, guess who moves in with us. . .

Mrs. Robinson’s twin sister!

. . .Now I know how John Ritter felt :)

Cheers!

PS. Yes Jack, I miss those days too ;)
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 am

Boy,

IF EVER you will have to let go of one of the sisters, pls reserve her for me. you can only menage for so long. (yup, the spelling is correct) :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:35 am

kabubi wrote:Boy,

IF EVER you will have to let go of one of the sisters, pls reserve her for me. you can only menage for so long. (yup, the spelling is correct) :D

:D :D :D :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

excuse me bb3 for the OT....

but would you know the difference between epicure l-100 and epicure epi-100. I've been looking for the later for a long time now after hearing how it sings in a friend's house. however, the brand seems obscure and cant find much info over the net.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby bb3 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 pm

endrik35 wrote:Sir, are you boy bustamante whose into vintage Sansui receivers? Your post is phenomenal and titillating! ;)

Hi endrick, yes I have a few vintage Sansui receivers.
Btw, Ting refurbished the table he got from you. Ang ganda na! It now proudly stays beside their dining area.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 pm

enzolm wrote:Thanks for the great read, Boy. Something to look forward to in WS.

Pic would have loved to read this.

Warmest regards.

Hey Ricky! Kumusta na?
Your Christopher de Leon CD (Joey's Song") is still here with me. . .
. . .somewhere :$
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Equipment Reviews, Listening Impressions